Problem - black spots

Anyone care to take a guess what’s going on here? This is some kind of discoloration I’m seeing on outdoor plants. It’s on the growing tip and doesn’t wipe off or fly away. I’ve obviously removed the few affected tips and removed them from the garden completely.

I use regular neem oil treatment (weekly) and haven’t hd any real mold or mildew problem. Yet. I want to get out ahead of this. We have a few wet days coming up.

Thanks.

that looks like mold… hard to tell bummer :persevere:

3 Likes

I don’ suppose you have a black light around? If it is a mold, it will show up in a yellow to greenish yellow color. Are the spots brown or black? I am doing research(which helps both of us) on your problem.

Thanks, @Tr33. I do not have a black light.

I eradicated all I could find and my plan is to neem oil the crap out of everything this afternoon. I might add some baking soda to the mix. It’ll raise the PH on the surface so mold can’t survive. I can probably get away with that once or twice.

Here’s a better pic. It looks purplish going to black, to my eye. It doesn’t wash off. There’s a little cocoon nearby but I couldn’t get a pic of the occupant before the wind blew him away.

I found a half dozen more bud sites with it, cut them all and threw them away. I hosed the entire area with neem oil - baking soda - dish soap concoction. See what it looks like tomorrow.

It just doesn’t look like mold.

1 Like

Possibly the start of bud rot? That sux sorry

Please keep us informed on what you find out

1 Like

Another thought is it a strain that’s supposed to change color? If you get the right temp at night it will start changing

@Sirsmokes I had that thought, too, but it’s on 3 different strains. I appreciate your interest.

There’s no real treatment for bud rot. Cut out every trace and dispose of it as soon as you can, and attempt to fix the environmental causes. MORE AIR CIRCULATION if possible. Raise temps, reduce humidity to the degree possible. (But you probably know all of this already . . .)

I would defiantly get a better opinion mine was just a guess

Bud rot is fuzzy, at least what I’ve seen. This is more of a discoloration off the leaves. Also, there’s really no bud there. It’s all pistils.

We’ll see what morning brings at sun up.

It certainly could be something else. But I don’t know of anything else, and it does look a bit like bud rot. Compare your first picture to this one:

1 Like

@PhantomFarmer

Here are a couple of pic’s of bud rot and a qujick follow up

1134budrot2

1134Budt-rot1

During the last week or two of flowering, depending on if you use chemical or organics. If you use chemical, you want to flush 1 ½ weeks to 2 weeks before harvest to flush out all of the chemical nutrients that your plant was using. If you are using Organics then you would want to flush about a week before harvest. Giving them plain water is fine, flushing them also improves the overall quality of your bud. Once you start to ‘flush’ you should check extra careful for bud rot. Bud Rot Happens when the humidity is high, if you have fat dense buds, or if mold spores are in the air. Bud rot looks like a black brownish sludge that can quickly take over your plant and ruin your harvest. The mold spores are air-borne.

Prevent and Control

Removing any dead or dying material from the plant helps prevent bud rot so does decreasing humidity and increasing ventilation. There are also safe anti fungal sprays from hydro shops that help. If you do find gray mould, cut off the infected part of the plant well above and below the effected area and remove it from the grow room. Decreasing the humidity from 55% to around 40% will make a big difference in preventing bud mold. Also having very big buds can cause bud rot, and would advise watching the areas on your plant that have the biggest, thickest and the more dense buds. Try to have medium size buds rather than having big thick buds. Having a dehumidify around when high humidity days can help as well.

To protect them against bud rot for outside. DO NOT foliar spary at night, doing this the heat will not evaporate the water as well because it is night.
Water the plants in the day instead of so close to being night. Same as foliar spraying.

Make sure your plants are stress free as possible and checking plants often can aid in getting rid of moldy bud before the spores spread onto other areas of the plant! Have a lot of air going around the plants for bad ventilation= sick plants and a breeding ground for spores!

Keep leaves away from soil making sure they do NOT touch the soil.

Keep cooler temps at night while plants are on there down time.

If you have gotten bud rot already the best thing to do is cut off the bad buds discard them away from you’re grow and apply any of the following: Neem oil, Neem2 which is a ready made solution!
Using high ph water for foliar spray prevents them from spreading as well kills the mold. pythium is another good product to use! There are many other chemicals and organics that work, but these are the most popular and they work very very well!

Fungus

Fungus is another problem when you are in flowering, because they are susceptible to a fungus or bud rot. Growing conditions for fungus are best when temps are between 60 and 80 degrees and the humidity is high. The fungus is very destructive and spreads quickly. These kinds of fungus are air borne and can travel to other bud sites. If you already have been infected by them the best thing you can do is cut off and remove the infected area and then discard out of the grow area, then get a hold of some anti-fungal spray and apply.

Fungi can kill your crop quick, so invest in some SAFE fungicide and spray down the plants as much as you can and as soon as you can. The faster the safer… If you have had problems with fungus before, do NOT spray them you will contribute to the fungus becoming resistant to the spray/chemicals you are using. Try to keep the humidity down to the range fungus do not grow to well in. Keep a good amount of ventilation around your grow, and if you have plants outside, always keep them quarantined away you’re your indoor plants until you know they are safe.

Most fungicides are very nasty and eating them can be very dangerous so its best to use something on them that is safe on plants that you can eat., Safer makes a very safe product that can be found in most stores and hydro shops. it contains only sulfur in solution. Here is a picture of what bud rot looks like when it starts to form.

Control
To control to prevent fungus from forming there are a few things you should do.

DO NOT foliar feed at night, tends to make humidity higher rather than when you water in the day the water has time to evaporate where at night will linger in the air.

Same goes for watering plants at night, wait till the morning or afternoon to water!

Keep a happy plant and will not become prone to infections. Checking plants often can aid in getting rid of any fungus that may attack other leaves and or bud!

Have a lot of air going around the plants for bad ventilation= sick plants and a breeding ground for spores!

Keep leaves away from soil making sure they do NOT touch the soil.

Keep cooler temps at night while plants are on there down time.

If you have already gotten some kind of fungus there are things you can use: neem2, neem oil works wonders!! Potassium Bicarbonate, Baking soda and for other chemical agents you can use Plant Shield, Serenade and pythium! There are many other chemicals and organics that work but these are the most popular and they work very very well!

Wrote By
Stitch
Posted By
Garrigan65

3 Likes