Topping, vs. FIMming vs please let me not screw this up

Hi. I am looking for opinions

After three weeks in seedling / early veg, I had overcome nute / light issues and was showing ~6 nodes on three plants.

The one earlier topic, on brown / yellow spots on one plant never expanded, and all other growth was looking well.

Per @MacGyverStoner, I amped up on the CalMag+, since my medium is coco / perlite.

At any rate, all three plants were looking awesome with ~6 nodes each.

Growth and color was cool, and node spacing was decent @ about an eighth of an inch.

With positive results, this evening, I topped one plant and FIMmed the other two. I will be offering sacrifices to the FIM Gods.

My question is, what do I look for in the upcoming days, and where do I go from here.

Everyone has been an awesome resource. I only hope I may contribute more in the future.

Thanks much, Kevin / Vampyre LeStat. :).

Hello Kevin,

Follow these two links. I think you will find them very interesting.

(site)

http://ilgmforum.com/t/pruning-marijuana-outdoors/84

B Safe
Will

@garrigan62 Thanks much for the links. They were quite helpful.

I’ve been mostly on the threads by my phone, as my PC has been causing added heat issues in the house. (One of the drawbacks at being sub-tropic / tropic, I guess.)

I have had one other issue; however, I will post that in a different thread. Gonna also check in with the local hydro shop for their opinion. (Hopefully, I won’t get a consulting fee. :slight_smile: )

I’m glad the links were helpful for ya.
If I can help you I most certainly will. Take care and best of luck

B Safe
Will

@garrigan62 Thanks much. :)Now I’m just trying to solve the potential Ca or Mg deficiency that one plant has. I posted that one here

I may have to take a run out to the local hydro shop to get their advice as well.

Thx much again, and take care. Being newa t this, I appreciate all of the helpful links and helpful folks on the site.

Hey LeStat, sorry about that don’t know how I missed that …lol but here is ya go

Will

Magnesium is one of the easiest deficiencies to tell… the green veins along with the yellowness of the entire surrounding leave is a dead giveaway, but sometimes that’s not always the case here. In case you have one of those where it doesn’t show the green veins, sometimes leaf tips and edges may discolor and curl upward. The growing tips can turn lime green when the deficiency progresses to the top of the plant. The edges will feel like dry and crispy and usually affects the lower leaves in younger plants, then will affect the middle to upper half when it gets older, but It can also happen on older leaves as well. The deficiency will start at the tip then will take over the entire outer left and right sides of the leaves. The inner part will be yellow and or brownish in color, followed by leaves falling without withering. The tips can also twist and turn as well as curving upwards as if you curl your tongues.

Excessive levels of magnesium in your plants will exhibit a buildup of toxic salts that will kill the leaves and lock out other nutrients like Calcium (Ca). Mg can get locked out by having too much Calcium, Chlorine or ammonium in your soil/water.
One of the worst problems a person can have is a magnesium def caused by a ph lockout. By giving it more magnesium to cure the problem when you are thinking you are doing good, but actually you are doing more harm then good. When the plants can’t take in a nutrient because of the ph being off for that element, the plant will not absorb it but it will be in the soil… therefore causing a buildup. A buildup will be noticed by the outer parts of the plant becoming whitish and or a yellowish color. The tips and part way in on the inner leaves will die and feel like glass. Parts affected by Magnesium deficiency are: space between the veins (Interveinal) of older leaves; may begin around interior perimeter of leaf.

Problems with Magnesium being locked out by PH troubles

Light Acid Soils, soils with excessive potassium, calcium and or phosphorus

Soil

Magnesium gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 2.0-6.4
Magnesium is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.5-9.1 . (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Magnesium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0-5.7
Magnesium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.8-9.1
(Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Magnesium deficiency
Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Magnesium in them will fix a Magnesium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Other nutrients that have magnesium in them are: Epsom salts, which is fast absorption. Dolomite lime and or garden lime (same thing just called different) which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Magnesia which is medium absorption. Worm Castings, which is slow absorption. Crabshell which is slow absorption. Earth Juice Mircoblast, which is fast acting. (a must buy!! Has lots of 2ndary nutrients).
Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics,( which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.
dro and Soil less Mediums

Calcium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0- 5.3
Calcium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.4-5.8 (Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Calcium Deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Calcium deficiency
To fix a calcium deficiency you can treat by foliar feeding with one teaspoon of dolomite lime or Garden lime per quart of water, Or Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Calcium in them will fix a Calcium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Or you can take crushed up dolomite lime or garden lime in a gallon of water and water it in the soil. 1 to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, which will be slow acting. Garden Gypsum, which is medium absorption. Limestone, which is medium absorption, Rock Phosphate and Animal wastes which are both medium/slow absorption. Note: Caution when using gypsum to an already acid soil (pH that is less than 5.5) can have a very bad effect on different types of plants by effecting the absorption of soil aluminum, which is poison to plant roots.

Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics, (which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) you need to flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.h

@garrigan62, thanks for the great advice and all of the info. Yesterday, I did pick up some Earty Juice Microblast, to add into the mix.

I did a complete watering, with nutes, as the coco was pretty dry and light. Based upon suggestions, I’m going to be watering the full container, and then allowing the medium to use most of the liquid prior to the next watering.

Based upon a number of suggestions, I’m also going to use the Microbladt as a foliage spray, to help the leaves absorb the nutes.

I’m going to post the full info on my latest thread about pH and the one plant with a few deficient leaves.

Thanks again for the help.

Good deal…look forward to your next post.

Will