Robmin1973 grow 2018

Good afternoon,

I’ve spent my time on this forum reading through other people’s grow journals and WOW I am impressed with all the posts. I have decided to journal my grow as I do want to become a good indoor grower. Ha, I want the glory of saying I can grow my own tasty buds.

For my grow, I will be using a 3rd bedroom that is considered my space in the house. The plan is to buy everything around the beginning of February 2018. I live in New England to give everyone an idea of the outdoor temperatures I will be experiencing during my indoor soil grow.

I will start with the items I plan on buying after looking at some grow tent lists from other grow journals. On my first go, I will try 4 plants most likely autoflowers(i can really use advice on what seeds to buy for my space). Will take any advice on my purchase list below. I will most likely buy another light in the future. I am paying a little more for items I feel have more value but will take advice if i’m wasting loot on things.

$289.00 Secret Jardin DARKROOM 3.0 DR150, 59" x 59" x 93"
$149.45 VIVOSUN 6 Inch 440 CFM Inline Fan with Speed Controller and 6" Carbon Filter 8 Feet ducting Combo
$65.99 VIVOSUN 6 Inch 440 CFM Duct Inline Fan with Variable Speed Controller
$749 OPTIC LED OPTIC 6 COB LED Grow Light 620W (UV/IR)
$9.49 ThermoPro TP50 Digital Hygrometer Indoor Thermometer Humidity Monitor with Temperature Humidity Gauge
$22.48 Comfort Zone CZ6C 6-Inch 2-Speed Clip-On Fan (White, 2 Fans)
$3.95 TopoGrow 2PCS/1 Pairs Rope Ratchet Grow Light hangers YoYo Hangers 1/8’’ 150lb (2PCS/1 Pairs)
$10.99 Vivaplex, 4, Large, 24 oz, Sturdy, Empty, Plastic Spray Bottles, with Black Trigger Sprayers
$9.95 Xtreme Gardening Mykos Pure Mycorrhizal Inoculant, 100 g, 2 Count
$13.99 LeaningTech Digital PH-2011 Meter + TDS-966 Water Quality Purity TDS Tester Electrolytic Device Testing 0-9999 PPM for Aquarium Pool Water
$21.34 Hydrofarm HGS14P Garden Saucer, Green, (14-Inch), Pack of 10
$7.69 WinnerEco Cell Phone Magnifier Universal Optical 65X Zoom Cell Phone LED Telescope Camera Clip Microscope
$11.61 Chapin 20000 Poly Lawn and Garden Sprayer For Fertilizer, Herbicides and Pesticides, 1 Gallon
$12.83 Bug Shield Fan Intake/Exhaust Screen, 6"
$20.99 Purple Reign 125V 24 Hour Hydroponic 8 Outlet Power Strip Grow Light Timer
$60.40 2x FoxFarm FX14079 Ocean Forest Soil Bag, 1.5 cu. ft.
$73.49 2x FoxFarm FX14047 2-Cubic Feet FoxFarm Happy Frog Potting Soil
$42.41 Fox Farm FX14049 Liquid Nutrient Trio Soil Formula: Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom (Pack of 3 - 32 oz. bottles)
$10.80 247Garden 5-Pack 5 Gallon Grow Bags /Aeration Fabric Pots w/Handles (Black)
$8.18 General Hydroponics GH1514 General Hydroponics Ph Control Kit
$15.41 General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter Replacement Plugs 50 count
$13.00 2x Hydrofarm Vented Humidity Dome, 7.5"
$2.00 2x HydroFarm Cut Kit Tray 10" x 20" (100/cs)
$20.00 2 Pack Straight Tip Trimming Scissors with Titanium Coated Blade, Pruning Snips by Happy Hydro

Total a little under $1800, I am hoping to find some better deals and maybe advice on things that might not be right for my intended grow. Not sure if the pots are too large for autoflower. I will probably will need to add a heater, ac unit and humidifier. I was thinking about seeing what the conditions are in the tent prior to buying those items.

Anyhoo, that is my setup after doing my reading and watching of videos. I have about a week before purchase if anyone sees me heading towards a clift.

