Trichomes and darkness

I’m a newby at this so I would appreciate some guidance. My understanding is that I should turn off my lights 2 days before harvest. I am also concerned about going too long and getting too much of a body high so I want to avoid a lot of amber trichs. Here is the question: Should I plan on the trichs continuing to ripen or turning amber after I shut the lights off?
I’m thinking the ripening process will continue after I shut off the lights so I should turn off the lights as soon as I see mostly cloudy trichs.
What say ye? And thanks for the input!

1 Like

Yea, if you’re planning on giving her a two day dark period before harvest, then yes, they will still develope for those 2 days. It’s not until they are cut that the plant will stop developing.

I do this myself, and I believe it really helps the plants by giving them the darkness before you harvest. Just my opinion tho :v:

2 Likes

If you’re nervous about it don’t shut the lights off the first time. I don’t really know if it makes a difference I know it makes the hairs turn all brown and it seems to affect them but who knows about the rest they say it does, but when I look at them before and after I don’t see it so if it’s a stress thing for you forget about it

I’ve heard, I think it was @majiktoker, that they will continue to mature until dry. Can’t quite recall who said it.

1 Like

I’m brand new to this site, how do I create a thread? I am in need of some help!

1 Like

@Kenbo240 I tagged you in another thread.

Thanks man!!!

Sorry if I seem a bit brain dead lol, but do I just reply to the post you tagged me in?

Thank you so much for your response.
Do you think that the trichomes will continue to ripen if I cut down the
plant, after the two days of darkness, and hang the whole plant upside
down? Seems like they would if the plant thinks it is still alive and
trying it is trying to make more buds.
I want to avoid the amber trichomes cause I am under the impression that
dark trichomes make for a heavier high. I am trying to keep it cerebral as
much as possible.
Of course, I am obviously a newby but I am trying to avoid couch-lock!!!

Thanks again for your time and the info! This is my first grow and I am
having fun going through the process and I think I am learning alot!!!

1 Like

That seems logical to me! The plant does all it can do to reproduce before
it dies so…
I need to allow for that process as I calculate my time to harvest.
I am thinking that at the first sign of a dark trichome I am going to shut
off the lights.
What are your thoughts?

Hey, thanks for your response. Not really stressing…I have a treatment
for that…lol!
Just want to get it right without going too far and having couch-lock as a
result.
This is so much fun!!! I should have moved to Amsterdam when I was 19!!!

Whatever you just did came through so it seems you are doing right.

Ok awesome! Do you have any thoughts on changing a light cycle on an autoflowering plant from 12/12 to 18/6? I don’t believe my babies are getting enough light and would like to increase it!

Go for the 18/6.

2 Likes

you need some amber trichs…otherwise the weed will cause a sketchy paranoid type of high…the amber trichs work as a kind of sedative to keep you calmer.
IIRC.

3 Likes

Trichomes are mature when they are cloudy. Turning Amber means they are starting to degrade. The degraded trichomes are what causes the sleepy effect. However, if you are growing good genetics your smoke that is home grown correctly will be much stronger than anything you get at a dispensary or even off the street.

My first (semi) successful grow was bag seeds but it blew me away compared to purchased stuff.

9 Likes

I hear when u hang the plant up side down to put a black plastic trash bag over it , does this help? I’m not at this stage yet in my grow,just curious

It would probably help you get mold, it’s not what you want to do

…you want to have a fan, plenty of gentle air movement in a dark place (but not in a dark bag)

4 Likes

That’s what I thought this same person. Said pH was a waste of time

I would look for another source of information and remember to bear that in mind when that person offers other advice.

I know I don’t have all the answers about anything. That’s what brought me to this forum. I grew really nice smoke. Friends/family that I would smoke with were always blown away! (That’s when I decided that strain tolerance build up must be true.)

While I know I can produce fine quality smoke, I also knew I could do better. I’ve had better, so I knew.

That is the difference between that person’s advice and what you will find here. It’s the difference of “I do good enough!” and “I can do this better!!”. That thought process seems to be fading into the past anymore.

You came here looking to get the most out of your smoke. A common passion here.

You can’t teach a person when they feel they have nothing else to learn…:wink:

11 Likes