What Size Container

A customer has a question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

“What size container should be used for white widow auto what is the finish size container?”

5 gallon is ok, dont go any smaller, unless you have no space , then 3 gallons should be somewhat ok, you just going to end up with smaller plant…

2 Likes

personally i use 3 gallon air pots or fabric pots… they work well enough for me but as @Ragnar lots use 5gallon pots so maybe I’m missing a trick there :confused:

1 Like

plants will only get as big as their root systems will allow and bigger roots=bigger fruits there’s nothing wrong with 3 gal pots if you are pressed for space and have time to water and feed more often. The extra volume of 5 gal means they hold water longer can grow bigger have more bottom weight for stable footing can be vegged longer without being root bound etc… It isn’t a trick just space and time based

3 Likes

for me 5gallons just seems like a lot specially for an auto that’s on a limited time scale, but what you say about bigger and better root systems i understand which is why i use fabric or airpots to not only eliminate root knot issues but to help get a better root system for a smaller pot…

but if you are saying a 5gallon pot is better suited for an Auto doing say a 100day grow from start to harvest then heck i have 6 fabric 5gallons never been used as i thought they would be too big? as in wasting grow time?

that would be matter of preference since I prefer to have to water less often so 3 gal in a warm grow room drys far faster which can be a good or bad thing depending on how much time you have for your ladies

I’ve always heard the bigger the pot the more root room which in turn gets more herb, I’m still on my first grow so I can’t confirm that completely but I figure it’s like a goldfish in a small bowl, it won’t get any bigger because it adapts to the size of the container. I’ve also heard fabric pots aerate the roots and keep them inside the soil and prevent being root bound but I’m not completely sure on that

1 Like

@Donaldj i have all the time in the world for the little ladies, and i always thought having coco dry out quickly would be a bonus as it would mean everyday i get to feed them, maybe a naïve view point but one i worked too

@Manny_FTGUTube i can confirm Fabric pots are awesome for the root system they self prune and just send out more fishbones :slight_smile: although Air Pots are better still if you can afford them, i have 5 10l pots and get reasonable results from them but am happy to upsize if its going to help my little ones grow big and strong lol

2 Likes

I have 5 of my girls are outside in 7gal fabric pots. but I also have 3 outside in 5 gal buckets that are full of holes ( at least 100). If your using buckets the more holes the better.

1 Like

I’m currently using these

i’ll happily buy bigger IF that’s whats really needed i just thought the way these self prune anything bigger would be overkill for indoor autos??

2 Likes

When it comes to indoor growing I’m at a lose. I know out side bigger is better

2 Likes

There is no trick in deciding which size to use, research the strain and plan based on predicted size.
Ok here is what I do :
60day wonder autos…3 gal pot
White widow auto…5 gal pot
Fast & vast auto…5 gal pot
Quarter pounder auto…7 gal pot or in ground
Now, keep in mind that I only start them inside, once the weather permits, they sitting in my garden with tomatoes and berries…

The bigger is better no question about it…
Folks having no choice but grow indoor dont have the luxury unfortunately, but hey, any bud is better than none :wink::wink::wink:

1 Like

so for my little quick ones no need to go bigger but the slower growers things i push past 70days then go up to 5 gallons sounds about the theme then…

Your not wrong there fella and something so satisfying about smoking your own home grown :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I totally understand that. I’m in the other boat, no place to grow inside! lol I would put huge pots out here but on those blue moons I have to move them out of site…lol

1 Like

I have done a side-by-side grow with a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon with autos I had three different kinds of autos and only ended up with a quarter more on 2 but on 1 plant had a half ounce more Dry weight my conclusion was you do get more but you waste more soil and this is also using fabric smart pots they help so your plant doesn’t get root bound I use 3 gallon for autos And 5 gallon for my photos and bigger hope that helps it’s a lot easier to overwater in a 5 gallon especially for autos

3 Likes

Everybody likes theirs eggs scrambled own way, just gotta find things working for you and stick with it…

2 Likes

I agree with @Ragnar 100% it’s all trial and error I can tell you this though it is completely different using a plastic pot then it is using the smart pot when I use plastic pots that are 3 gallon it’s not the same as the smart pot 3 gallon it allows the plant to breathe

i have so many thing to try along the way whats another side by side grow to compare lmao…

@Ragnar i prefer my eggs fried lol :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I scramble mine with oyster mushrooms, bacon and basil heavy on the bacon greese ( yeah, I was born in eastern europe :grinning:) pork fat is a must in any delicious meal…drives my california hippie wife crazy…:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes