Planning on another led light

Stop bragging about your light we all know you won the bud of the month contest multiple times useing them @Hogmaster :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Hahahaha just joking brother
I will say this you have grown some good bud with those lights if I wasn’t all stocked up on light I would consider them for sure :+1:

3 Likes

@Niala @Rugar89 I’m replying to a video that latewood posted on LED lights. This thread discussion is similar to the ongoing discussion we have been having so I thought you guys might be interested

Here is the link to the video as well

3 Likes

Hey SI1,

I understand how expensive the really good LED lamp systems are. I have been against spending the money for a long time. However; After veing on a podcast with Spectrum King, and BlackDog LED respectively; I am now convinced of the science and the reasoning behind using the expensive systems. :slight_smile:
On the other hand, I am with you Sister! I am still using my digital HID lamps, and I am still super happy with them.

I did buy a couple cheap Mars Hydro lamps and I did use one as a side light last grow, and I do believe it added quality to the grow.

God thread all! :smiley: lw

2 Likes

Saying that cree and citizen cob is the best investment in led is very very opinionated!

While cree and citizen are very well built and have some great applications for horticulture, your statement isn’t exactly the whole truth. There are several manufacturers offering mid power leds that are more efficient and cheaper to build than the current cree or citizen technology. In fact, you can’t even say that cree and citizen are the best cob technology without mentioning bridgelux. Each manufacturer has their high points, and low. Cree may very well be the best cob out there, but from return on investment it’s probably the worst. Citizen and bridgelux are almost half the price, and provide similar performance. Especially when driven at slightly higher current.

There’s way to much to consider for each individual grower to say that any of them are the best. The cree cob kicks butt at really low current, and still doesn’t match the lumen per watt output of the top bin Samsung chips. The efficiency of the cree kinda falls flat on its face over 1400ma, and it’s way more expensive than pretty much all of its competitors. There is still a place for them, but they are hardly the best investment out there.

The led technology changes so much that it’s really hard to keep up with. The days of needing to shell out a ton of cash to get something good, or be an electrical engineer to design a system are long gone. New growers are matching cob yeilds with a handful of $7-$14 bridgelux eb strips, no heatsinks, and drivers from eBay. Granted, these builds aren’t for everyone, but neither is building cob fixtures.

6 Likes

Show me the comparison that proves you iodea that you do not need heat sinks. If you really knew what you were talking about, you would know that LED lamps lose efficiency when hot, so heat sinks are absolutely necessary, and unless you show evidence of anything different; I call B#$**%^t. It is still a definite, you get what you pay for, despite your thoughts.

We just did a webcast with Spectrum King and black Dog LED and some of what you are claiming has been dispelled in the new technology. Now it is all about LST, UV spectrums, and blue white light. Lumens does not enter into the equation at all, really Peace

Happy growing.

2 Likes

No problem Mr smarty pants. Here is screenshot directly from a manufacturer data sheet. Not someone who builds outdated lights, THE MANUFACTURER. I’ll even blow it up real big for you. So it’s absolutely not necessary to heatsink every led. Black dog and spectrum king may have to use heatsink with their outdated doides, but then again, they are far from industry leaders.

I’m plenty aware of how led’s work, are you? When a manufacturer says it will perform at a certain level, at a given temp, and doesn’t need a heatsink, I will take that over someone who is trying to profit from 2-3 year old technology in a heartbeat! It’s called being able to read a data sheet.

The mid power packages offered from the manufacturers I cited are all white lights. What did you think I was talking about? Lol. And what exactly is a blue-white light, a white light heavy in the blue spectrum? Been around for a while, nothing new. They have their purpose, but are definitely not the end all be all in led tech. All of the led’s I mentioned produce some level of blue and red.

If you think efficacy doesn’t play into the equation of modern grow lights, you really are out of touch. And despite your well respected admin status on this forum, you should not be giving advice on or designing lights. Efficacy is everything! Granted, in the correct spectrum. But anyone that’s popped a seed knows that. So maybe take another 9 days, and ask someone that’s actually involved with the latest led technology, and come back with a more clever attempt to discredit my comment?

@latewood a was a little put off and forgot to agree with you on one main point, you get what you pay for is right!

That’s pretty much exactly what my original post was about. Samsung, bridgelux, and citizen are all big names and major players in the led industry. So it’s really hard to say that one is any more or less quality than the other.

That being said, their performance is straight up listed on their data sheets. Unless one of them gets jammed up for falsifying their data sheets, I’ll stick with them. Plenty of high quality light manufacturers test these products in their fixtures, and I’ve yet to see any complaints about any of them meeting manufacturer specs.

Saying you get what you pay for in this context means you’re paying more and getting less. Unless you’re talking about the majority of the citizen chips. A lot of them are the cheapest of the bunch. So that makes them no good now, when they were 1 of the only 2 worth buying earlier? Fairly large contradiction there.

Either way, simply asking me to explain stuff that was beyond your knowledge would’ve worked.

All I can say is “Damn”

1 Like

This no proof. It appears to be marketing info. All Companies can show graphs and light spectrum images and claim whatever. I want to see a grower or group that collaborated on real results and tests.

Saying Spectrum King outdated shows you really are not in touch with what is going on other than data you can provide. NO offense. :slight_smile: It is east to copy/paste. I know real people doing real comparisons and coming up with real life data.

3 Likes

Ya, stepped on the big guys toes, sorry about that. In order to keep this informative, here is 400 watts of bridgelux eb strips mounted on angle stock. Growing.

My apologies to the members and staff, I took offense to something I probably shouldn’t have. It wasn’t my intention to discredit any information provided by others. My only intentions are to share and be of help when I can, and learn as much or more from others.

3 Likes