Sugar leaves are drying

High folks!
Growing thc bomb, 5,5 weeks into flowering (11,5 weeks total). Yesterday I noticed that sugar leaves started to dry. This is my 4th grow (past three were Jack Herer) and I never seen such outcome. Bud hairs are about 80% orange, trichs mainly milky.
My question is - what might be the reason for sugar leaves to become dry, maybe to much time for flowering and I should harvest right now? ( seedbank said thc bomb is very fast, just 10 weeks from seed to harvest, but I’ve seen many grow journals where growers keep them 13-15 weeks). Thanks!

@Flynn

First let me Welcome you to " ILGM ’

Some pic’s would be very helpful and if you would please fill out our Support Ticket below

Copy/Paste: This “Support Ticket” Into Your Forum Post.
Answer These Simple Questions The Best You Can.
If You Do Not Know, Or Do Not Use Something; Just Say So = Na

Strain; Type, Bag Seed, Or Na

Soil In Pots, Hydroponic, Or Coco?

System Type?

Ph Of Runoff Or Solution In Reservoir?

What Is Strength Of Nutrient Mix? Ec, Or Tds

Indoor Or Outdoor

Light System, Size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation System; Yes, No, Size

Ac, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add Anything Else You Feel Would Help Us Give You A Most Informed Answer. Feel Free To Elaborate, But Short, To The

Questions And Facts Will Help Us Help You 

Will joint

When I first started growing i wasn’t exactly sure what what’s happening to my girls or I should say not as confident/vigilant as I am now, and I had a long-running fungus gnat problem that I didn’t realize could hurt your plants so bad. The result of my gnat problem turned to be drying crisping sugar leaves, yellowing sugar leaves, I also had fan leaves dying earlier than usual/sooner than usual. it seemed to create a lot of strain and stress on the plants but I couldn’t figure out what it was until fungus gnats reappeared my second grow and I talked to some guys at my local grocery shop… lesson learned. But just something to think about/look for.
If you see pesky things flying around the room (adult stage) or you see these little white line shaped things crawling on your leaves (larvae stage) you could have a little critter problem. Don’t ignore it like I did.:wink::frowning:
Without pictures, off the top of my head it sounded familiar. Like a little fungus gnat problem or possibly you could have a pH issue too. Check your bases though and good luck!
If you find that you might have a little fungus gnat problem I bought stuff off of Amazon called SNS 209. Follow the directions on the bottle I found it work great.

Thanks for your reply! Fungus is the first thing I thought about. Unfortunately package from amazon will arrive here in more than to weeks so I decided to use ozone generator to fight possible fungus (have read about such solution at some forum). No signs of gnats inside grow tent. pH is 7 and is the same level since germination.

Thanks for your reply! Here are answers (in bold)

Strain; Type, Bag Seed, Or Na THC Bomb Auto Fem

Soil In Pots, Hydroponic, Or Coco? Soil

System Type? NA

Ph Of Runoff Or Solution In Reservoir? pH7

What Is Strength Of Nutrient Mix? Ec, Or Tds NPK is 10\28\10

Indoor Or Outdoor indoor

Light System, Size? 600w LED

Temps; Day, Night 24\22 Celcius

Humidity; Day, Night 70%

Ventilation System; Yes, No, Size Yes, size I do not know but enough for neg.pressure

Ac, Humidifier, De-humidifier, none

Co2; Yes, No No

A couple of things jump out: ph should be 6.5. How are you determining the ph?

What exactly are you using for soil?

Humidity is too high for flower. 35 to 40 % would be safer.

1 Like

I agree with @Myfriendis410. the first thing that stuck out to me was your pH. Try and get that down just a little bit. I let mine float between 6.3 and 6.8. I think you’re on the right path though and I have read good things about the ozone generator but I’ve never used it myself. Good luck! Thanks!

1 Like

I thought ozone generators kill plants

Hi and welcome to the forum!! :slightly_smiling_face:

An ozone generator near your plants will remove any odor or taste they will produce.

This is the downside to using this.

If that is the case please be very careful! The last thing you want to do is kill off your whole room on accident.

sorry to keep asking but can you do a couple of pic’s in natual light I can then give you a better idea of whats going on,

your ph is a bit high should by 6.5 - 6.8 area.

Will

1 Like

The optimum pH for marijuana in soil is between 6.0-7.0. The optimum pH in hydro is between 5.5-6.5 (this includes growing in a soilless growing medium like coco coir). It’s a good idea to allow the pH to change slightly over time within the prescribed ranges, especially in hydroponics. Take a look at the charts below to see how different nutrients are absorbed at different pH levels, so you can see why it’s good to let your pH range over time.

3 Likes

sorry to keep asking but can you do a couple of pic’s in natual light I can then give you a better idea of whats going on,

There is no natural light in the room where the tent is so I can only do some pics with flash.

your ph is a bit high should by 6.5 - 6.8 area.

I know pH is important but I had exactly same numbers in my earlier grows and now problems.

I thought ozone generators kill plants

it might but I do no overdo, only 15 min and after 1h there is no any sign of ozone inside the tent

I’m leaning towards harvesting tomorrow to avoid further problems

1 Like

If you are that close to harvest, the drying sugar leaves may simply be the plant breaking down as it ripens. Perfectly normal. Ph can have more or less affect depending on strain and size.

You are also probably using a different bag of soil with different characteristics.

Trichome color should be your determinant for harvest. You are more than likely going to miss out on bud mass if you harvest now.

Trichs are milky, just a few of the are amber. Girls are close to harvest, seed bank even said they should be ready by week 10, but thats not happening

1 Like

Yeah, that’s just a guideline. I struggle to get to the suggested duration. Mine finish early.

I believe you said that they were in their 5 to 5 1/2 weeks in flower Then I wouldn’t worry about it and let them finish on their own. just keep checking the trichomes and when you see amber wait another week and then cut them down.

Will