Sprout seeds in Bubble Cloner

Ya i wanna jump in and try the hydro but what kinda blows is i just bought 1 Big bag of Fox Farms Ocean and 1 big bag of Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. So i have about 75 lbs of the soil and i havent even filled a pot with it yet . Maybe i can sell it to my brother in law, im trying to get him started growing so we can try more atrains and trade out,plus keep each other stocked if one of us has a situation come jack everything up. I gave him 5 white widow seedlings because i got excited and sprouted to many, and he tried but he didnt educate himself and killed them all. So no back up plan and back up stock for me lol im tryin to encourage him to give it another shot, i need a grow buddy lol

2 Likes

You are a wizard man

Use a bubble curtain instead of an airstone. It’s a flexible plastic tube that you can run around the sides of the container, as opposed to sitting in the middle, will better distribute the bubbles, and keep them at sides of the tank. This reduces the turbulence in the water, but will maintain high oxygenation.

4 Likes

Here’s one i started in this set up , its the one with to aggressive bubbles …after noticing that prob …i simply turned the valve to allow less bubble activity… Hammer.

3 Likes

Have you sprouted in your grow basket before, or just getting into it? See that it’s working for you as well as ktreez is great! Makes me feel way better about trying myself.

@Blountville …i sprouted mine in paper towels .and took the seedling .1/2 tap long then very very carefully transplant into the clay pebbles. do what @ktreez420 did and use the smallest clay pellets (sorted) to place it in. Cover with less 3/4- 1" pellets . But start off with the mesh pot being filled with 1/2–3/4 layer, then seed ,then top cover .

3 Likes

I’m using a bubbler, so going to place seed just above, 1/4-1/2" the level of my irrigation hose, which runs through the media. The hydroton in that area is continuously damp, but never directly exposed to water. Will see how it goes.

1 Like

It makes me feel so happy to see you knows already doing your own experiments! I love it boys!

3 Likes

I was wondering if you just left the seed in a napkin/paper towl centered vertically in the pot if that would work to hold it. As long as the napkin does no disintegrate from the water I would think the roots could easily punch through the napkin and the sprout would be able to find its way up.

1 Like

@Imnewatthis . It would Work ,But You shouldn’t do this . as it can very likely lead to damping off… the paper towel Will mold or mildew . not maybe but will .and then it will kill the seedling . are you using hydroton ? Its the clay pellets like in my above pict . if so separate enough little ones to make a base in the mesh pot a1/2–3/4 " .and then use more small ones enough to cover 3/4. Me i sprout them in pp towels .then as quick as they get 1/2-3/4 long tap place onto hydroton and cover with 3/4 " .have the h2o just touching the bottom of the basket , and Gentile bubbles coming up under it … as it grows and gets taller add a little at a time until the pot is almost full …Note i use a small diameter plastic bottle to hold the pellets back a little when adding them .then gently lift it up when done, each time it helps to keep from breaking the stem … Hope you find this usefull .Hammer .

3 Likes

@hammer has nailed it once again! Haha no pun intended! :raised_hands:

Update

Tomorrow I plan on transplanting the sprout from the bubble cloner to her own DWC bucket. I used bag seed, so I’m not sure if this is a male or a female yet. I’m taking the risk of growing it. How could I not?

4 Likes

So, I think I’ve discovered the best way to sprout a seed without any medium to interfere with the transplanting procedure that will happen once she starts rooting.

I germinated a seed, paper towel style. After 2 days, the seed had cracked and the tap root was coming out about an inch. I decided to wait another 12 hours to see if the tap root would grow longer, and it sure as hell did!

I took the sprouted seed, and used a neoprene disk to hold the sprout in the bubble cloner. I then placed a cup over the disk, to keep the light from harming the new sprout. This was done last night.

Today when I checked on her and lifted the cup away, she was standing upright about 2-3" from the neoprene disk. And when I lifted the disk to check the root, it was already another 2" and was beginning to grow side roots from the tap root. Incredible.

I literally have a plant growing in just a neoprene disk and water bubbling underneath. I will post pictures tomorrow for you guys to see. I really think this is the new way for me and starting seeds. We will see together though guys! :v:

4 Likes

Love it bro. Cant wait to see pictures this is useful information

1 Like

Here are some updated pictures for everyone

Firs pictures are of the sprout growing in a neoprene disc. My experiment worked!

These last pictures of of the first seed I successfully sprouted in my hydroton and net pots. I’ll be transplanting tonight.

4 Likes

Very nice sir
You know what i like most about this site
People have some really great ideas

2 Likes

Well done @ktreez420, a couple of months ago I tried to sprout seeds in jiffys, in my aeroponics bucket. It did not work, I think the aeroponics timer of 60 mins on, 30 mins off kept the jiffy too wet and drowned the seeds. So I bought another timer, one that is 20 seconds on, 30 mins off to do some experimenting. Unfortunately, I have no bag seeds left and with the trouble I have had getting my good seeds to sprout in last few months I don’t want to use any of them! So I bought some tomato seeds, as people often say marijuana and tomatoes have similar characteristics. I put 2 seeds in a Rockwool, and 2 seeds in a jiffy and put them back in on the same timer. After a couple of weeks I carefully pulled the Rockwool and jiffy apart for a look. The ones in the rock wool did nothing, which I was expecting as the Rockwool was constantly soaking wet. Although you can germinate seeds in water so perhaps this shouldn’t have stopped it germinating. When I pulled the jiffy open, I were very surprised to see a 1/2" tap root hanging off one of the seeds! It had been a couple of weeks, maybe it sprouted then drowned, maybe it was still alive, I’ve never grown tomatoes before so probably shouldn’t assume they would germinate and sprout in a similar time to our beloved cannibis seeds! I haven’t tried the other timer yet, as I’m not sure tomato seeds are a good substitute. I don’t want to get it so I can germinate and sprout tomato seeds with my eyes closed, and just kill cannibis seeds! My first attempt at germinating and sprouting seeds I had 100% success, and my 1st clones I had 50% success. The last 2 or 3 months I’ve had about 30% success with seeds, Only got 3 to sprout and I tried atleast 10! So I cut a clone off 1 of the bigger plants and it’s gonna have to somehow catch up lol. Since using aeroponics, I’ve had 100% success rate with clones, even when I forgot to split and scrape the end!

Have you tried germinating a seed in the neoprene discs, as my next grow will be hydro, I was going to try that next. But as I only have good seeds that I don’t want to put at any extra risk than I’m already having, I would probably have gone for Rockwool, or perlite. The perlite can easily be washed off the roots and the plant be transplanted to clay balls, but with the success you are having I might persevere a bit. Quite keen to try it in neoprene discs in the aeroponics. And if all else fails, I’ll just have to cut some monster crop clones from my plants which will be about 5 weeks into flower by that stage.

2 Likes

Update on the Bubble Cloner

She’s still working wonderfully! I take clones from my other bubble cloner once they have rooted, place them into this smaller bubble cloner, and then will transplant into DWC buckets. It’s been working extremely well for me!

Also, I successfully sprouted another bag seed in my bubble cloner!

4 Likes

Hi,I’m just away to plant my northern lights and I’m wondering how you stop them from stretching?

Plants stretch when there searching for light. So if the lights far away it stretches for it.

2 Likes