Raccoon issues, thoughts?

was just a thought lol
@SmoknGranny
I know they are not timid animals
Isd personally dispatch then if i had to on my property and have done so with other trouble critters
@patch67 i also have a .22 caliber air rifle
They work great and wont draw to much attention lol
Have fun with target practice lol
Live targets good training there

1 Like

@soilman837 Thought you’d like this topic :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ive had a coon as a pet for years. I ran coon hpunds my whole life and im an avid trapper, and i promise you hair wont make any differnce to a coon or your scent. Coons are scared of NOTHING. Ive had a coon chew his foot off to get out of the trap and the next night come bk and get caught in same trap! Ive had them break into my dog kennels, yes coon hound kennels and figure out how to steal dog food with out dogs being able to get to them.
A few things tbat will ALWAYS get a coons attention is molassas, brown sugar, or any sweeteners, FISH MEAL, any kind of oyster or clam shells calcium, and bone meal, blood meal and even compost that has table scraps not finished conposting sometimes too.

3 Likes

Hair from humans and used cat litter and human piss or dog piss or coyote/fox/bear/bigcats piss used for trapping will keep rabbits squirrels rats oppusums away. Skunks are also diggers when they smell stuff used in soil for cannabis.
.223 or 22/250 works good

1 Like

I also have a .22 cal air rifle. 1500fps and its dispatched more then one coon who caused problems. Perfect for shooting with neighbors close by

2 Likes

Coons are tough. I had to create a Fort Knox Henhouse, but haven’t lost a hen since. I’ve resorted to shooting a few when they were running rampant on my hens. Don’t like doing it, but they’d just kill and leave the bodies. Didn’t even eat the hens. That was not acceptable. I’ve seen my dogs tree them, they look down and size up the situation, then climb straight down and go after the dogs. Crazy Fearless Crtters.

4 Likes

I’ve seen a treed coon shot, 30ft fall and still come after a pack of coon hounds full if fight.

Yuppers, fearless little beasts

that happened to me. shot him, fell out of tree, then charged me. I had no time to get another pellet loaded. I had to use my gun as a bat. I finally was able to kill it. longest minute of my life. it was a bloody mess.
then it was time to go home and change my pants,lol

6 Likes

Yeah even a 22mag. They fall and run and fight unless its a perfect head shot. Coons can also fit in a hole half the size of there body and have the ability to learn things fast. Its not uncommon for older coons to dig traps up and flip them and then take the bait.

1 Like

@Familyman420 @patch67 wow guys im loving the coon stories, i cant believe how tough those bastards are! no coons here but i did see a kangaroo sniffing around my weed!

8 Likes

Now tbats just plaun funny,lol

Yeah im thinking a kangaroo might be a bigger problem than racoons lol
Thanks for the laugh @Mickanooch

1 Like

no worries :wink: @Countryboyjvd1971. ive never had troubles with them and weed but dont put your fists up near them because they WILL f#$k you up! no joke lol

4 Likes

Hahahhaa
Ill log that into my memory bank hahaha
If i ever get diwn that way it may come in handy
Yeah the Coons are natural born trouble makers
They have hands so pretty much they can do everything tou can with them
Straps do work on garbage cans cause they take them off
Determined bugger they are haha

Years ago we had a barn with 1 stall converted to pigeon loft and 1 stall was converted for ducks and our pet goose Preacher. Now Preacher was a talker and a half and when she heard me coming in the morning would always greet me with an increased tempo. One morning I approached the barn to the sounds of silence. Preacher had passed away from old age.
Next morning I go to feed the pigeons and the ducks. I knew immediately something was off as the pigeons & ducks were too quiet. Sure enough, I looked into the duck stall to bloody carnage and half the ducks dead. I cleaned up and set up one live trap & added two more before nightfall.
Next morning we’d caught a cat and a possum and the remaining ducks had been massacred. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Third day and fourth day it was the pigeons and nothing in three traps. Oh, I had also put a dog in the barn. On the fifth day we caught a coon & released the last three pigeons.
Moral of the story is to keep a pet goose :grimacing:

PS. I wish I had had one when coons killed my kittens :cat:

Make homemade deer repellent. Spoil milk and raw eggs and cayenne pepper lots :+1::+1: if you want to go and buy the expensive kind just go to homedepot and buy some. About $15-$20. Please do put this near eyes. It burns and smells like cat piss and dog poo hehe

1 Like

I am a trapper and i have a bluetick coon hound. And I’ve had pet coons for years to train puppys to tree with.
I promise dog or cat anything wont fazz a coon. And if u piss a coon off it will remember for ever amd be very meam and spiteful. If u have a pet coon amd it looses trust in someone it may never allow them close again. Now with all that being said. The thing i used most is mace. Yep buy a cheap 10pk of mave for bear and dog self defense. Spray on anything and around were u have the issues. 1 coon will stand and fight a pack of 100lb coon hounds like it aint no shit, and coon can easily move fast, they can flatten there bodys to almost impossible sizes, and learn to do things like dig under traps and flip them to not get caught. Best bet for raccons is a 22LR but mace will help. If u cant find or afford mace. Mace peppers, hot chilli or ghost peppers simmered in cheap cooking oil for fee hours strain and use works good too.
Word of caution wear a respirator or atleast cover nose and mouth. Wear gloves and wear glasses. Trust me. And if u get it on u. COLD MILK IS BEST. soak rags in it and put in freezer ive even held my breath and soaked my whole face eyes mouth nose in a bowl of chilled milk.
At first water will make worse.

1 Like

A 50 cal is more fun to shoot them with there is no mess really there is nothing left of them

3 Likes

Yeah i agree, but i need some skin and fur left to make $…
:wink:

3 Likes