Safety Glasses - Are they necessary?

i dont think there IS a rating for LED grow lights

UV, yes

IR i wasnt aware of. i have an IR security camera system throughout my house. The IR only turns on when the lights are off. if there is danger from IR, the company selling the IR cameras was negligent in not informing me

i think UV and brightness are the issues. i dont think IR or LEDs in general are an issue. If anyone has actual proof of a general danger from LEDs that does not include UV or brightness, then i would REALLY be interested

until then, it is all speculation. i bought 3 pair of LED glasses. They seem to remove the reds and blues from leds. they do that and they work at that. they also reduce overall brightness.

i don’t think they are needed if you are smart. i certainly think they are worth it if you want them. i have seen no evidence of general LED danger or IR for that matter. not looking at bright areas made me not seem to even need the glasses

UV is dangerous on many levels, that is understood

if there is actual science about danger from general LED or IR, please post it here

@BudBuddy you got an amazing deal dude! Lol i’ll give you $5 for one haha

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I don’t know much about glasses I never needed them but I am having some eye issue more then likely not from the LED light but my eyes are sensitive to all light right now so I thought I would get some grow glasses and that’s when I posted these @ktreez420 has said these were rated at 400UV and said he believed LED grow glasses would have a higher rating so that’s where all that came from. I just was trying to figure out if these were good or not. I mean I have polarized sunglasses I wear all the time when out and sometimes in the house too when my wife does her nails and has all the damn lights on in the living room.

1 Like

They have a bunch on ebay except 1 pair is $6.99 or 2 for $8

i got these and i bet they will work for you. they do say 100% UV blocking

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5LAJUG/

i do not use UV and ended up not using the glasses much. i do offer them to guests

i dont use them not because they do not work, i use them because my eyes were telling me how to address the lights so i dont have to use the glasses. i make my living with my eyes as a video director, i have thought about this a lot

the glasses work. i am sensitive to light with light green eyes. my eyes are my moneymaker

i am just not convinced of the need if you are careful and practice good optical hygene

now cobs and the like are likely another story, but i think that would be more of a brightness issue so you be looking for something closer to a neutral density filter, but this is all theory as far as LED lighting as far as i know. i do not know about nor have i used cobs or kits or anything like that

i would love to know more actual science because this is potentially important to us all

1 Like

I also have light green eyes, the most rare and light sensitive lol! But I get compliments all the time. I can’t be outside without sunglasses, I literally own 4 different pairs. So to me, these are extremely important!

If I had green eyes and they were just sensitive just because of color I think I would get a eye transplant and change the color.

no way dude… Only 1% of people have them. It’s unique and part of who I am! Plus, eye transplant lol? They make color contacts even for people who don’t wear contacts, like me. 20/20 with these green, sensitive eyes lol

2 Likes

I was kidding. My eyes are jacked due to old age and medication. I have small bumps on my eyes so doctors recommendation was to never be out in the sun without sunglasses.

you are correct, green are the most sensitive which is why i pointed out that i had them and that i use my eyes for a living and, without UV and with common sense, i dont see them as a requirement, even tho i bought 3 pair

and yes everyone, if you dont know, green eyes are silly sensitive, especially to sunlight (at least to me). sunlight is unbearable

the LEDs are fine as long as i am careful with my direct gaze.

but again, i dont use UV. i think that is a very important distinction

2 Likes

yea sunlight is the worst. It can be a cloudy day, completely overcast but I will be squinting and tearing without sunglasses. I hate it, but it’s part of me! I’m glad to know I’n not the only one @mulch!

2 Likes

As far as the uv with led go, I wouldn’t be ridiculously concerned about it.

Uv is absolutely dangerous! However the amount and type of uv provided by the typical grow light that advertises “full spectrum with uv and ir” is barely if at all into the uv spectrum and there is very little of it.

Uv is classified in 3 different categories. Types a,b, and c. Pretty much all uv diodes are uva. Even more that are actually in lights are like 5nm from being considered violent instead of ultraviolet. Even the middle of the road 380nm diodes are usually around $10 each. I’m sorry, but you’re not getting these in a $100 light. And this is probably the point where enough of it would start being dangerous. To get an led that gets into the uvb range takes something like $100, with most being several hundred. And that’s per diode, not the light fixtures. Most led manufacturers don’t even make them due to stability issues and cost. To get uvb you usually have to go fluorescent. Like a reptile or tanning bulb. I’m not even sure where uvc exists, but it’s definitely not in led grow lights.

Hid lighting is a different story. Strangely easier to physically look at, but probably more dangerous. I would be more worried about protecting from the actual spectrum here, and more worried protection from light intensity from leds. So I’d wear something, but I don’t think it’s necessary to be as critical about it for leds.

1 Like

well its not like I stare into the darn light anyways. Im just trying to look pro so thought if I had all the gadgets I would scare my plants into growing right! LOL

3 Likes

what about something like this @dbrn32?

https://smile.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Repti-Glo-Fluorescent-Terrarium/dp/B00101GDIG/ref=sr_1_4?tag=greenrel-20

https://smile.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-25157-Reprising-Fluorescent/dp/B00A8RHTYU/ref=sr_1_3?tag=greenrel-20

1 Like

Ya buddy, those are the ones. If you’re using them, you would definitely want protection to at least what they are advertising the lights are providing. I think uvb is considered between 315 and 280nm.

Thank you for that clarification. My main reason for glasses in first place was so I can see the plants in real color not the blurple as you put it. So for what I wanted then these great cheap $4 glasses will do. Thanks again man.

1 Like

for the record, my 1st post in this thread mentioned UV-b, as i was careful to make a distinction.

there are things that are known dangers, to the eye and even skin, as uv-b is

there are things that may not be dangerous, like led lights

going outside without sunglasses, for me, is very unpleasant. yet even with uv-b and my green eyes, i have lived a life that included being outdoors without sunglasses and still have good vision

i am pretty sure if you are not staring at your LED bulbs and using moderation, not using glasses is perfectly safe and acceptable

now, if you want color correction or more sustained time under the lights, of course glasses are a great option. your money, your eyes, right?

1 Like

$8 for 2 pair if it works for the color correction then im happy with that.

it wont be what you are looking for. pick it up and take it outside or better lighting in your house. the glasses work, but its not what you want to see. sorry. you need real light to see what you want to see

(add a regular bright light to your grow area, the plants dont seem to mind me turning out the LEDs for a few minutes to take flash photos. its not like plants die outside when a cloud passes by)

Oh nah I have puled my plants out the tent and turned on the bright light in my living room. Trim or what ever I need to do then I put it back and move to the next one. If its someone on here that has done the unexpected with plants trust me I am probably that guy. If a plants weak they got no business in my tent they wont live long.

2 Likes