Rookie grow- the adventure begins!

Nice :+1: on the quick flip of the unit
Too bad we are on opposite coasts I have a couple small units i no longer use
Only used them one season too :thinking:
Iā€™ll probably sell them this summer just to get room in my basement for more junk lol
Glad it seems to be working out for you @Ray4x

1 Like

Evening Update 6/20

Officially one week since my magic beans began to sprout and now have 4 days under lights in the tent. The girls are looking great and are starting to sprout another set of leaves. The stretching has stopped for now so I think that is a good sign for root development.

I officially flipped the AC unit for a profit and am purchasing an in wall unit for that room tomorrow- hoping that will help temps even more. I got my two new 6" clip on fans and those are now in too. Right now the tent is averaging about 90-95 with about 30% RH. Iā€™m only spraying the soil for now but it is seeming to dry up very quick. Should I continue to just lightly water for now? Iā€™m concerned the moisture isnā€™t sinking down far enough for the roots.

Let me know your thoughts on my progress!

-R4

Ps theyā€™ve all been named. From top to bottom:
Bobbi (Iā€™all Bobbi like that one best -Father in law aka seed gifter)
Wanda (I Wanda how big sheā€™s gonna get -Wife)
Shirley (Sheā€™s Shirley going to be the tallest -Me)

@Rugar89
@bob31
@GetbackJoJo
@Ron330
@Countryboyjvd1971

5 Likes

So I just bought one of these 600W LED Viparspectra lights used for $100. It says it has 276 True Watts. But the light is a little bigger so it will cover more footprint. Do you think I should use that along with the 1000W (280 true) light I already have in there? Or is that too much light?

@bob31
@Rugar89
@Countryboyjvd1971
@Ragnar
@Nug-bug

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019ETLC7M/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498082536&sr=8-1-fkmr0&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=vispar+600w+led

3 Likes

Remind us what tent your in. @Ray4x

1 Like

@Nug-bug

He has a 4x2x60"

@Ray4x
Wait and see what the experts have to say, but Im thinking use the light you just bought in your tent by itself for now because of the better coverage, and when time to flower put them both in there.
Good deal on that light!

1 Like

Iā€™m in a 2x4x5 tent right now. Thatā€™s another issue I foresee is the height in the tent is going to be a problem down the road. Iā€™ll need a way to rig the light up as high as I can. Also I might end up moving the filter and fan outside the tent. Here is a picture of my current setup.

1 Like

Thanks @Rugar89!

I didnā€™t plan on buying another lightā€¦ but saw that on LetGo and I couldnā€™t pass it up. He had it listed at $150 but took $100! Also got an in wall AC unit :grin:

Oops this is getting expensive

3 Likes

@Ray4x letā€™s run the numbers! All the experts recommend 30-50 true watts per sq foot.

You have about 550 true watts? (I did the math in my head but I hope Iā€™m close!

You have 4x2 so thatā€™s 8 sq feet

550 / 8 is time for calculator lol is 68.75 watts per sq foot.

Youā€™re way above the recommended wattage but Iā€™m not sure if that is bad?

I did the hard part! Lol opinions?

3 Likes

@bob31

that was about what I figured too. Iā€™m thinking of just rocking the 600 W Viparspectra because it has a bigger footprint so I think it will give me more wiggle room under the light. Then when I start flowering Iā€™ll pop the 1000W on there too and let em go!

1 Like

@Ray4x looks like weā€™re starting off at the same time and our temps in the tent seem to be the same haha . Tag me in the grow hopefully we can learn some new things

I would run them both, just to cover all the edges. I know the Vipraspectra has a veg and bloom switch, other light looks like just on and off. Running the Vipra on veg only will drop your wattage to between 45-50W per sq ftā€¦

If the electric bill is not an issue, use them bothā€¦ Not enough light stunts growth on your plants, to much light, well, has anyone had that problem yet (I said to much light, not lights to close)ā€¦

Just my opinionā€¦ But I am also heavily medicated to, so take it as you will :wink:

Hey @Ocean_grower welcome to my grow journal!

Super cool we are both starting at the same time. Tons of great info on this forum.

If you start a journal tag me over as well so I can follow with you.

@Ron330

So you think use both but keep the Vipra on Veg mode only?

My next question would be how to best set it up in my tent? Because I would probably have the 600W in the middle since itā€™s bigger. So wouldnā€™t the 1000W be off to one side? My tent is a rectangle so I have more room left and right as opposed to front and back.

I think running them both is going to add to your already troublesome heat issues. Just something to think about.

My 450Vipras donā€™t really give off any heat, and I run 2 in a 3x3ā€¦ But if heat is an issue, One will be plenty for 3 plants, at least until they get close to flowerā€¦

How are your heat issues now, whats your tent temps with just the 1000w light runningā€¦

@Ron330

With the 1000W going Iā€™m up in the 90ā€™s. But Iā€™m hoping the AC unit I got yesterday should be able to help significantly. I will need to run it and see what it does to the room.

2 Likes

Is that new AC unit helping any with the heat?
Any new photos of the girls?

@Rugar89

Yeah the AC seems to be helping. The room feels much cooler.

Iā€™ll take some pics of the girls when the lights come back on at 4.

1 Like

@Rugar89
@bob31
@Countryboyjvd1971
@Ron330

Here is a quick shot of the girls. Temps in the tent were only at 90! So thatā€™s a success!!

Hey got a quick question. Iā€™m going out of town from tomorrow until Sunday. Any advice on watering? Should I just give them plenty of water tomorrow morning? I assume they should be good for 2 days if they get a good watering tomorrow right?

3 Likes

@Ray4x
They look like they are on the dry side right now. I would water them a little more then usual right now to let some start to soak in deeper. Then just before you leave water to slight run off.

Iā€™ve been watering mine to slight run off every other day for four days now. Just enough to feel a slight amount of moisture on the bottom of the cups. Not dripping wet. But mine are in smaller pots then yours and totally dry out in two days.