Post Germination Problems

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

Hello, I bought 10 seeds back in July, waited till now to start them due to buying a house and moving. I germinated them 5 at a time in wet paper towels, all seeds germinated so planted them about 3mm deep in Miracle Gro soil in a mini enclosure. After several weeks without the plants breaking the soil I dug up the seeds and found all of them dead. One of them had very small white worm like bugs in the seed. So I germinated 5 more the same way, all germinated then planted them in a different soil but still a starter potting soil. This time one plant did come up. I wonder what I might be doing wrong. I have many decades of experience gardening including pre germinating seeds so was surprised at my failure. I did not heat the mini enclosure but the temp was kept at about 70 to 75 day and night. Any ideas?

Worms?! I’m thinking it had to come from the soil. That’s weird. Also why I don’t buy any of my dirt from nurseries or anywhere out doors! I buy from my hydro store where it is kept in doors all year long. Preventing any bugs from making homes…just my way of thinking…

1 Like

you are welcome to check out my thread and pose any questions and welcome to ILGM

4 Likes

Worms (bugs) are a symptom of over watering. I have 100% success rate for seeds by following @Donaldj @garrigan62.

Don’t repeat the same thing until you have a handle on it.

4 Likes

Not at 100% but I also didn’t germinate prior to planting so likely a factor on my last 2 planted :wink:

2 Likes

@Ozzymomma1,

Welcome to ILGM
if you are talking about worms that are in our soil by nature then that;s a big plus for your plants and you.
The plants LOVE WORM CASTINGS and will follow the worms where ever they go in your soil which means your plants will have akiller root system,

Will

@garrigan62 I’m talking of the bad bugs,mites and worms. I won’t even buy my pots from outdoors or nurseries. I’m not talking about any specific dirt. Ive never heard of seeds getting worms so I was thinking it would be the dirt…:slight_smile: :wink:

@Ozzymomma1

OH i’em very sorry didn’t know it was that bad. But I have just the thing for ya…

I use this and it will kick ass…lol

Tabacco Juice recipe

Take 3 strong ciggeretes or more and soak them with the hottest chili powder you can find or hot sauce over night in water
Boil it for 2 to 3 miniutes, let it cool off and strain using ladies nylons or you won’t be able to spray. Spray and soak the plants 3 to 4 times a week. You can add safer soap or dish if you like to the mixture.
(make absolutly sure you use gloves/face protection while handling and spraying)

Let me know how it go’s

Will

1 Like

Tell ya what, if what I’ve been doing for the Fungus Gnats don’t work soon, I’m hitting them with Neem Oil, and then your advice Doc. Getting sick of them little Bass-Tards!

@Ozzymomma1

I’ll tell ya a little secret about Fungus Gants ( POTATOES )
They are attracted to them. Cut or peel up a potatoe and place on the soil and in the morning you won’t believe your eye’s. replace the potatoe with a fresh one till their gone.
Very simple and very effective.

Will

4 Likes

You sure your not just a potato dealer.

1 Like

These were not earthworms but very small (1 to 2 mm) white wormlike pests. They appear to have been in the seed. I have used this brand (miracle gro) potting soil for many and have not seen this pest. Sometimes get little flies but never these white wormlike critters. But that was only seed out of 10. The biggest issue is why only one plant ended up coming up even though all 10 seeds germinated properly. By the way, the one plant seems to be doing fine. Hope it will not need a mate to produce seeds.

1 Like

Did it look like the one I had in my soil at the beginning of my grow? This guy definitely came in my soil. Wasn’t miracle gro but still I wouldn’t be surprised if your soil had it.

A customer has a follow up question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks.

Strain (type, bag seed): White Widow

Soil in pots, hydroponic, or coco?: Seeds were germinated between damp paper towels. 100% germination. Then planted in potting soil

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?: NA

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: NA

Indoor or outdoor: Indoor

Light system, size?: LED 300W full spectrum, UV & IR

Temps day, night: 70 - 75

Humidity day, night 65%

Ventilation system (yes/no, size): No

AC, humidifier, de-humidifier?: No

Co2 (yes/no): No

Notes: Although 100% of the seeds germinated, only one out of 10 actually then produced a plant. I was very careful to not damage the root when moving to soil. One of the seeds that did not grow had small white worm looking pest in the seed.

I would appreciate any ideas on what may have gone wrong. As I said in the first email, I have many decades of gardening so thought I would do better than this. Open to any and all suggestions. Thanks, Mark

The ones I saw seemed even smaller and were very skinny with pointed ends. Should have taken a pic but didn’t even think of it.

1 Like

Those maggots were fungus gnat larvae that were in the soil and gravitated to some tasty seeds rotting in the wet soil.

Lose the Miracle Grow and use a seed starting medium. The soil in all likelihood burned the seedlings to death.

2 Likes

Thank you, I believe you are correct. I will get some seed starting medium this next go.

2 Likes

I wrote this sometime back. Let me put it up.

Before trying again, let’s do it with a couple of items. A small cup, custard cup or shot glass full of distilled water. Place your seed in it and put the cup somewhere warm and relatively dim. I use the top of my cable box.

Leave the seed soaking until a visible taproot is showing (24 to 72 hours) before planting.

Plant into a dedicated planter medium like rock wool, peat pellets, or seed starter soil. Whatever you use must be free of nutrients. Plant the seed a fingernail depth and cover. For the first watering, apply 1 teaspoon of water and cover with a clear dome. This can be a baggie, a cut off water bottle or something else.

Place under your light and set it per the manufacturer’s instructions. I’m an led guy and I use one 300/150 watt at about 20" . If your area isn’t between 70° and 80° F I would suggest adding a warming mat under the seedling.

Purchase a spray bottle, fill with distilled water and mist lightly 2 or 3 times per day.

2 Likes

Tried potatoes a number of times. One source said to replace every four days, another every other day. What seems to have nipped the in “the bud” is a layer of hermit crap sand, and a layer of Gnatnix
(crushed glass) on top of that. Lastly I bought some Gnatrol, and microbe that kills gnat larvae when they eat it. You soak the top two inches every five days for up to 20 days. I have used twice for 8 days, and have not seen anymore. You can get sticky yellow cards to monitor the infestation.
My local greenhouse “guy” told me to stir up the soil, and that should do it. Also, that Fungus Gnats don’t eat the leaves, so looking for another pest that is doing that in a small degree.
My two oldest have never completely recovered from the cinnamon oil spray, and the ground cinnamon on the soil. Here’s pix from 12/29/17. Two are the oldest (started in September), the other three were replacements for non-germinating seeds, and the little one is a branch clone.
Only clone of seven that made it.

I am really hoping the larger ones recover so I can get them into fruiting mode by April '18.
After the gnat apocalypse, I will flush and feed.

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m new to this page and I don’t know where to go for help. I have two plants going now and I’m curious as to what is going on with my biggest plant.

1 Like