Safety Glasses - Are they necessary?

I’m lighting with LEDs and I’m wondering if safety glasses are necessary or not? It’s my first grow and my plants are just seedlings at this point. I only open the tent for a minute or so twice a day. I’m sure I’ll be exposed more as the plants require more care.

Is the bright light from the LEDs dangerous, or is it a personal preference?

1 Like

@HappyCamper It’s very bad for your eyes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01I5LAJUG/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1502589679&sr=8-7&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+glasses&dpPl=1&dpID=31ZtrCpNAKL&ref=plSrch
Cheap but effective

3 Likes

Thanks @hillbilly103! They’re in my cart. : -)

1 Like

Got to protect those eyes :eyes:

1 Like

Never thought about it but I have a LED light and have been having some eye issues. I found these on ebay for 2 pairs for $8. Guy says rheres a few small scratches on the side lenses. Do you think these will work?
TrichPharm LED Grow Room Glasses, UV Protection, 2 pair !

3 Likes

Yea I think they’d be great, just make sure that they’re rated for protection in LED lighting.

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Yes please everyone wear polarized glasses,
If need be you can ask Latewood, he has to get shots in his EYES because of hid lighting.
Led is a different type but still intense!!!
Just don’t want anyone to jeopardize their vision
I got mine in Walmart in the fishing gear $10$ totally worth it @HappyCamper

1 Like

this is what the listing says"

NEW OTHER:

Glasses are unused but may have imperfections/scratch on side lens.

INTERNATIONAL BUYER SPECIAL!!!

COMMERCIAL INTERNATIONAL SPÉCIAL!

Internationale koper SPECIAL !!!

2 PACK

TrichPharm Safety Glasses LED Grow Glasses

Stocked in the USA!

Ships Same Day!

Contact us for custom shipping quote.

Features:

• High Quality

• LED Color Correction(our photos are taken under the KIND K3 LED)

• UV 400 Protection

• Impact Resistant Poly-carbonate Lens

• Adjustable

• ANSI Z87.1

• EN 166:2002

• EN 172

• CE

I think they’re just regular sunglasses being promoted as LED sunglasses, because they’re only rated at 400 UV, but I feel like true LED glasses have a better rating? Maybe I’m just thinking too much tho!

Well what should they be rated as cause I already ordered them. If I wear both pairs at the same time will it double the protection? lol

Good question!! hahah you’re funny @BudBuddy and you’d look funny with both on!

@dbrn32 I know you know a bunch of info on actual LED’s and the tech behind it…but any insight on protective glasses while working in them?

A company called MethodSeven claims they have 100% UV protective glasses, but I don’t know about that!

1 Like

Id rather look funny and dumb wearing 2 pairs of glasses then blind!

I have Applo glasses :eyeglasses: that I linked from amazon and would rate them 5​:star::star::star::star::star:

if your light doesnt have UV, i would think it has more to do with brightness than anything. and then, if using UV-b (like with an LEC or supplemental), my opinion is that the light should be turned off if humans will be coming into contact with it, as UV-b absolutely causes skin cancer

my LEDs do not have UV but they are bright and were painful and i did wear the glasses at first. now, i just dont look at the lights and i seem to be fine without them for most tasks.

to stress, i have no UV in my lights.

if its just brightness, common sense should be pretty good as preventative, imho. ymmv, it is your eyes, protect them as you need to

Viparspectra light, has UV and IR lights

I bought these for my HID lights last year, but they work for LED’s too!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KQRSSOW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

I would use them, but I can’t say one is better than the other. If you have some decent sunglasses that you trust actually protect your eyes from harmful light rays, they will probably work. I have a pair of Oakley’s I usually wear and the light is manageable. But I don’t gaze off into the light either lol.

Most of the “blurple” lights aren’t terrible. But if you’re growing with any of the white lights, you couldn’t stare at it if you wanted to. Especially the colder whites! Even a single cob in cold white is pretty much neck jerking and squint immediately bright. I would assimilate it close to weld flash, only you know it’s hurting your eyes immediately.

I just looked at a bunch of glasses none of them give the rating. Although one does have a ansi Z87 standard and so do these so like I said worse case I will wear both pairs. Not like I have anyone over when I tend to my plants anyway. Ill just pretend I’m forest gump playing gardener.

Found these for $32 don’t seem any better then the $4 pairs I bought.

These are them"

1 Like