Tis the season - Cannabis infused lip balm

I came across this great article on the Wake and Bake website. Since the cold is setting in and we have a lot of out door people here I thought I would share:

Benefits of Using Lip Balm (Guys, listen up!)
While many men still feel a stigma about applying anything to their lips, guys I cannot stress enough… no woman wants to kiss crusty, chapped lips. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! So, on top of all these wonderful benefits below, there’s nothing wrong making yourself more kissable.

Helps with Healing – keeping your lips hydrated and moist help seal any cracks from chapping and ward off infection.
Younger Appearance – ok, who doesn’t want to look younger? Well, moist, healthy lips do wonders for knocking off a few years.
Avoiding Painful Chapped Lips – chapped, dry lips create a painful, burning sensation, which can take several days to heal. Using lip balm on the regular will help prevent this from happening in the first place.
So, these are the benefits of just regular old, lip balm off the shelf. Now add in the benefits of the ingredients in this recipe you can make at home…

Beeswax – protects the skin without clogging pores, locks in moisture for hydration, and beeswax carries its own anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal agent.
Coconut Oil – besides being a tremendous skin moisturizer, coconut oil is also antifungal and antibacterial naturally. Also, as an antioxidant, coconut oil can help fight off nasty toxins our lips encounter every day. Also, did you know coconut provides an SPF 4 in sunscreen?
Shea Butter – considered a “skin superfood”, shea butter is packed with vitamins and fatty acids necessary for collagen production. Sunscreen ranges between SPF 3 – 6.
Avocado Oil – a terrific skin smoothing, moisturizer, avocado oil can be used as an acne treatment, and works as a natural sunscreen, which can range from SPF 4 all the way up to SPF 15!
Just a few weeks ago, I stumbled across this article in Vogue, talking about Vertly Balm out of California with CBD-infused lip balm. I was shocked when I saw the price tag for $20 for a fraction of an ounce.

While their ingredients vary a little from the recipe here, the overall benefits are the same and you can make this for a fraction of that cost. In fact, through using your own cannabis-infused coconut oil, you not just getting a CBD-specific extract made from hemp, you’re getting full-spectrum cannabis extract which will include CBD, THC, CBG, CBN and full range of terpenes, as well.

Like with other topicals, although the product contains THC, you will not feel the psychoactive effects because there are no carriers in this recipe powerful enough to get the THC into your bloodstream and to the brain. However, cannabinoids like THC, CBD, and CBG are powerful antibacterial, antioxidant compounds which can improve skin appearance and tone, protect the skin from damage, as well as, heal infections.

In Dazed + Infused, I mention one user who used this recipe with a little added Vitamin E to the tea tree formula below to help heal a cold sore. This is not uncommon. I have heard of many people using cannabis-infused salves and lotions to help heal many skin issues. In fact, studies have shown cannabinoids have extraordinary healing potential and may even fight MRSA, a nasty super bug big pharma hasn’t been able to beat.

So… what better way to discreetly microdose your cannabinoids than by making your lips irresistibly kissable? This lip balm is da’ bomb!

Cannabis-Infused Lip Bomb!
Step 1) In a double boiler or makeshift double boiler over med-high heat, melt:

2 Tablespoons Shea Butter
   2 Tablespoons cannabis coconut oil
   2 Tablespoons Beeswax
   2-3 teaspoons Avocado Oil

Step 2) Stir until combined.

Step 3) Place a couple of drops on parchment paper and place in the fridge until firm. Test to see if it’s the consistency you like. Add more beeswax for a firmer lip bomb, or more avocado oil for a slick and shiny finish.

Step 4) Add your choice of essential oils.

For Lavender Vanilla
add 6+ drops of lavender essential oil
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For Tea Tree:
Add 15+ drops of tea tree oil

Step 5) Using a small funnel, fill lip balm tubes to the top. Alternatively, fill lip balm tins using a small spoon. Let them rest at room temperature until firm.

Voila! Homemade lip protection that will rival the likes of those found in Vogue.

The beeswax, empty lip balm tubes and essential oils can all be found on Amazon.

10 Likes

All I can say is wow, @AnneBonny my mind is blown even more. You explained about infused honey, now lip balm!? This is not only more affordable than most but we can infuse anything we want in it. Sure we can’t eat this too? Jk. Also, left a comment, all out of likes as usual.

3 Likes

ok, @AnneBonny great find. I use lip balm especially in the winter. I’m outside alot. Woodstove for heat… I’m in. I have to find some containers. Any thoughts?

Amazon has all kinds of options for empty tubes @bob31 I made a bunch of these for Christmas gifts (not infused though) so got the thing that holds the tubes up. But there are other options.

https://smile.amazon.com/Milliard-Lip-Balm-Crafting-Kit/dp/B01JAS0GUQ/ref=sr_1_4_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510407942&sr=8-4&keywords=lip+balm+tubes

https://smile.amazon.com/Mary-Tylor-Naturals-Containers-Approved/dp/B0721TP4KN/ref=sr_1_14_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1510408178&sr=8-14&keywords=lip%2Bbalm%2Btubes&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/White-Cosmetic-Pastilles-Filtered-Naturals/dp/B074CP8J32/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1510408370&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=beeswax&psc=1

I don’t know why those links are posting funny like that.

1 Like

Thanks so much for sharing that. I have everything other than the canna coconut oil. Once I get some trim decarbed & make some butter that oil is next on my list. :+1:

My links are going the same thing. Some resolve to the pictures and other do not. Anyway I was thinking of just putting it into a small salve container, but I need to look at your links! @AnneBonny

I already have bees wax.I need the shea butter, tubes and kit.

I almost forgot about this. If you go to the LorAnn oils website and to the essential oils and aromatherapy tab, then ingredients kits and supplies there is a kit that has pretty much everything you need:

Kit includes: 12 pots, 12 tubes, beeswax, one 4-ounce bottle of almond oil, one 4-ounce jar of shea butter, four 1 dram bottles of LorAnn Super Strength Flavoring Oils (pina colada, peppermint, banana cream, black cherry), stir sticks, decorative labels and instructions. Makes enough to fill 24 containers.

Out of like @SmoknGranny You’re very welcome.

3 Likes

Is this the one @AnneBonny

2 Likes

That’s the one. @bob31 Wow, much better price on Amazon.

Yeah I know huh. I ordered it. So I will let you know how it turns out!

@AnneBonny

1 Like

@AnneBonny great info there and it nudged a very old memory of my Grandma to the surface again thank you . I was a kid and she was putting something on my lips and I asked if she was going to use some to and she told me nope she just sticks her finger up a chickens butt and wipes her lips every morning and that is why Grandmas kisses are so soft . I was like 5 and the old broad freaked me out . Lmao thanks again

4 Likes

@Oldstoner you gave me a great laugh on this story. Thanks. We all love the odd ball responses our grandparents gave us.

2 Likes