Seedlings in buckets

Done. I hate to say it, but I think people need to sort their shit out if they get offended by that. Religious or not, if I say it… its hardly offensive. Racism is only a problem because people take it seriously.

Nothin about racism was mentioned. It’s just a respect thing for everyone here. I personally wasn’t offended, I was just trying to be friendly an look out.

1 Like

I have all the techniques written down in front of me :slight_smile: so yeah I do plan to…
top once it gets to the 3rd set of leaves, then do it again when it grows another top
got a skrog net ready, can get another if shiz gets big big
il constantly clean the bottoms up once she gets going, so the energy is used up top

(tell me if im getting something wrong please)

LST for sureee dude, looks like the best way to fill a tent up as quickly as possible.
My ladies can grow up to 3-4ft and I have a large area to fill out… with 10 ladies.
Cutting off the fan leaves as in…? just cutting the bottom leaves off that don’t get enough light ect to get huge buds?

Congrats on those collas… the power of topping multiple branches one guesses?

1 Like

Sounds like you got it. Actually, I didn’t top at all. I just bent her down and tied her. I kept doing this in a circle around the top of the bucket. I trimmed all branches off that were on the bottom side, and never let her get more than 2 sets (very top and next node down) of fan leaves. The trick to high yield is in developing as many internodes as possible, getting as much light to the internodes as possible, and not letting any one branch dominate in height. Keep in mind, EVERY branch can be turned into a full plant. Every branch will develop as many internodes as the main stem if given the opportunity.

Topping too much can drastically reduce potency in my experience. If I top, which is very rarely, I do it no more than twice.

1 Like

The only fan leaves any of my ladies have by the 4th week of flower are the very top 2/cola.

I will without a shadow of a doubt use your method. I like the idea of branches all round the pot to expand to every corner of the grow space… very cool. When you get a sec, if you fancy giving me details on when you would tie her down first and second and so on, that would be smashing.
Also, im doing a hydro - so will that effect the whole tying her down… bit?

I like my plants like I like my women, tied down :wink: - joke in case I am asked to delete this… due to fear of someone with no sense of humour reading this.

1 Like

I do hydro exclusively: DWC. They love it! As soon as your lady is tall enough to reach the edge of the lid, tie her down. As she grows, just route her around the outer edge. If you reach a full circumference of the bucket, begin routing her in a spiral toward middle. You want to LST all the way until she finishes her flower “stretch”.

A note on defoliation:

This is a VERY effective method of getting HUGE colas. You must start slow, and watch her like a hawk. Some strains take to defoliation better than others. Sativa dominant strains handle it well. It is important to NOT defoliate after the “stretch”. Once your lady stops making leaves, she needs all she has got for photosynyhesis. As I said, I leave all the very top leaves on each branch intact (2nd tier at most). But, I NEVER trim an internode leaf. Come harvest you’ll have a loooong cola going from top to bottom. I’ll post a pic of one in a bit.

1 Like

This one measures 21" long. The plant is an unknown strain, but heavy Sativa genes. It is still 3-5 weeks (I hope…) from harvest. It’s not the greatest picture, but, I think you can see what I did. 4 fan leaves on the very top, and then all other leaves are sugar/internode leaves. This is one of 7 like it on the plant. Lol… You can even see a little offshoot (internode) branch with some buds on it. I just didn’t have the heart to cut it. It looked so cute trying to be big.

1 Like

You good sir, shall be my mr miagi! awesome stuff, your doing dwc - i’m about to start dwc, I will become the master one day haha
Very cool method, not cutting the internode leaves stops risk of damage, and also just lets her bud where she wants without disturbing her, good stuff.
I’ve got special queen 1 seeds - 1 choc haz and 1 super xl skunk (I am a traitor by not buying seeds from these guys, but they are uber pricey in comparison and I heard so many good things about royal queen)

aha! maybe you will know which led I should go for and if its worth the price - both used for 3 months, in good condition ect
choice is - Red one is znet 12 and other is vipar b3x4 - guys asking for £180 for either, but advised me on getting the vipar.
Znet is 496 actual watt and vipar is 465w
both have lenses - znet Is red which I like the appearance of
but I really don’t know which one is better, help me out broski

Ahhh McLovin San… Lights on… Lights off… Trim the leaf… Tie the stem… Man who grow colas accomplish anything. :slight_smile:

She’ll need the internode leaves for photosynthesis as well, since all but a few fan leaves are gone. Plus… Sugar leaves are what I make my bubble hash out of.

You have another thread where I broke down my lights for you. Frankly, having been a commercial electrician I learned this… Don’t pay for the brand name. I looked at the Vipers and Mars, then I found out they just tag them with their names. The lights themselves are made in China, and available directly through the manufacturer at half cost. Your £180 for 1 light, can easily get you much more! I am a total of $255 into my lights in use, and I have a veg room @ 384W, and a flower room @ 708W. You can get more bang for your buck by placing many smaller lights than one large one. At my next rotation I am installing another 256w of blue/white LEDs in my veg, and another 256w of red LEDs in my grow. They will be mounted along the walls instead of the ceiling. Those new lights (512w total) are broke into 64w individual panels and cost me $17.80 each: 8x17.80 = 142.40. That puts me at a total of $397.40 spent, 640w in veg, 964w in flower.

Alright enough of this math! I haven’t even had coffee yet, and I’ve had to edit this 3 times because math before coffee is sacreligous and nigh impossible.

1 Like

I was saying this to my ex girlfriend this morning… she was trying to talk seriousness and Its just impossible to compute without having had a large coffee, and dreadful nicotine… the sweet horrible nicotine.

Panel wise… dewd… I will get on that. But don’t I need a mother board or something for the panels? I like the sound of having an LED tent covered walls and ceiling… don’t miss a spot! if you can link me or let me know if you have to attach these panels to something that would be cool, sounds like a job for someone more qualified than i.

1 Like

Look on Amazon.com for “225 LED ultra-thin panel light”. They come with individual ballasts and cords, hangers, and are 11"X11". All I do is put a 12 socket splitter mounted where the cords will reach and plug them into the splitter. The splitter is then plugged into my timer.

They kick off very little heat as well. Most heat is on the back of the panel. I have all lights no more than 18" from the plants, and most of the time they are at 12" above. Works absolutely fabulously!

1 Like

I am very intrigued, I like everything about more lights, better positioning, looks coolet, ect ect
But price wise… best I have found on ebay is £25 for the 45watt 225 ultra thins, and I doubt that’s their actual wattage - also 45w x 10 = 450w for £25 x 10 =250 - less than 500 watts for more than £180 - confused about how this would be cost effective

I just did a quick search too… Seems I got lucky. Even the supplier I got mine through (apluschoice in California) only has the 32W-45W versions now. I bought my 64W versions from them about 3 months ago. I wonder if they are using a different LED now? That would explain wattage drop. But, the lumens on these are lower too… Hmmmmmm… That tells me they’ve gone to a lower wattage LED and not a more efficient LED. Major downer!

They’re also selling them for $22.80/each!! Wowza!

Now, and here’s something I haven’t been able to confirm precisely, but my experience indicates the following: the old rule of 50W/sq. foot may not apply to LED. I am getting yields equivalent to 50w/sq foot with my LED grows, but I am closer to 30W/sq foot. I think that LEDs, due to their ability to be placed so close to the plants are going to force LED growers to start thinking in the more accurate context of lumens in determining plant needs. The watt/sq foot is kind of a generic, lazy persons calculation anyway. Lumens are what the plant is interested in, not wattage. Back in the day when we all used MH and HPS wattage was the easy route to determine lighting needs because, due to the lights being so hot, we were forced to deal with lumen drop. It’s a bit of a puzzler that needs more practical application and experimentation to get it sorted.

Indeed… what a bitch! utterly gutted, I was looking forward to having 20 led plates around my ladies.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i think the bastards realise a large % of people don’t look at actual wattage, so they make more money and spend less on making them… possibly.
So what do we now think on the 500w led for £180? it has lenses, built pretty well in comparision to the 100 quid 200/250 actual watt others… It would be a nice lamp to have angled on side, along with my supposedly 300 actual watt (i have a feeling the guy knows its only 100) but we shall see. I’m amazed alibaba ect is charging such a huge amount for the 45ws! amazing… you need to buy 200-300 to get them for under 20 bucks, and even then its barely beating the 500w for £180
what are your thoughts dude?
(guna make a sandwich and a coffee)

1 Like

You can look in to this option too. These are 28w full spectrum LED bulbs in photography studio splitters: 5x28 = 140W. I got all 5 bulbs out of China for $17.85, and the splitter + cord cost ~$12.00. $29.85 for 140W @ 3000 lumens/bulb @ 12".

1 Like

The other 2 lights you see are 150w full spectrum UFO lights. I paid $29.99/light. You can also see one of the panel lights. I raised the panels up last night because I was seeing what I thought might be a little light burn happening. I’m going to monitor it and adjust lights accordingly.

I had to buy my lights piece by piece as I diverted $ from my computer refurbishing/sales business into my medical needs. God I wish I lived in a civilized country!

I got my grow started with 4 blue/white panels though… And you can see how well it all worked out.

I think distributors are milking us! Perfect example: look up bubble hash bags and you’ll see them going for $30-$60. Now, look up wine making bags. Yup… $15-$20. THEY ARE THE EXACT SAME THING!!!

Moral of the story: you can build or buy the exact same thing for cheaper, if you take marijuana out of the search criteria. Many growers/ marijuana use supplies can be found in other industries (photography and wine just being 2), and with some clever cross categorization you can achieve the exact same results with a less financial expenditure. If you have the funds, GO ALL OUT! But, for me, with 3 kids and living in an uncivilized, oligarchic, money rules all nation… I had to be clever and frugal.

2 Likes

I’d buy both if you can. You’re gonna want a veg room and flower room eventually. I’ve never met a grower who didn’t go to 2 rooms/tents once they got in the swing of things. :slight_smile

But, if you can only do 1, do not let the lens be the decider. I’d go with the cheaper of the 2 because, I am cheap, and with the proximity of light to plant deal, I can’t see much of difference, unless lumen output is significantly higher on the more expensive one. Plus, you are going to be in veg for at least 2 months. So you have time to expand as you can.