Purpose Built shed 2017

@dbrn32 you’ll like this I figured I would take a peak inside the new LED’s

The cree 3070 version is very nice light and runs on 2 drivers I was more surprised by the full spectrum Roleadro

4 drivers both had same heatsinks and fans The Cree version has room in case to upgrade drivers which claim 88% efficiency

8 Likes

Out of likes, but look like they did a pretty good job of putting them together. 88% efficiency rating pretty solid too for what you’re paying. I’d have to go look to be exactly sure, but forward voltage on the cxa3070 should be around 36-37v on them at that current. So about 50 led Watts per cob, which is about the sweet spot for them as well. Pretty good balance of output and efficiency there.

1 Like

The others look to be pushed quite a bit harder, two drivers per cob? If that’s the case they’re running almost double the output current of the cree fixture and probably around 80-90 led Watts per cob. When you consider it’s probably not anywhere near as efficient as the Cree to begin with, they’re not helping with the high current. But that’s kind of the nature of trying to get Watts per dollar ratio high. Considering that one probably draws twice the wall power of the Cree light, it would be interesting to see how they stacked up in measured light levels.

Looking forward to seeing how they perform though anyway!

1 Like

The cobs on the 4 ballast 1 consist of 66 3w chips per cob Country boy said they are pulling 196w at the wall so both are drawing pretty close to same

1 Like

Thanks for posting the link
Its now on my wish list at the top @Donaldj lol
Between you and Hogmaster my list keeps growing hahahahaha
How much more room do you cover using a light mover versus stationary light brother

That’s what I measured and bob31 came up with 197 so yeah plus or minus 5% depending on supply voltage

1 Like

Depends on light footprint I tend to keep my mover within lights footprint though my space is limited but easily covers my 3’x6’ space only moving my light about 22"-30"

I didn’t scrog this WW so light is set exactly to canopy
My other mover is old chain drive style with set 40" length I had to chop it and resize chain but does same thing runs track in about 5-8min pauses at both ends for over 2 min then starts moving again

8 Likes

Nice so rule of thumb stay with in light foot print :white_check_mark:
Thanks again buddy

lol the WW above has no screen and canopy stayed mostly even during stretch which is what I expect when using a mover since light stays relatively even across canopy rather than having single focal point :wink: I did some pruning right after that picture they look way different now and am running them lower ppm 900-1000 since they seem far more sensitive than my PK

I like what i hearing brother
Once again you’ve inspired me lol
At least im blaming you again when the wife questions the purchase lol

1 Like

All good I’m used to it

1 Like

I’m not trying to contradict what you and @bob31 have found. Just applied ohms law calculations to the drivers. Here is the voltage current relationship on the cxa3070. 35v at 1300ma at 50c

35v x1.33a comes out to about 46.5 Watts. Calculate efficiency, it’s just about 52 watts even per driver. So 104 watts plus whatever the fans draws, probably in the 110-120 watt range on the cree fixture.

The other fixture we really have no idea what what the forward voltage of leds is, other than between 28-36. If you went in the middle for round about at 32v x 1200ma that’s 38.4 Watts. They don’t give efficiency but I’ll figure same as other driver for 88%. So each driver pulls 43 watts and there’s 4 drivers on that model for a total of 172 watts. Given the +/- 3% and adding fans the 197ish Watts you found is right on the money. But that doesn’t explain the Cree fixture pulling anywhere near the same amount right?

Not that any of it really matters, they are what they are. I operate in the Cree datasheets regularly and know those are 36v nominal cobs is all. And with 1400ma being standard 50 watt cobs I thumb eyeballed that two 50ish watt drivers wasn’t going to pull nearly as much as four 40ish watt drivers.

We’ve all been through how the different lights are advertised plenty. But those driver ratings don’t lie, thank god for our sake! You have the output power and the efficiency driver to calculate and it is what it is. If the Cree fixture pulls close to 200 watts that means that forward voltage is much higher than that of a cxa3070.

