Several Beginner questions about Auto flowering, such as when does vegging stop, and flowering begin, and recommendations for strains

Hi guys. I have never grown before, and have not even bought a system to grow just yet. This is actually only my second topic on this forum, but I think I’m already getting more comfortable with the idea of growing my own just from reading posts off here and other sites. :smile:
I’ll start out with a little background.

I am blind, so no useable vision.
For all purposes, just close your eyes, and that’s what I’m going to have to grow with. lol

Now, as of right now, I’m thinking I’m going to buy the cash crop4.0 3’ tall version grow box from dealzer )Which is also sold off this site through dealzer).
I’ll go with the hydroponics version unless advised otherwise…
I figure I’ll also go with the CO2 option to help out with the yield, unless people think it’s not worth it…?

I’m really wanting to yield as close to 1 good ounce a month as I can.
I have no interest in producing half a pound each harvest, although 2 ounces a month wouldn’t hurt my feelings or anything. :wink:

I figure I’ll only get 1 or 2 plants in this grow cabinet at a time, and was thinking of using auto flowering strains at first.
I am mainly interested in the Blueberry auto from this site, Northern lights, and the white widow.

Taken in all the abuv with space, and my experience, which would you recommend, does any of those stand out as a better first choice?

Secondly, can anyone think of a way I would know when to swop the veg lights, for flowering lights on any of these strains?

Normally, you wouldn’t have to worry about it until you switched to 12/12, but since autos do not need the light periods to flower, about how long is the vegging period on these strains, or is this a question that I need to contact ILGM?

I welcome all input guys! :slight_smile:

I started my auto flowers under 24.0 for a week under T5 lamps. I then changed photo period to 18/6 and leave it there until harvest.

According to the data; Autos finish in 65-80 days from seed.

You harvest when the trichomes are at a desired % of cloudy and amber.

Have you downloaded and read Robert’s Free Grow Bible? Later, lw

1 Like

Hi, I have read the bible.
It was an interesting read, and one I’m sure I’ll read several times over.

I will not be able to check the trichomes for cloudiness (I’m blind, remember). :smile:

So, for sake of argument we willuse your example of 65 to 80 days.

How bad of an idea would it be to harvist at around 73 days?
I know it may not be the best at that date, but it is better than not having any harvist at all, right? :wink:

I’m thinking I’m going to have to pick a strain, and get extremely familiar with it to possibly get the best results, but that doesn’t sound so bad. lol :smile:

1 Like

If you can get pics and post them when it’s getting close we can till be the pic how close you are to harvest. I know you said your blind so I was just wondering.
Tom

Thanks Tom!
I might have to take more than a few pics to get good shots, but I could snap some pics for sure. :smile:
on another note, I’m looking at gro boxes that use LED lighting that cover both veg and flower, so for autoflowering strains, I just plant, keep an eye on the water and nutriants, and let them run at 18 hours a day… At least this is what I’m looking at now. :smile:

Hey SB,

I know you are blind. It is a hard fact to forget. I was merely informing you, as to what it takes to complete a harvest.

I would go with White Widow Auto flower. You get 10 seeds for the price of 5.

I agree with advice above. Send us pictures when you are in the harvest range. Just harvesting at 73 days might be OK, but, You may lose a significant amount of yield if plant is not finished, and that could be premature buds. You want to go as long as possible. So,"; I would recommend the full 80 days.

My question is what nutrients do I use and in what quantity I will buy what you recommend. Also, I was wondering what kind of lighting I use? As soon as I get my seeds I want to begin ASAP so it’d be nice to have the right information so I can get the most out of these plants. Thank you very much and I hope to hear from you soon

There is a vegetative stage obviously and a budding stage how long are each of the stages?

Hi @slick50
I use Advanced Nutrients line of nutrients.
I’m using the Grow Micro and Bloom Perfect PH lines,
As well as Voodoo Juice for the roots, and B52 for extra health.

During flower I use Big Bud to help out…

As for what Light you should use depends on how much you want to spend, and how much space you need to cover with the light.

For your second question, autos only veg for a short time.
Usually they start to flower after about 20 days from sprouting.
Then they go into flower which lasts about 6/8 more weeks depending on the strain, and other factors…

Before I can give you the best recommendations in relation to your questions, I need to know:

How much space are you using to grow in?

What type grow are you planning?

Soil, or Hydro?

Meanwhile; Look in our Buyer’s Guide. There are several grow components listed there. I recommend an Ipower digital lamp system. Most bang for the buck. Nutrient recommendation will have to wait until you tell us what type of grow you are planning. Steer clear of Advanced Nutrients unless you have a small fortune to spend and want to be confused.

Glad to help, and I must ask. Why didn’t you start your own topic? Have a great day. I will check later for your response.

Peace, lw

I’m just going to grow one of each seed and I’m growing in soil under
fluorescent lamps that’s all I can afford to do. I just drove for myself my
blueberry turned out awesome but it was not Autoflower it was just a
regular feminized blueberry seed

If you are growing in soil, I strongly recommend Foxfarm Grow Big , Big Bloom, and Tiger Bloom; For soil. You won’t need anything else except for PH up, and PH down. Once we get you dialed in on these nutrients, you might be able to look into additives. It is best to get a grow or 2 under your belt. I can show you where to get nutrients if you want.

For those who would start out with hydro. GH 3 part or AN 3-part (copied from General Hydroponics, as are all AN products. (copied from other companies)), as mentioned above is a perfect nutrient to start out with, and is all you need for the 1st grow or 2.

Thank you for the recommendations on the nutrients I have an awesome grow
store within a few miles from me and they carry all the fox farm products.
Right now I’m using Terra Flores for vegetative and for flowering and
phosphoload during flowering as well my blueberry is going crazy the bugs
are just huge and I’m only 3 weeks into budding. Luckily for me our water
here is really good my pH levels are right around 7. So I’m pretty stoked I
just wanted to know what you thought and if these nutrients will work well
with auto bud plants

Around how much and how often do you feed with foxfarms? Do you follow the feeding schedule or the the recomended dosage from the bottle cause theyre quite different.

It might seem confusing at first but, you use both. Directions on the
bottle are correct and mirror the feeding schedule with one exception.
The bottles do not inform you that you sometimes combine more than 1 part
with Foxfarm. You use the amount mentioned on the bottle but, combine it
with other products added in the feeding schedule.

Peace, lw