Scale back water after flushing?

Hello all, I have a question and always looking for knowledge. My Cotton Candy [picks in my other post] is almost ready to harvest and I cut her nutes off and scaled back her water, and did a flush. My question is should I scale her water way back to let her use up her nutes in the feeder leaves and such or just keep watering like I am? Thanx all

1 Like

I personally don’t actualy flush my plants. I’ll just give them water the last week or so but I give them the same amount of water as I usually do.
I use organic fertilizer though so it isn’t really necessary for me to do a actual flush, meaning 3x the amount of water as soil.
If it were me I would still give them the same amount of water just no nutrients. It should still use up the stores nutrients in the leafs if you don’t add nutrients into your water. (At least that is my understanding)

1 Like

I dont flush either @fishhead4268 and @Jmesser80
I’ll stop feeding about two weeks prior to harvest and let them use up what’s in soil and what the have stored up I also stop watering about a week from harvest but will continue water feed schedule up tonight hat Point :+1:
Flushing is a personal choice ???
I don’t see the need to feed them fish it all out a week or two later ? Just my thoughts

1 Like

I stopped feeding 10 days ago, I think she has another few days at least what I see in her if you seen the pics on the post. I been giving her 1/4 of the water every 4 days now, leaves are starting to turn quicker. first Autos so far so good.

I saw on one of these that flushing the soil has something to do with preparing the soil for the next grow. I don’t know about the other stuff like potency or whatever but in general, with any plant, changing something drastically causes stress to the plant.

Usually not a good thing, but if it has some positive effect from that stress, then it would make sense. I would like ILGM clarification on their defined purpose. For me, indoor, I’m starting fresh with new dirt.

I just flushed the one Kandi thats almost ready and dropped her water , It didnt seem to stress her out if you seen the pics I put up. The Autos are new to me and so is growing in 4 & 5 gal pots. I heard its good to do and some say its not needed, Im always going for safe first but thats why im asking so many questions so I can learn and grow my own meds during winter. I would like to hear others thoughts on flushing also…

@fishhead4268 I use a chemical flush like sledgehammer when my plants have a problem and I want to reboot her so to speak . Be fore harvest I use only ph water so the plant Cannibalizes herself To use up extra nutes in soil and makes for a smoother taste and not be so harsh. But I don’t cut back on the amount of water. My girl takes a gallon of water 2-3 days only letting the top 2 inches of soil to dry out. What I have found is that if I give here a 1/4 gal then come back in 10-15 minutes for a hour she will drink at lest a 1/4 gal more . And the more she takes in correctly the better the harvest is.

Mine are in smaller pots (what was available) and are ending week 3 of flowering. I have 2 different size pots, one terra cotta, one glazed ceramic. I can’t measure how much I give and have it make sense. the smaller terra cotta pot uses water faster, doesn’t take as much at a time, needs water more often, etc.

If you are like me, as a beginner I am more worried about not killing it, not harvesting too early or too late, etc. I think these are conversations for the professional grower, and we’re just spinning our wheels on the surface. Suffice it to say that I want it to work, and work well, and I can worry about refining harshness later… IMHO.

@Whodat66
First off welcome to ILGM!

You don’t want to reuse soil from one grow to the next. You always want to start off with good fresh soil on every grow so the plant can feed off the nutrients. There wont be any natural nutrients left by the end of the grow which is why we have to feed them with nutes.

Stressing a plant in the last week of flower is a good thing. It causes them to put on a burst of growth by triggering a defense mechanism. A few of the growers here split the stem on the last week of grow to induce stress right before harvest.

Fabric and air pots are the choice of most growers here. Its real hard to over water using fabric pots. Three gallon pots for autos, and 5 gallon pots for photos.

1 Like

Theres no lack of knowledge for sure and thats what its about, collecting knowledge and growing the best meds you can!!! I still have more questions than answers with Miss Kandi couple days away and Crital Kush about 20 days behindher and also the outside Garilla grow[download pics thur] Im lovin talkin with you all and pickin your brains. Im good at it and I have tons of time to learn and grow.:peace_symbol:

THANKS! I’m a rookie to this, but I’ve been gardening for 40 years. I get the concept, but not the specifics for this attention-whore breed of plant :smile: If you look at an y tomato growing book, all the leaf identifiers for issues are the same. My leaves started looking a little yellow, so I added coffee grounds for nitrogen. This is fun though.

I have 2 bag seed plants, from different bags I guess since there aren’t many these days, and I have 2 very different plants. One skinny and taller, one bushy. And as of today :tada::sparkler::fireworks: they have a distinctly different aroma. One smells like a skunk, the other like a ferret :slight_smile:

Question. Since I don’t know what I’m growing, I can’t go by timeframe to know when to start this process. I do have a microscope to check the trichomes, and also understand the percentage of red hairs theory. My question is this:

What is the best way to know when to start this time-sensitive process so that your flowers don’t over-ripen or under develop? I guess what would help me most is a “backwards” calendar from

Ready to cure
Harvest and dry
The darkness thing
Flushing and-or not giving nutrients while watering regularly
etc.

If I could see this based on a certain observation, or better yet a table that shows what each thing would look like at a particular stage (trichomes, hairs, etc.) my mind could piece it together better. I also have a degree in education, so if you guys give me the info, I can put a harvesting guide “flow chart” together or something. I could also probably come up with a way to plug in dates on a spreadsheet to know when each step should happen.

1 Like

It would also be good to see the discussions after something “definitive” is posted. Those can grow or refine the chart, add options, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s great info on here about everything, but there isn’t that nugget that puts it all together for me as far as flushing, dark period, splitting the stem, etc. is there one you shouldn’t do if you did another? You know, stuff like that. And to get expert opinions on the process would rock.

Also, what about “home cures” and tricks for nutrients, deficiency problems? I know you guys are selling stuff, but what about using molasses, milk,(all diluted heavily of course) to add to the grow? I know that molasses has sulfur for example, but is there a reason to use it or not to use it?

SO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

1 Like