2 Likes

Actually you aren’t contradicting anyone since I am first to buy this light and took it apart so we could have these discussions the 4 ballast version is only known factor. It also is not the cree version which was drawing 190w the full spectrum Roleadro was light which draws that :wink:
I also don’t expect the Cree version to draw the same the manufacturer didn’t claim a wattage only classed it compared to 400w I think you are taking this all too technically. This is not a DIY build or high end fixture this is a plug and play mid range light which by your own math isn’t over driven (paired well to driver) includes housing heat sinks cobs and reflectors in decent price range for what it is. If they had claimed this to replace a 600w or run it at max drive then it would be safely assumed it is garbage, however it was simply in same classing as 400w full spectrum just better guts. Honestly it is damn bright and I am fine with it being run against a 315w it that the whole theory of LED’s is less power used to get same results as the HID’s honestly rushing to LED defense when companies claim 1 of these is as good as a 400w ? I am putting 2 of these lights against a single light? that is rated in true watts to say it’s unfair contest would simply be an admission LED’s are over hyped when their selling feature is energy savings and lower temps and even the lower temps goes out the window fast if running true watts. LEC is mid range HID and price is about the same as the lights being compared if I put them up against LEP no contest LEP boasts best PAR hands down being the sun in a bottle but runs same price as top end LED’s of same true watts
I won’t dispute you can build a damn fine led light but price and simplicity is a major factor not all can do the math select components and build them. The point is to find cheap easy viable options that anyone reguardless of skill set can plug and play. I am sure I could build my own with top end components but that’s not the point the point is to have light systems cost effective and easily attained by consumers with no skills. I have seen the quantum boards and HLG builds and prices. Those are major investments for people which have enough on their plate just learning to grow which may give up after first grow and for more experienced growers which already understand the plants.
This light verse light test is simple can a grower spend 200-300 and get a decent light without building it rather than the 400-1000 for higher end LED’s ?
Will the plants be as healthy buds as nice and yield close?
@dbrn32 I like you and you do know your LED’s I would have no problem getting you to work up a lights system for my space but my budget and most new growers budgets can differ from a cardboard grow box to a purpose built building. The only question when I posted picture of light components is was it decent for the 180 price if you factor all the time spent sourcing components and materials building your own add in shipping and research? Think of whole thing as someone just dipping their feet for first time forget that I already have enough lights to grow 4x the space I do (I actually do have 4x1000w 2x600w and 4x400w ballasts and bulbs stored) you would be surprised what you collect :wink:

5 Likes

I think you may have misinterpreted what I posted, but no worries. I’m not exactly sure to be honest. You and I had already been through all that stuff and I was perfectly fine where we left it.

When you posted pics I commented wondering about how the Cree light stacked up against the non cree light because there was clearly some differences in driver power. The Cree light has two 50 watt drivers, and the non cree light has four 40 watt drivers correct? @Countryboyjvd1971 commented that he and bob thought they were about the same. So my last comment was strictly clearing up how I came to the conclusion that they appeared to be different.

Didn’t pertain to comparison on diy builds, how they compare to lec, or anything else really for that matter. Sorry about the confusion.

2 Likes

Both bob and i used watt meters when we tested our lights @dbrn32 not that im looking to debate it lol
I also have had mine for some time now maybe they changed drivers or something? Mine are over a year old :wink:

1 Like

One last thing ohms law is accurate so if thats what it comes out to with the new fixtures it is what it is lol
I use ohms law all the time at work👍 @dbrn32
I still feel that for the price you get a decent light
Just my opinion tho

2 Likes

Entirely possible, as are probably a number of other scenarios. Wasn’t my intention either, sorry about that. I was really just wondering if what should be a more efficient led that appeared to be driven softer would stack up against the cheaper led at higher output. In terms of total light output.

1 Like

I concur. As @Donaldj pointed out, cost vs performance should be there on either one. In more simple terms, I was wondering if the Cree fixture provided more light that the non Cree. As the cost difference between the two is a little different.

2 Likes

No reason to be sorry or apologize brother your spot on lol @dbrn32
Hummm good question guess we will have to wait to see some results
Hurry up and get growing @Donaldj we need answers lol

4 Likes

I think we can all agree to that! Haha