Viparspectra 450 led

@steve2 you’re talking about running 260 watts of quantam boards? Last I knew there was limited availability. Once you secure which boards you’ll be going with we can find driver or drivers for sure.

The timber “framework” is the complete light abd believe it comes fully assembled.

1 Like

I can’t give you a link because it’s prohibited by this site. Type in horticulturelightinggroup. com Select Catalog then Led Components then 260w QB LED Kit. They are sold out at the moment, but leave your e-mail and they will get back to you when available. Also the LED driver is the ballast for this light which is included.

Don’t be scared because it’s a kit. There are video’s on how to put this together and it is very easy.

1 Like

The joys of qb’s lol, out of stock til they’re in stock. Then out of stock again.

I debated grabbing a couple of the 288’s and some heatsink stock from heatsink usa. Tapping a few holes isn’t an issue for me, and I have plenty of wiring and connectors. It’s a toss up between taking advantage of driver configurations of the 288, or waiting for the bigger boards. Since I have no particular application I decided to hold off.

Quantum boards are difficult to find. They sell quickly.

Air Pots are great. There is a learning curve to them. They prevent over watering, but they can be a pain in the butt sometimes. You have to keep up with watering because they can dry out quickly.

Timber frameworks are complete lights and, yes, they come fully assembled. $469 and all you have to do is hang it and plug it in to your timer. It may not be the best and newest, but it is what I would do in that sized tent.

Finally. And again. Any of the lights that people are recommending will work. They will provide light to your plants. And while I’ve made a couple of recommendations - the light I have and the light I would get if I had your space - it is important for you to define what your light needs to do for you. What are the issues you need to address? Heat? Size? Noise? Number of plants? Growing style? Cost? There are pros and cons to every lighting scheme out there. There is no one size fits all solution for grow lights. And remember, you are not necessarily going to be saddled with your light forever. If, after a few grows, you decide that you want something bigger, badder, newer and more expensive, you can throw the old one on eBay and sell it to help offset the cost of your new light.

2 Likes

I wanted to show a grow with a comparison of white light vs red and blue light. Most all of the off the shelf lights have a combination of red and blue lights whereas the Quantum Boards and the DIY COBs have a white light with different color temperatures ie 3000k, 4000k, 5000k etc.

In the comparison they are growing tomato plants, but this should also be a good comparison for cannabis plants as well.

In my grow I am seeing the same results with my blue and red lights vs the white light Quantum Boards

White light

Red and Blue light

Looks like the same results

White light is bigger fuller and the red and blue are smaller and more compact

@steve2 @dbrn32 @mcpd_refugee

1 Like

I’m a much bigger fan of white over red/blue. But I feel that red/blue could be competitive if we provided a similar amount of photons. The advantage of the white is being able to hit nearly the same wavelengths with increased photons.

Something else that seems to get looked passed is the high efficiency drivers we use over a lot of the Chinese light. If we’re using a meanwell hlg, it’s pretty safe to assume that +/- 95% of power drawn from wall will actually get to the leds. Compared to 80% and sometimes much less from budget drivers. Top that off with more efficient led’s, and we’re sometimes putting out twice the light per watt drawn with our lights over the cheaper alternatives.

This is part 3 of the experiment and he gives the plants equal amounts of PAR readings so the plants would be getting equal amounts of photons hitting the plants. So with that being equal the white light still wins.

1 Like

Par readings only measure the photons provided within the usable wavelengths as determined by the McCree study correct? Technically speaking, due the amount of green light provided by white leds, wouldn’t it be impossible to replicate these photons with any red and blue light?

I’m really asking, mainly because that’s the way I understood it. I’m definitely not above leaning. And I’m already in opinion that white is going to be where we want to be. Also, due to noisy environment I can’t watch video right now. But I’ll definitely check it out later.

So what he is trying to do in the video is say X number of photons of white light vs the same X number of photons of red and blue. He lowered the red and blue light to equal the white light at a higher distance so they would have the same PAR values.

1 Like

I figured as much, what I wasn’t sure of is whether the par meter takes into account the amount of green light that the white led’s produce? Those photons can’t be replaced by the red and blue at any height correct? It’s already thought of by many as the reason that the white light is at an advantage. But I was more or less asking if we could consider it an apples to apples study?

I’m not trying to be condescending or anything, I’m honestly not sure. All of my lights are white, as are the ones I’ve built for others. Only really messed around with the colored diodes when targeting increased amounts of specific wavelengths.

One thing I have noticed though, is poor spectral balance among a lot of the red and blue models, and much weaker power and efficiency numbers. The ones that do a good job, also have similar or higher cost than the lights we’re building. But they seem to hang in there reasonably well.

The light spectrum is not the same but that is the whole point of this experiment. With equal amount of photons hitting your plants (apples to apples) which light spectrum is better? Red and Blue only spectrum or White spectrum which is more like natural sunlight.
@dbrn32

I don’t want to come off as argumentative. I’m not sure if I just don’t understand, or if you haven’t yet explained what I was asking. But let me try wording it a different way.

