Okay, here’s my rudimentary attempt at documenting the light build.
I made the trip to Home Depot today to pick up the rest of the things I needed, and built the light tonight. I still have to figure out how I want to hang it, which will require drilling four holes and putting hooks on it. I also need to finish up some wire management and figure out where I will be putting the driver for the time being. What follows is my “step by step” process (as near as I could, I didn’t capture every single step in a photo).
Okay, so first off I gathered all the stuff required (and them some) to complete the project:
- The aforementioned COBs (heat sinks, COBs, holders, thermal pads, screws)
- 1"x1"x1/8" Aluminum Angle (96")
- Soldering Iron and Electrical Solder
- Heat shrink wraps
- A Leviton 3-wire male plug
- 18awg solid copper wire
- Cable Tie anchors
- Cable ties
- The Driver
- Wire Nuts
- Phillips Head Screwdriver
- Drill with appropriate drill bits (I don’t even know what ones I used, I just looked at the screws and picked one bigger than the thread part and smaller than the head part)
- Soldering Iron
- Measuring Tape
- Hacksaw - I used a hacksaw to cut the aluminum (hence my ugly angles) since that’s all I had available
Since I already put together the COBs, my next step is to build the frame to mount the heatsinks. I bought single 96" bar of aluminum angle at Home Depot and cut it into 42" sections.
I then measured the distance from the bottom of the heat sink to the screw hole on the side, and added that distance to the 1/8" thickness of the aluminum angle. It came out to 5/16ths. I measured to the center of the bars and drilled a whole 5/16th of an inch from the corner. If you look at the above pick you will see the first two holes I drilled.
Then I measured 8" from center and drilled the remainder of the holes needed to mount the COBs:
Next I screwed the heat sinks to the aluminum angle:
Then I cut the remainder of the aluminum bar to make end pieces for the frame:
Then I wired up the COBs:
This is where I made a mistake - I didn’t realize the tiny holes in the heat sinks were meant to route the wire, so I have to rewire them to get the wires managed better.
Then I connected the driver. The driver has three things to worry about. Because I have the “B” model driver that has external dimming leads and I didn’t get a potentiometer yet, I have to cap off the dimming leads. In addition, I need to connect the output wires to the COB array. I chose to solder the wires together and wrap them with a heat shrink sleeve:
I don’t have a fancy heat gun, so I used a lighter to apply heat to the heat shrinks.
Finally, I connected a Leviton 3-wire plug to the input side of the driver:
And lastly, I plugged it in:
Now, as I said, I need to do some wire management. I also need to eventually find a better solution for the location of the driver but for now it’s all working and hung in the tent so I am probably not going to disturb it until I finish this grow. We’ll see how I feel on Sunday after I change the reservoirs out.