Planning on another led light

I already have a 300w, and a 450w meizhi in my 4x4x8 tent. I wanna add another light. Will another 450w be good or should I go with a 600w off brand? What’s another good light to get? Preferably not over $150

2 Likes

another 450w would be awesome! i have heard really great things about meizhi lights @Thetattedmann

5 Likes

I keep harping on this. I would go with 1,000 watts if possible and consider adding another 2 each 1,000 watt for the space you have. I have 3 each 1,000 and 2 each 300 in a 4 X 6 X 6 and it’s marginal.

2 Likes

This is not what the member asked. Myfriendis410,
He asked if he should pair his lamp with the same, or add a slightly or e powerful lamp. He did not ask for you to design a 3000 watt light system for him. Please stay within the realm of the question asked.

Thanks, :slight_smile: lw - IL:GM Admin

1 Like

Apologies, but I’m trying to suggest that more is better in this instance. Particularly with how deceptive led’s are marketed. One more led that’s 1,000 watt can be had for around that price range and eventually more can be added as needed. And his last sentence did throw it open for discussion or so I thought. If I’m out of line please delete my post.

He was referring to a light brand, not asking about 1000w LED, which I might add; If you actually can get a legit 1000w LED; It is going to be a piece of crap and will only last until the cheap heat sink fails. It will work until it does not.

The best investment in LED lamps out there are Cob LED. Made by Cree, or Citizen.

4 Likes

@latewood @Myfriendis410 I was asking about all but wanted to stay away from the 1000w cheap ones for the reason latewood said. But I was also thinking the the 300 meizihi r only 70 bucks and the 450 is 130 so I could essentially get 2 300w for 140 and have 600 equivalent watts for an extra 10 bucks! But then again the 450w have the flower and veg switches! But I’m also planning on buying another 4x4 tent… decisions decisions…

3 Likes

@Thetattedmann man adding extra lights is always good… just check the true wattage for each choice whether that’s 1 x 600 or 1 x 450 or 2 x 300wt and just go with what you can afford now that gives you the most TRUE WATTAGE for your money :slight_smile: 35-50 true watt of power per square foot is the ideal range from what i have learnt :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’m right with you on making these decisions, I am adding a flowering tent and am working through a similar decision, but going with Meihzi because I’ve read so many good things here with respect to their job at flowering. Would love to know what you decide. FWIW I run 2 300W Mars Hydro and am really happy with the results in a 4 x 2 space with each lamp dedicated to a plant.

Do the 300s have the flowering switch? That may be a deciding factor if it were me.

@latewood I looked into a COB made by Heliospectra - that’s waaaaay down the line for me, if ever $$$$$$ :sunglasses:

1 Like

The 300 watt Meizhi I have do not have a veg/flower switch. Good luck with your lighting choice. I will no longer be offering any opinions on lighting as it’s apparently unqualified. The very last thing I want to do is annoy the people on here. Sorry.

I’ve got two 1K LED’s in each tent. I have three 2 x 4’s and two 3 x 3’s. My yields are amazing for what little work and money I put into each grow. The only problem I have is being stoned so much I forget to check the tents.

4 Likes

@oldgoat that’s a problem we are all happy to have fella :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

FYI. In order to teach about them; I have Mars Hydro 300. Nice little lamp. Unfortunately; It is only 140watts. Mars 300 is an item or model number not the true wattage. Again, for the price and the fact that you can buy several; It is a decewnt cheap option for grow tents.

300 meizihi - It looks like it is actually 300 watts looks like 60 x 5w so I think the math works out. However; Final actuall wattage is determined by the size of the driver, and 5w per bulb might be an illusion. We have to do more research on this model.

Spectrum King is a highly respected COB LED company, and you can see them on the podcast we do thursday nights. Episode 38 Spectrum King owners were on the show and shared a ton of information about coB LED and other types of LED systems.

If you love LED. Watch this show. Best info you can get,

FYI. Dumma and I sell COB LED lamp systems with custom frames to fit your grow area. We are approx. 100 bucks cheaper than competitiors using Citizen or Cree lamps.

Later

6 Likes

@Thetattedmann

Welcome to ILGM

This is what you need and there is nothing smaller or less expensive. I personally own both these items, and I love both. The light rail will allow you to have better coverage overall to your plants. Keep in mind; PLants do not need intense light every minute iof the day. This is a perfect solution for an 8′ room. If you had a smaller room; I would recommend the 4′ light track. Happy growing, Peace lw
Last note. You can always add the 150 hps lamps as side light once your canopy fills your space, and it will!!!

BY Latewood
posted by
garrigan62

Thanks for the lesson :nerd_face:, I will try to catch that podcast

Probably more than you want to know but here goes.

Wattage is NOT a measurement of light output. It is a measurement of electrical draw. Meaning it’s how much electricity (think electric bill) a light is using.

That is until LED’s came along. What a “1000 watt” LED means is that it puts out the EQUIVALENT amount of light that a standard bulb system does, when the standard system “draws” 1000 watts from the power source. And it does so by pulling “real wattage” of about half or less.

You can test it yourself by putting a light meter under each kind with the equivalent “name” of the light. 1000w or whatever. You’ll get nearly the same amount of light, but the LED light will only draw around half that much from the power source. I prefer to use Lumens when I decide how much “output” a light has.

And actually one of the biggest selling points of the LED’s is that they don’t use as much electricity and don’t get nearly as hot when they put out the same amount of light. AND they are making improvements that are going to result in even less power usage.

A safety note: If you use LED lights, it is very important that you protect your eyes whenever you can see the light. Get some “LED” proof glasses to keep from causing damage when you work around your plants.

1 Like

I own the meizhi leds 3-300 watt and the 600 watt I flip both switches on whole grow since the 300s don’t have the switch they don’t need it I’ve had 100% success rate with both switches on from start to finish I hope that helps

3 Likes

5 Likes

@hogmaster getting himself ready for august bud of the month nice and early looking good dude

Looking nice and fat there, bro! :nerd_face: