Seedling lighting

I’m first time grower and this is my very first grow!! Thank you thank you thank you all please be seated! I have a very controversial question? My question is can my seedlings have too much lighting? My seedlings are 8 days old and has nice leaf growth but stems looks quite thin. They aren’t stretching and I have a fan going.

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Saints, you’re plants look great for 8 days!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot. I was worried because on one of my seedlings the leaves are longer than the stem and I didn’t want it to get too long or heavy as to where it would touch the Rockwool.

6 Likes

yes @Saints as @MattyBear said i believe they are looking great!
a very gentle breeze would help some

4 Likes

Nice looking baby’s! :+1:
Those leaves are big and healthy but very heavy…
Be prepared to tie them to a stick. It’s good that them are shorter, them will take off when the root system will be ready to push them :wink:, end you will be pleased :relieved:

2 Likes

I’ll agree with my colleagues above that the plants look perfectly healthy.

Some variation in the leaves is to be expected.

3 Likes

They look great!
You don’t want them stretching. You want them short and fat just like they are now. Makes them bushy girls that produce tighter nodes and more flowering sites. A fan blowing over them (not directly on them so they don’t dry out to fast), but just enough to make them sway a little in the breeze will strengthen the stems and make them stronger. Looks like your on your way!

4 Likes

Thanks again everyone. My girls broke ground on February 1. Today February 10, the two girls that I have in Rockwool are showing roots out of the bottom. Not many at all. Should I go ahead and move them to my DWC buckets? I read that I’m supposed to move them soon as I see roots but they are young in my opinion.

2 Likes

Congrats! I’m a newbie as well, but I think the babies look great! Happy growing! :relaxed:

Ok so my two white widow autos are telling me something is wrong. These are the only two that I have in dwc buckets. PH maybe?.

Couple more pictures.

:thinking: is a light decorated leaf? My eyes are very tired and…
For soilless medium the pH level should be around 5.5-5.8… I hope this help…
Also is good to calibrate your pH meter before you use it…

@M4ur I calibrated my ph meter yesterday with 7.0 and 4.0 calibrating solution. Then I checked ph of my tap water 7.5, the water I buy 7.0 and my solution in my hydroponic buckets 7.1. Classic rookie mistakes.

3 Likes

So in my DWC buckets I’ll try to maintain a ph of 5.5 and 5.8 like you stated and for my bag seeds in soil I’ll try to maintain a ph between 6.3 and 6.5. Right?

3 Likes

I hope you guys can see.

2 Likes

Yep!

I don’t really know about hydro/coco but for soil should be around 6.3-6.8…6.5 is the sweet point :wink:. Let me know if you need more help :+1:

1 Like

I will and thank you very much. Oh and one more question @M4ur. If temp outside is 75 during the day and sunny is it ok if I bring plants outside during daylight hours and bring them back in at night and put them under my light? I want to save hours on my light. Plants are 17 days old.

1 Like

Yes and no!
Yes… Will love the sun(we all love that) but you need to do this easy, 1-3h a day(direct sunlight) but not directly under the sun (I hope you understand what I mean)
And NO! Because them can get all king of bugs and diseases…
Maybe you can put them near to a window?

2 Likes

Understood and understood @M4ur!!! :wink::muscle:t4::+1:t4: And a window it is!!!
@dbrn32 and @Daddy I could use those plans and specs for that light setup now.

1 Like