Purpose Built shed 2017

I know how it feels brother, I was penny less prospector wandering the woods before I met my wife…
Her grandparents left her pretty large nest, so we put it to work…
Living off grid, no mortgage, not even car payment…
Yes, the vehicles are all decades old and the home is quite rugged, but we live it…
I got lucky…:slight_smile:

11 Likes

I’m also a builder and built my own framed shed 10x12. Sheds fill up quickly, and I often wish it were bigger. Recently built a grow tent in that shed with pvc pipe and free or cheap materials. I have compressors, nail guns, saws, and welders. My grow lights provide some heat, but it’s not hot in winter and I expect too hot in summer. I wish I had added insulation, maybe later between runs. I do think about adding solar panels, which could power a small AC unit, and provide heat, plus power the grow lights and fans. Right now I have power over extension cords from the house. Running water and a utility sink would be nice. Gardening is dirty, and sheet vinyl or a tile floor would be easier to clean. Again, most of my materials are leftovers or ripout from jobs. Consider a WiFi security camera if you have varmints or local teenagers.

2 Likes

Come on crybaby! You just need to move faster, Mr. Lazy A$$!!! :smiling_imp:

LMAO…I can still remember hearing that the first and only time I asked the guy that trained me to hang drywall about a heater that first Winter!!! :joy:

He set one up for our lunch. Lol…

3 Likes

3 walls up 2 to go and that only took me 2 hr’s just stopping for a snack and coffee then back at it @Budlite it’s 10x16 so will take me a few days to fill lmao

Humpin’ right along! But you’re building a divider wall all the way across?

I really shouldn’t smoke this next bowl…:hotsprings:

1 Like

correct building a true divider wall inside that’s next to go then 4 framed walls inside that for 8" thick insulation in my grow area but only need the 2 walls up to start ceiling which will also get 8" min insulation may go to full 12" leaving room for it

1 Like

With your cold temperatures 12" would seem best in the long run.

1 Like

where did I get to?

All my walls are up including starting my double framed walls need to run into town for a few more 10’ 2x4’s always something forgot sill plates on double walls facia boards and need tarp for roof which will be done tomorrow only a hip wall and trusses to go easy enough. Debating doors yet but did frame for them

10 Likes

I may have added a picture from outside but at this point it looks like a big box with a few holes in it needs roof and doors to look like much else

Well 2 doors in frames knobs and remaining 2x4’s another $300 to the cause :frowning: if I keep adding in things going to be sleeping in there lmao about 600 over what me and the misses had discussed. It’s starting to get exciting now since I have a clear picture where my ladies are going to be now will take me a week or more to get space ready for them no big rush will lay out the space build my areas paint basically have everything perfect before they move.

2 Likes

12" is overkill and another $100 I can add extra layer if needed during the winter but unless I need it would only serve to cut further into my new lights budget. Summer is coming and I can still use the styro I have to line ceiling if needed but my house isn’t even insulated that well lmao r-14 walls and r-12 ceiling from what I have seen so far? but likely all r-12 the 6" thick walls hide a secret. They are shiplap and likely the same under the vinyl siding?judging by what I see in my boot room

1 Like

I am so jealous do that’s going to be so nice when you’re done it’s already nice and you’re halfway done just getting it out looks awesome great job man

Actually a major bonus to where I put up this shed is #1 it’s right out the window from where I am sitting rightnow #2 it is behind a steal mesh and electric fence #3 it will be doubling as a dog house for 3 rather large and unpredictable dogs which also live in said fenced area :wink:

I have to insulate it temps in the winter here routinely drop below 30c for weeks at a time and can have 2’ of snow in a night which would be very obvious to anyone if the snow was melted off my roof in 2 days. Since my grow lights are primary source of heat and hoping to lower my power bill some :slight_smile:

3 Likes

12f this morning with flurries on the forecast which means ceiling and roof is high on my priority list. ceiling gives me somewhere to stand while putting in rafters also a place to place plywood sheets if need be since solo on this and roof is over 8’ off ground misses is off work today and wants us to go visit a friend in town later so will grab some insulation on way back

1 Like

Well sun is finally out coffee is done think I better get ready to startbefore misses rolls out of bed

start of day

Yes it is snowing I have to sheet in what’s left on the side and inside divider wall as well as hang doors I have enough enough lumber left for my grow boxes and to sheet some of inside

8 Likes

insulation in truck with a tarp and 15k BTU propane heater too dark now to do anything without setting up some lights and at the point where lots of sheeting to cut and gap filling but little else can’t insulate until tarp is on and doors are easier to hang in the light. Weather is turning winter like again with another snowy week ahead so will have time to finish space once it’s closed in heater will make quick work of drying so I can start on the finishing
will have it sealed up tomorrow put some standard light fixtures in and be ready to insulate

4 Likes

minus 18c windchill this morning will be giving it another couple of hours to warm up before getting started thankful for the heater I picked up yesterday though will make hanging doors and inside work easier. My Dad is actually at my uncles rightnow so will be stopping by tomorrow with my uncle and some panda plastic :wink: to give me a hand and inspect my work lmao. If you are not familiar my Dad has grown for decades and my uncle is still just starting out so will be a meeting of the minds and idea bouncing session which means I will need everything sealed up today and ready to rock

6 Likes

Well heater did the trick all sealed up and insulation started
Just an example of how double framing works it lets you insulate 2 layers preventing thermal bridging and noise transfer through the lumber meaning less heat loss and noise leakage

Entire grow space is done in this fashion I put my radio in and cranked it then did walk around barely heard it though the floor is going to need some insulation too going to finish walls directly around my growing cabinet so I can start building them. I am exactly where I wanted to be by end of the weekend so everything worked out nicely

10 Likes

Warning explicit lirics and metal so if you don’t like new metal don’t play but I am waking myself up so I don’t crash too early

6 Likes