If the spectrum isn’t the same, it’s not apples to apples at all. It could be, I’d the par meter is or isn’t measuring the photons provided from one light vs the other. If the meter doesn’t measure the photons created from light, there’s no way we can say it’s the same amount of photons. Right? The white light would have all the same red and blue photons, plus all of the additional photons provided by the green light. I was simply asking if you knew if those were measured or not? If the green light isn’t measured, then we couldn’t call it apples to apples until we added the same amount of green photons to the red/blue.

The comparison then would be if we could replace the identical spectrum with colored for the sane amount of power, more power, or less power. Right?

@steve2 I use the viparspectra reflector series 300W (146 true, I think). I have a 2x2x4 tent and I like the light but im also no EXPERT just wanted to point that so take my response as my opinion and do your research well before settling on a light. I think it took me a few months before deciding on this one. I paid $80 with 3 year warranty. Ive heard it lacks in red spectrum but curious to know if those that have stated that actually have one or where that info came from. Reason being is that I have my tent open while the light is on and I see a lot of red. I also have noticed there are times where my tent has a blue tint so that makes me think theres a chip or something that intensifies the red or blue at different time. And when they run solid together you see more of a purple tint. I wont post a picture unless you request cause someone on here said I post the same picture (A visual of what I describe) on every post I make. IMO no point giving info without some support or a idea of what im talking about. So anyway imo I like the light and actually am bidding on the exact light your looking at the dimmable 450w by viparspectra.

1 Like

@BudBuddy please don’t take any of my comments as bashing your light. I have said they are pretty good value, several times. And let’s face it, they grow. But if comparing one light vs another, spectrum has to be considered. I think I’ve actually posted pics before, but I’ll show you where that data comes from. I didn’t see a 300 reflector, but this is from the 450. Most of the other models provide similar graph. Notice the amount of red per the scale opposed to blue?

@MAXHeadRoom, cool video’s! I finally had a chance to watch them.

I think he hits on exactly what I was trying to ask. The red and blue light was 38 watts, the white was 50. If added 12 watts of reasonable green or even green and yellow diodes, could be expect better results from the colored led? Going back, I wasn’t sure if the green had any impact on the par value. I’m still not sure lol, but I can look into that later. But he did go as far to comment about the absence of green and yellow, and that seems to mean something. My guess is that even though they’re not looked at as wavelengths that plants absorb, the additional photons from the green abd yellow create increased growth.

As far as something else to point out. Did you see how much stretch that 3000k had? A perfect example of where the blue wavelengths come in to those that are new. Also, the blue/red falling over is typically a good thing for us. Heavier ummmm, fruits lol. Yet, he kinda made it seem like the stretch was good and falling over was bad.

Dammit are you trying to rain on my parade? LMAO

I will see if I can find info on 300W I have but made me sure not want to buy the 450W now! Dammit!

1 Like

√ VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series V300 LED Grow Light is scientifically engineered to keep the balance of the PAR/Lumen Output and Coverage.

√ The secret to the VIPARSPECTRA LED success is the optimal full spectrum which provides plants Veg and Flower all stages with everything they desire in the natural sunlight.

√ Compares to traditional 250 watt HPS/MH while consuming only 136 watts! Perfect for a 2x2’ growing area at 24” height (Max coverage 3x3’).

√ Upgraded 4.72” fans and big aluminum cooling heat sinks (0.8” height) are easy for heat dissipation.

√ 3 years warranty plus 30 days satisfaction or return guarantee.

Product Description

Welcome to the next generation of VIPARSPECTRA “Reflector Style” V300 LED Grow Light, with full spectrum layout, reflector design and upgraded aluminum cooling heat sinks, is ideal for all kinds of indoor plants veg and flower at all growth stages.

Design:

• VIPARSPECTRA Spectrum has been developed by indoor growers over many years of careful experimentation and testing. With this light, you will see an increase in quality by growing bigger flowers that are dense and completely coated in resin.

• VIPARSPECTRA Reflector Series are scientifically engineered to keep the balance with high PAR/Lumen and suitable Coverage. This design will not far too concentrated in the middle of the growing area which results in stunted plant growth and sunburning.

• With revolutionary aluminum cooling heat sinks and high speed quite cooling fans, run 70% cooler than (HID) lights.

Specifications:

• Replaces a 250 watt HPS/MH

• Use for all stages of plant growth

• Max Coverage at 24" Height 3x3ft

• Core Coverage at 24" Height 2x2ft

• Avg. Power Draw: 136watt

• (60pcs) High Intensity 5Watt Bridgelux/Epileds LED Chips

• LEDs Angle: 90°

• Input Voltage: AC100-240V

• Frequency: 50-60Hz

• Lifespan: 100,000 hours

Package includes:

· 1 x Reflector 300W

· 1 x Hanging Kits

· 1 x 6ft Power Cord (US Standard 110V grounded 3 prong plug)

Attention please:

• Extremely bright, do not look directly at the LED bulbs when the light is working.

• Indoor use only, not water-proof.

• No extra ballast is needed.

• Can be controlled by Timer.

1 Like

fullspectrumjpgsmall
(Sunlight is the perfect source of color-balanced, full visible spectrum light. It is the standard by which every form of artificial light is compared.)

1 Like