Phosphorous deficiency

A soil that have already nutrients in it, the NPK % should be bellow 1-1-1, for example, NPK is for Nitrogen Phosphorus Potassium

Purple stems generally are caused by either a phosphorus (P) deficiency, a magnesium (Mg) deficiency or it’s the strain.

The pH chart shows that those are available for soil at 6.5, if you’re ph’ing to 6.0 that’s a little low.

1 Like

no nutrients in soil or potting soil. just some cheap stuff I got at home depot. would it be alright if I showed you one more thing, I have a real small plant and ill put it next to the next smallest and see if there is a problem.

1 Like

So like @kabongster say and I most probably your problem is a pH too low, aim for 6.5 , you should check the pH runoff too (runoff is the water that is come from bellow your pot) It should be between 6.3 and 6.5, idealy 6.5 .

And yes, you can show :grinning:

1 Like

thanks that’s what I thought after looking at the chart, which is really helpful and worrisome at the same time. I have phosphorous and cal-mag on the way.

1 Like

lol, you all type so quickly, left me in the dust…thanks @Niala

1 Like

those are common for deficiencies, start at a half recommended dosage of the cal mag and watch for improvement…it’s easy to add more next feeding and each plant reacts differently, best to start any nutrient or supplement at lighter doses.

1 Like

ill check the run off ph am watering now I had a bad thing a couple of weeks ago when I didn’t have a liquid ph meter and put 5.5 ph nutes I have corrected that and flushed right after it happened. the last run off I had I think was 6.2. here are the pics

I don’t have a great camera but I thought with the zoom here it would be ok.

thanks and im growing ww fems

And by the way, I am pretty sure that WW can have little purple in their stem by genetic too, so, after looking at your pictures, if it’s the only thing that your plant is presenting , the deficiency is most probably low, and their is not too much worry to have other than fixing the pH…

And for your last pictures, they seem to look great, even after your little accident :wink:, they do not seem to have suffer :grinning:Keep the good work, are you using the Flower power nutrients for them too ?

2 Likes

All soil as nutrients in them, if you still have the bag, check the fine print in the back :wink:

those are the two smallest I have nine growing and I started 5 then a week or so later 5 more one died after it just pop out. I have a grow journal going with pics once a week. if you are interested. I know I have made some mistakes and am constantly changing things like lighting and arrangement of pots, im trying to catch up the smaller ones to the bigger ones so I can go 12 12 all at once. I am not good at this I think and the more I read the more I worry. but next grow I will have a grow tent and maybe leds and fans I don’t worry about the smell so I don’t think ill have an exhaust but still reading and there is still time. thanks again

2 Likes

Do you have any fans at all blowing air onto them? If not their stems will not strengthen up at all and once they get big and fat the stems will break or bend under their own weight.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the purple stems, its often a genetic trait that they grow out of. @Niala and @kabongster have hooked you up with some quality info anyway :smile:

1 Like

It seem like a good plan (all 12/12) I will pass by to say hello and follow your grow journal , @fwn54, :wink:

I have a grow journal too and you’re welcome to pass by

You’ll see that your not the only one who went through some issues :wink:

~Al :v: :innocent:

P.s. You can clic on my avatar, my card will pop up, clic again on the avatar and you’ll be redirect too my main page…

Thanks @BondPacker, it’s true, a fan will help too by strenghen the stems…

i have a fan and I let it circulate the air but late at night I turn it off and close the door, im growing in a closet

im at 18-6 still I am waiting for the smaller ones to get bigger. I had 2 bag seed plants that are two weeks ahead of the wws and I put them outside today just to see the effect of the 12-12.

If there is no pic than there is nothing to go on now is there ? Got a pic ?

will

Go to tread #6 @garrigan62 :wink:

Nitrogen Deficiency

Now for having too much nitrogen in your growing mediums or soil. The plant will have like an overall DARK green look and have delayed maturity. Due to Nitrogen being involved in vegetative growth, to much nitrogen will result in tall plants with weak stems. New growth will be very lively and plant transpiration will be high, but not always. Nitrogen toxicity can be seen when there are very very dry conditions almost as if there was a drought, which may show a burning effect. If you give your plants ammonium based nutrients they may show NH4+ toxicity, which will show a smaller plant growth and lesions that occur on stems and roots, leaf margins that will roll downward. Also the big fan leaves will have “the claw” look. The tips will point down but the leaves will stay up as if when you bend your fingers downwards. Leaves can be twisted when growing… mainly new growths. Roots will be under developed along with the slowing of flowering. Yields will be decreased, because to much nitrogen in early stages of flowering slows down bud growth. Water uptake is slowing down from the vascular breakdown of the plants as well. Too much potassium and nitrogen will lock out calcium as well.

Problems with Nitrogen being locked out by PH troubles.
Waterlogged soil and Soil with low organic matter.

Nitrogen is a very important element in the plant, all of them are but some are more important than others. For soil the best ph to have is 6.8. Why? Because at 6.8, that’s the best number for ALL available nutrients to be absorbed into the plant without any of them being locked out. For hydro and soil less mediums best ph to have is around 5.8.
Try not to keep your plants to cold, because the cold temps will cause the nitrogen harder for the plant to be absorbed.

PH levels for Nitrogen:

Soil levels
Nitrogen gets locked out of soil growing at ph levels of 4.0- 5.5.
Nitrogen is absorbed best in soil at a ph level of 6.0-8.0. ( wouldn’t recommend having a ph of over 7.0 in soil) best range to have nitrogen is a ph of 6-7. Anything out of that range will contribute to a nitrogen def.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums
Nitrogen gets locked out of Hydro, Soil less mediums at the levels of 4.5-5.0.
Nitrogen has the best absorption rate at a ph of 5.5 to 8.0
(Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range to have Nitrogen is: 5.0-7.0. Anything out of that range will contribute to a nitrogen def.

Solution to fixing a Nitrogen deficiency

Avoid excessive ammonium nitrogen, which can interfere with other nutrients. Too much N delays flowering. Plants should be allowed to become N-deficient late in flowering for best flavor.
A goof solid N-P-K ratio will fix any nitrogen deficiency. Any chemical or organic fertilizers that have Nitrogen in them will fix a nitrogen deficiency., Peters all purpose plant food 20-20-20 is good, Miracle grow All purpose plant food, Miracle grow Tomato plant food, (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients, or it will cause nutrient burn!) as well and blood meal! If you need to give your plants a quick solution to nitrogen and you want to use blood meal, I suggest making it into a tea for faster use, where blood meal is slow acting, but when made into a tea it works quicker! Other sources of nitrogen are dried blood, Cotton seed meal which is slow acting, Insect eating bat guano which is fast acting. Bone meal which is a gradual absorption when not made into a tea.( also excellent source of phosphorus). Fish Meal Or Fish Emulsion is a good source of nitrogen and is medium acting. Worm castings, which is gradual absorption. Seabird guano, All purpose Millennia Seabird guano, Orginal Seabird guano All Purpose, Crabshell ,which is slow absorption. Fox Farm Grow Big, which is fast acting. ( can bring down your ph as well)
Here are a list of things that help fix a Nitrogen Deficiency:

1 Like