Now, I want seeds that will be good for my space and type of light. I will be actively reading any posts and asking questions, so don’t hesitate to comment.

thx
Rob

11 Likes

Welcome Rob! @Robmin1973

I’m from Massachusetts! Your list looks good. For autos downsize the pots to 3 gallon.

Looks like you might have a duplicate for the exhaust fan in the list?

I will let the other guys talk about the lights with you.

If you start autos start them right off in the 3 gallon pots and dome them with cutoff water or Gatorade bottles or similar. Don’t use starters or Solo cups for autos.

Happy to help you sleep as will be the other guys. You might want to consider a smaller light to use as the gals sprout.

Seeds? Happy to recommend if you have thoughts on what your medicinal needs are?

4 Likes

@Robmin1973. Hola Rob. Welcome.

1 Like

S welcome to the zoo. Lots of good advice here. Read up
…from another Mass resident.

Welcome my friend. Looks like you’ve thought this thru. Any questions youve got Everyone will be happy to help. Happy Growing!!!

ty for the heads up, so i germinate the seeds right in the 3 gallon pot or transfer them into the pot after root pops?

That tent is one with the separate veg and seedling area, or it’s one space that’s about 5’x5’?

The optic lights are pretty good, but that model won’t have the ideal spread to flower out a 5x5 space. If you plan on leaving a good portion of the tent open, you could probably swing it. But you’re talking about bunching them to the middle, or one of the sides. Won’t work very well with light in middle of tent and then plants lined up against the walls, if that makes sense.

1 Like

germinate to tap root in your preferred method and then right into the three gallon pot. Spritz the soil lightly and cover with a clear solo cup or similar. @Robmin1973

i was looking on the beginners page and they have these super skunk seeds that are on sale 10 for $99. I like the giggling at myself while i float through the house doing all my daily tasks lol. You got a recommendation for that?

1 Like

I can handle that. I was thinking the light was a little overwelming for the first couple of weeks. Was thinking about getting a small 40w led for the first couple of weeks, not sure what to do actually.

2 Likes

My idea was buying another light in the future but buying the larger tent on my first push. I like the idea of having two quality lights hanging that crossover creating a larger sweet spot. i like the quality of the secret jardin but didn’t like the 4x4 model. Would an unfilled tent create problems with a grow or would it more just be wasted space. I will take educated suggestions as to how many plants to grow. I was figuring four.

1 Like

I’m sort of a light hack, but @dbrn32 can offer some advice.

I use something like this to start my plants

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CGZG6FY?tag=greenrel-20

It can get really close to the plants without hurting them too. But there are many ways to do them.

Super Skunk are great meds. I just grew Amnesia Haze Autos and they are great daytime meds. I have Blue Dream seeds on deck for my next grow. Blue Dream isn’t an auto though. The BlueBerry Autos get high marks too!

2 Likes

The Secret Jardin tent i was thinking of buying is one open 5x5 space with a scrog, they do have ones with three seperate areas. I was thinking it would be hard to control the temps and humidity in three seperate areas but would consider it if the light woudl work better and produce better results. I want to be able to have a constant flow of plants.

image this is the model they have with the seperate areas.

and this is the one with the open 5x5 area

2 Likes

Wow those are nice tents @Robmin1973 are those on amazon? If so you can post links

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Jardin/b/ref=w_bl_hsx_s_lg_web_8016121011?ie=UTF8&node=8016121011&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Secret+Jardin

link to their products on amazon

Is that a built in scrog? :hushed:

No problem on the tent. I think people are fairly happy with either. The one with multiple spaces would be ideal if you’re looking to grow perpetually. The main reason I was asking is because if it was 5x5 total but had the separate areas that took up some of that space, your flower area would be smaller. In which case that optic light would be fine.

I don’t really feel the need to talk you out of that light, because I feel it is pretty good. But if you’re going with a get by for now and add later there may be some other options. Would you open to some suggestions?

The light that @bob31 posted, fluorescent, or anything similar is ideal for germination and seedlings. The size of what you get should be justified by how many you’re looking to have under it. A 2’ two bulb t5 fluorescent fixture is probably going to be the most common. But there are several other options as well. I use something similar to bob that I built myself using bridgelux led strips.

2 Likes

That is one fancy tent. Already has a trellis and everything. Are those little hangy down things on the ceiling for the lights?

Def the lazy mans tent