Rookie grow- the adventure begins!

looks like an Apollo

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Hydroponic-Indoor-Growing/dp/B00H9OJHYA/

2 Likes

Well that vent design sucks! Your going to have to do what @Ron330 suggested, and run your intake from the top side port. But you need the duct to pull the air to the bottom inside of the tent. I would run one long ducting from the ground outside the tent, up and in the top side port, then back to the bottom. That way your pulling cooler air from the ground instead of up high. Problem I see is if your 4" fan is going to be up to the task of pulling air that far. I kind of doubt it.

Maybe get one more 4" booster fan, and put two on the intake line. One outside the tent, and one inside.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m with you @bob31
Also @Ray4x you might want to clean the condensor coil on that portable unit I suspect it might be a bit dirty you should only get about 30 degrees higher temps comping off coil so if room is say 80 your exhaust temps w should be around 110 if they are higher coil is probably dirty with dust and stuff common problem with portable units
You can try blowing out with a air compressor or washing it out with a hose just be careful not to wet motors and controls if you do that lol
And the booster fan should help on exhaust of unit :+1:
How many cfm is the 4 inch fan
Happy growing

1 Like

Smoke a big olā€™ bowl of your favorite ā€œcreativeā€ buds, and lets think about thisā€¦

Ok, here is what I got, lol, not the best, but a ā€œplan Bā€ if you willā€¦

I know, I know, those 4 yrs of graphic arts I took are really paying off now :sweat_smile: Never said a good idea, but an idea none the lessā€¦ Use flex hose between box and fan to create a corner for light blockingā€¦

5 Likes

Thanks for the responses guys!
It is an apollo tent just like Ron said.

@Ron330
:joy: that looks like redneck engineering at its best! But I think itā€™s a pretty good idea! I kinda had something similar in mind but thatā€™s a great sketch of it.

@Rugar89
Yeah the vent design isnā€™t the greatest. When I bought it I hadnā€™t planned on running an intake. Oh well guess I gotta make due with what I got now!

@bob31
So I shouldnā€™t vent the air out of the room like I originally planned? What about ge exhaust from the AC unit? I should probably try to get that out of the room right?

@Countryboyjvd1971
The 4in inline is a 100 CFM fan. I will try cleaning off the condenser cool and see if that helps. It also keeps just turning itself off of ā€˜coolā€™ mode. I think because it was getting too hot? Or maybe itā€™s dirty? Iā€™m thinking of trying to resell this used portable one and get an in wall unit instead. What do you think?

4 Likes

Yes recirculate the cooler air and exhaust the ac exhaust. If you exhaust from inside the tent under those high temps your gonna just be exhausting the cooler air.

Once it cools down you will probably want to switch it around or when the girls start to get stinky.

Just watch the cold air coming into the tent as you donā€™t want 40 degree air blowing on the plants.

I like the drawing @Rugar89 solid Iā€™m impressed!

We used to say bang our heads together and see if any knowledge falls out? Hahaha :v::+1::palm_tree::grin:

1 Like

I think you already banged yours to hard @bob31 :dizzy_face:
It wasnā€™t me, it was @Ron330 LMAO

1 Like

That would work just perfect :ok_hand:
It sounds like itā€™s tripping a pressure switch or a thermal overload on you compressor so yeah try cleaning it and see if that helps if not sell it and get a cheap unit for wall or window if you have one available
But Iā€™d try cleaning it first bro Iā€™ll bet thatā€™s what it is just from experience
We use a few in my buildings and they tend to get dirty faster than other styles of Ac equipment? I think because the voila are so compact to fit in that small space they can handle to much dust and stuff pet hair etc

2 Likes

I bumped my head as a child lolā€¦

2 Likes

Morning Update 6/19

So looks like lowering the light has helped ease the stretching a bit. I had to transplant into slightly bigger pots because the stretching had gotten so far on two of them that they were getting really flimsy. So I wanted to bury them stem down slightly. I watered very little yesterday and the temps were about 90-97 in the tent with about 30% RH.

Looks like they sucked up a bunch of the water so Iā€™m hoping for a little growth spurt. They havenā€™t really grown too much over the last couple of days- but I think that is because they are developing their root system. Iā€™m still on a 14/10 light schedule but I think I should change it to be 16/8ā€¦ currently the lights are on during the day but I want to change that to help with temps. Is it ok to just go ahead and change from 6am on 8pm off (currently) to 4pm on to 10am off without any transition period? Should I just leave the lights on straight through into 10am tomorrow or should I cut the lights today at 10?

@bob31
@Rugar89
@Ron330
@Countryboyjvd1971

-R4

3 Likes

I would just leave them on until 10am tomorrow when you start new dark scheduleā€¦ I kept my seedlings under 24/7 light for the first week or so with no problemsā€¦

2 Likes

Your doing fine at this stage they will focus more on root development more than anything
And if you put them into bigger pots they will try to fill the pot with roots before upward growth really starts @Ray4x

3 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971

How do I clean the condenser coil?

Do I need to take it apart?

If you have a air compressor just blow it out. Blow the dirt and crap out of the fins.

@Ron330
@Rugar89
@bob31
@Countryboyjvd1971

Redneck engineering at its finest!

So I have closed all other passive vents and just have the one intake hooked up. The sides of the tent are pinching a bit which I believe means that I have good negative pressure in the tent. The girls are looking perky and Iā€™m going to leave the lights on until 10 am tomorrow to switch over to a 16/ 8 schedule with the lights going out around mid-day to control heat. I also switched the exhaust from the tent to stay in the room.

I think Iā€™m going to have to try and sell the portable Ac unit and get an in wall unit. I cleaned out the condenser coils and hooked up the other inline for exhaust and itā€™s still putting out a lot of heat and shutting off after a short time.

5 Likes

I represent that remark! :palm_tree::+1::grin::v:

2 Likes

hehe, it livesā€¦

youā€™ll want more tape or something to get rid of some of them light leaks, but looks good, better than I could of imagined :v:

@Ron330

Yeah I ran out of duct tape :neutral_face:

Iā€™ll get some more and cover all that light up!

Thanks for the design! Haha

4 Likes

Looking good hahaha you can put a fan on it now and blow air into tent
Thatā€™s why they probably sold it as well bro
Sorry it didnā€™t work out @Ray4x
hooe you can find something that works out for you
Where are you located out west right ?

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971

Yeah Iā€™m out in California. I actually have someone coming to buy the unit from me for $85ā€¦ I bought if for $50 :grinning:

Iā€™m gonna take that $85 and see if I can find a decent wall unit for the room.

2 Likes