The ILGM DownEast 12

I love how you treat them all equal even though some are bigger than others they all get their time in the spotlight ha
That song sounds like the band members are mad at each other and are trying to screw each other up lol

Defoliation

I also did this in 2015 to thwart powdery mildew and try to trick them into producing more trichomes. Got to say I’m pretty impressed with purple haze as well. Take a look at the cluster in the circle

14 Likes

Great job @Willd and I love the explanation of how they are all growing :+1:

2 Likes

Frost Advisory for Interior Waldo County, Maine

3 Likes

Are you going to use some blankets or tarps tonight?

1 Like

No, not at all. Bold and brazen is their nature. The thing to remember about frost advisories and I quote

At this stage in their lives, “sensitive” is hardly the word I’d use to describe them. Pineapple Haze even offered me some of her leaves to cover up with when I mentioned the breeze had a nip to it yesterday morning! (actually I was just defoliating)

We’re on a bit of a ridge and while the anemometer reads 0 there is always a breeze up in the field. 2 miles down the road at Chase farm, it could be as much as 5° cooler and frosted hard.

4 Likes

I am going to finally deploy a series of individual 5x7 rain canopies from tarps this weekend since there is a chance of showers all week next week starting at the end of this week. 40-60% chance of precip, so we’ll see. My step son is coming to visit so I’ll have the necessary hands to get it accomplished more easily. The drier Canadian air we’ve been blessed with in conjunction with the peroxide:water spray a few times a week has all but eliminated any powdery mildew threat that was previously reported too. I still continue to find a minuscule spot of gray mold (a.k.a. bud rot) here and there on the ones closest to the compost and those still covered with more foliage… I’m just carefully snipping the stem a couple of inches below the spot while I hold it as far above as possible and gently pull the stem away from the rest of the plant. I have a disposal area 50’ away well into my woods.
I don’t start to defoliate in the field until a week before harvest so SSH, Sour D, bubble gum, big bud, and Strawberry Kush are still another couple weeks off. I might take some foliage from SSH since it’s SOOO bushy and leafy, just to open up some airflow and proactively thwart the threat of rot.

7 Likes

Your thread always makes me smile brother
Was just thinking about when you first showed up here and two days later you wanted your act deleted
So glad you stuck around
Your a inspiration to may my self included brother
Great work my friend great work
:v: John :cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

Thanks man. It was you who first responded to me and encouraged me not to bail. If I said sticking around paid off in spades, that would be the understatement of the year.
:grin::smiley::smile::wink:

9 Likes

@Willd
That part I don’t remember but if I had a part in the decision than I glad I spoke up :+1:
Awesome brother if only I was In one of those same states haha I would love a field of mj
Like I said just seeing yours makes me smile lol
If I had that for my self I’d have a permanent grin lol

3 Likes

Just an awesome grow @Willd

And this site combined with the participants (you know who you are); not to mention the local networking and friendships; is Priceless! I only regret not finding it last December when I set out to purchase equipment and beans.

I’m here now and if I had the real estate, I would have me a Central Maine Dozen going just like Willd.

Legalization, from this perspective (personal cultivation) might just be the best thing since sliced bread.

1 Like

@Willd

You should be alright having disposed the removed (infected) plant debris, but I would suggest maybe burning those pieces you remove. Just read a short article from Penn State:

Sanitation is the first important step. Remove dead or dying tissue from the plants and from the soil surface. Remove this refuse from the greenhouse. Do not throw debris under benches or on walks. Sanitation alone is not sufficient to control this fungus. The fungus can produce 60,000 or more spores on a piece of plant tissue the size of your small finger nail. Even one spore can infect a plant and cause disease.

Next years outdoor grows i will be taking the experiences with bud rot and countering by removing the damaged rotting material from the plants then immediately taking those nasty :mask:bits and placing into a gallon zip lock bag and toss them in the burn barrel.
Going to take to defoliating and using scrog to open up airflow too. I’m thinking this year was just a fluke with all the rain (at least that’s what I’m going to think to make me feel better :joy: )
Also next year I’m going to used latex gloves when removing rot. And if I can get some cheap ones, I can cut and throw away gloves and rot together daily

2 Likes

That, my friend, is a solid plan. In your climate, I would think bud rot to be more of a fluke. I’ve never had a grow without at least a trace of bud rot and powdery mildew. The cabbage loopers and aphids were a new one on us this season though. I strongly agree with several articles that suggest the damage from cabbage loopers and other chewing pests creates a portal for infections of grey mold (bud rot). I’ve had aphids on houseplants and garden vegetables but never on my weed crop. They were so persistent on my Gold Leaf clones, I vanquished them by adding them to the compost heap.
I saw one of those vintage NIB kerosene drip torch at the giant yard sale thing @Screwauger & I attended last month and now I’m kicking myself for not buying it.

OK So I just did some more research on this thing, It’s an extinguisher not a drip torch!!! DOH…

Something like that would be useful to sterilize the top layer of soil just after tilling. They use them to maintain the wild blueberries up here.

6 Likes

nothing better to get rid of bugs than a flame thrower!!
propane works well too…

5 Likes

Hahahha funny @BIGE
The visual I have is great Will out there with a flamethrower like they used I ww2 to burn out the bunkers torching his grow cause he saw a few bugs hahahahabba

6 Likes

AK-47

6 Likes

AMNESIA HAZE

9 Likes

BIG BUD

8 Likes

BLUEBERRY

8 Likes

BUBBLEGUM

5 Likes