Tell me about PPMs please

I’m concerned about over-feeding my plants, so I bought a PPM meter. I measured the PPMs in the run off water this morning and they were around 1001. The Fox Farms feeding schedule (soil) says they should be 1960-2100. Should I increase nutrients? I don’t want to get nutrient burn.

2 Likes

I don’t know the answer but am interested in learning about it too

your question is a great one @JuliaBelle

Tell us more though! be specific on the plants pots soils and you’re nutrients and what week schedule you followed, etc.

Also if you tested the TDS of your nutrient mix before you feed them. Also very important you include info on your pH

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

2 Likes

@JuliaBelle you said the run off was 1001 , but what was it before feeding? Also the 1960 -2100 is what you feed at , then check run off to know what she ate, or drank lol :joy: I love fox farm liquid nutes, and use them all.

1 Like

See below for my responses:

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain: ILGM WW autos

How many plants: 1 starting to flower, 2 just sprouted

Age from Sprout and Flower: 6 1/2 weeks

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots: 3 gal felt pots. Organic soil mixed with coco and perlite

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so? About every other day. I have a moisture meter, but also judge by sticking my finger in the soil

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir: 6-6.5 (I use drops, don’t have a PH meter)

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: don’t know what EC or TDS means. I mix according to the Fox Farms schedule

Indoor or Outdoor: indoor

Light system, size and height from plants: 2 900 watt LCDS, 18 inches from top of plant

Temps; Day, Night: 72-75 f, both day and night.

Humidity; Day, Night: 60-70%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: no, but the room gets air. They are in a room in my basement, not a tent

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: AC from the house, not a separate unit

Co2; Yes, No: no

I would increase to 1500 min but if you feed full nutes
Following fox farm schedule you need to flush as directed as well ff has a tendency to build up salt in soil FYI
So flush when schedule say to flush
Can we see a picture is your plant showing signs of deficiency
I would continue what you’ve been dot if not
That my advice anyway
Tag me when you post a picture so I can offer my two cents lol @JuliaBelle

2 Likes

Thanks! I don’t think it actually has any deficiencies right now. It seems to be doing well. So to flush do I have to buy Sledgehammer? Can I flush with just plain ph’d water?

1 Like

PPM is TDS= Total Dissolved Solids and the unit of measure is Parts Per Million (aka PPM)

@JuliaBelle

You have a TDS meter But not a pH Meter?

What week of the FF Schedule are you using when you have the runoff of 1001?

The soil you are using is an organic soil? Or an organic soil mix? It makes a difference as to what you set the pH of the water and nutrients at. If you still have the bag could you list the ingredients?

I have to agree :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses::+1::+1:

The bag says the only ingredient is compost made from plant materials and food waste.

I’m following week 6 of the FF schedule

So do I need to buy Sledgehammer or can I just flush with PH’d water?

1 Like

Yes you need sledgehammer, water by it self is not gonna work.

Then it is a soil and the proper pH is 6.5

Are you feeding the entire nutrient line or just the top three @JuliaBelle

Sledgehammer is made specifically to help flush their nutrient line do I would recommend you use that.

I’ve read some bad things about sledgehammer on other forums. My plant doesn’t show any signs of deficiency. It actually looks really good right now. I’m a little scared to try it.

I use sledgehammer religiously with no problems,