Two seedlings from one seed?

So, I received my new seeds last week and started germination on Sunday of three seeds, one each of Amnesia, Big Bud, and Chocolope. I noticed that two sprouted immediately, but the Chocolope seed was having trouble popping his head up. When I inspected more closely, I realized there were two tiny seedlings coming from one seed. I very carefully separated them and gave them their own cells of soil, but they don’t look very strong, so I’m not sure they will survive. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Should I even allow them to grow if they will be weak plants? Not sure what to do, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

Try to salvage them they might seem weak at first but I’ve had a lot of plants do that and then they come back stronger than some other plants that I thought were way better… that’s pretty rare for that to happen but would love to see the outcome , just my 2cents…

:v::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yes, I would think this would be quite rare indeed. I worked on a farm as a teen and I’ve never heard of this happening. I’ll try to keep my twins alive and post their progress… if they make it.

Thanks for your comment, peachfuzz. :smile:

2 Likes

Those will be epic. You need to clone them if they make it.

4 Likes

Really? Wow, I had no idea they would be “special”. Now, I’m going to try extra hard to keep them alive.

Thanks, Careg
:relaxed::seedling::seedling:

2 Likes

Don’t try too hard though, we don’t want you to squeeze that little pretty rabbit to death… just remember to give them what they want, don’t try and give them what you think they need , they will let you know what they want as time goes on…

:v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble, although this is rare, it isn’t that rare and not really all that special. You just had twins, congratulations. :wink:

~MacG

4 Likes

Oh you’ve had that?

1 Like

I hope that happens when I plant my Gold Leaf !!!

2 Likes

Aww, you’re raining on my parade, Mac! :sweat: Though I do tend to agree with you; I don’t think my twins will turn out to be anything special. The only purpose I see in twin seedlings is in experimenting on conditions, much like clones… and my human twin girls :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Still, it is rather unique which is why I wanted to share my little story. Now if I could just figure out how to upload a picture, I’d add it to my post.

Anyway, the little buggers are doing really well! They appear to be a few days behind their sisters, but the twins are definitely thriving.

2 Likes

Twin Update:
The twins are doing amazingly well considering how scrawny they looked. It now looks like they will both survive, which brings a whole new problem into the mix, space. I only have a tiny 2’×2’ grow tent, so it’s gonna be tight; I had only planned on growing three plants - which is pushing it - now I have to squeeze in four. But I suppose that’s a good problem to have. :grin:

Chocolope Twin #1

Chocolope Twin #2

5 Likes

That is really cool!

How does that compare with human twins @MacGyverStoner? Is there a maternal/paternal aspect involved? Is it a trait that could be bred to become more likely?

Phenotyping will also be interesting for me to see. I understand that this isn’t something spectacular, but it’s unusual enough for me to be interested.

It’s a shame you don’t have the space to do a really good side by side comparison.

Can’t wait to hear your review of the finished smoke comparing the twins…:dancers:

1 Like

Great question, Floridason. When I compare my seedlings to human twins, I’m half joking because I happen to have a set of human twin girls… they just started college. Anyway, 19 years ago I was up to my ears in twin research – 'cause there’s not much else you can do when you’re pregnant with twins – I discovered it all comes down to DNA, and it’s no accident. In humans the gene is carried by the male, but only appears in females. In other words, the male passes the trait to his female offspring, and that female produces more eggs that can be fertilized at once resulting in fraternal twins like my own human girls. The other type of twin is identical, which is from one egg splitting into two and is just a fluke rather than hereditary; I can’t see this happening with a marijuana seed because the seed is already complete when it germinates – germination does not cause a twin, it is already in the seed. If this is true, then it should be possible to replicate this trait into a seed’s DNA.

I hope I’m making sense. This is only my deduction from what I know about human twins, but I think it makes sense… at least it makes sense when I’m stoned.

Anyway, I will post my progress in the Grow Journal section. I’m going to try and get that up by tonight. :relaxed:

2 Likes

This is basically what has happened with your seed, the ovule inside split, like one egg splitting in two, the offspring should be identical. But since you started with feminized chocolope, which are kind of like clones of the mother, and identical twins are also kind of like clones, everything should be pretty much identical.

But, hey, I certainly ain’t knocking two chocolopes for the price of one seed! Free bonus! LOL

~MacG

2 Likes

I didn’t know a seed could split like an egg. I think if that’s true, then it’s just a random mutation and probably can’t be replicated… and that’s why no one has done it yet. :thinking: :nerd:

1 Like

It makes sense to me. My granddaughter recently had identical girls. At the moment I can still tell the difference because of size and a slightly different birthmark. I expect it to become more difficult with time.

1 Like

@MacGyverStoner, my question is this ,should the twins have been separated ??
Hammer .(aka grasshopper):slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awwwww, congratulations!!! So the next time you babysit remember to put a little, tiny scar on one twin – JUST KIDDING! You could keep a supply of temporary tattoos around, so when they visit just break 'em out. The twins will love it and you’ll be able to tell who’s who by their tattoo. As a mom of twins I know lots of tricks. :wink: :relaxed:

1 Like

HAHAHA! Oh what a cruel world!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: