Outdoor Desert Grow

Ok sorry @garrigan62
I am rackin my head on the math
I am using Kellogg brand organic soil as my base soil , it comes in 3 cu ft bags. Last year I used happy frog 2 cu ft bag. So if I do the 8 bag recipe I should use 6 - 3 cu ft bags then right?
I want to make sure I get the mix ratio perfect as I am hoping to use very little in the way of supplemental nutrients to really get the plants through the entire growth cycle on just the soil alone.
Thanks again Will I appreciate it.

So I figured out my super soil recipe this is what I used:
6 - 3 cu ft bags of Kellogg organic raised bed soil
40 - lbs worm castings
5 - lbs fishbone meal
5 - lbs sea bird guano
5 - lbs blood meal
3 - lbs kelp meal
3 - lbs rock phosphate
1 - cup oyster shell
1/2 - cup elemite
3/4 - cup epsom salt
2 - tbs humic acid

1 Like

this is what subcools recipe calls for but I tweaked it.
How do we feel about the ingredient list? Good?
Any and all comments welcome😊

1 Like

All mixed and baking under a tarp

4 Likes

Hey @garrigan62 , thanks again for all the help and guidance on the soil
I think this is gonna be a good mix maybe a little nuts with the sea bird guanno and kelp meal but I hope the girls like it
And cannot thank you enough for your time​:+1:t3::+1:t3:

Ooo adding ChemDawg and Agent orange to the list of strains on this grow too😁

That’s awesome! Hope it works out for you!

Updates on the outdoor space

4 Likes

7 Likes

@Growit I am ready for mine as soon as you finish yours. Dang that is so nice! I like the 1st pic. with the sky flare. I do not build, I have learned from experience that what I see in my minds eye is not what the end result is, nor ever will be. :woman_farmer:t4:

3 Likes

Thanks! Sorry for late reply been slammed.
There are somethings I may like to change as far as the overhead structure if you could call it that. I just got some 1” conduit and strung it accross it is only there to support the pvc pipe for the misting system. Anyway it is comin along pretty well. More pics and updates comin. Gotta go!

4 Likes

Awesome. Can’t wait to see it in action!

1 Like

so this is the direction I am going.
Made my very first batch of worm casting tea with kelp meal very cool. Have a neat aeration set up. An airpump pushin 793gph
3-5 gallon buckets. One has a ball shaped air stone the other two have 4” disc stones.
Bucket #1- cal mag + (General hydro)
Bucket #2- guano tea ( the guano co)
Bucket #3- buddah grow ( Aurora/Roots)
Fed one of my super skunks some worm casting/kelp meal tea that I brewed and she seems to really like it.

6 Likes

@Growit Okay enough already! Must you keep making me want one in the worse way! Oh so very nice, I’m movin’ in! :woman_farmer:t4:

1 Like

You are really taking the time to get this right @Growit. Looks and sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Right on @mulegal
All of this is pretty new to me. Old dude I met in vegas here has a nice li healthy garden and I was asking him how he kept everything so happy and healthy so he took me round the side of his place and he said here is thier “tea” it was a bucket with a bubbler in it. Pretty cool. So I thought I would start experimenting with it. So far one of my skunks and some of my garden plants got the kelp/worm tea and really seem to love it so think I am on the right track so far.

2 Likes

Door is always open for you @highcountrygal
The space is coming along well I think and got most of my seeds are already sprouted pics coming soon. Checked my super soil mix and it seems to be comin along nicely. It no longer stinks like poop but smells crisp and earthy!
I will have all the girls out there and transplanted at the end of the month. Updates and pics coming soon!!

3 Likes

@Growit wow this will be like growing my own! I am so excited to see it in full swing. I was thinking have you thought about scented vines like jasmine, honeysuckle? they might help with the smell issue. I have scented stuff all over gardenias, lavenders, jasmine sambac, night blooming jasmine, and can really scent up a yard.

I have several different lavenders sprouting throug out the garden but I was looking at some Jasmin climbers for the fence or something else that is fragrant the local nursery has a few varieties I also have a full veggie garden bed next to the site plus I built the bed on the site too but do not think the veggies are gonna help with smell so lookin at a few options.
I have alot of stuff growing to help repell non beneficial bugs but have not given as much thought to the smell issue but I need to figure it out soon cause before we know its gonna be that time!
I am gonna see whats available locally here and update and thanks again

3 Likes

I think everything you are growing , I can grow here in vegas
Vegas may be a bit dryer but I have the misters and shade cloth so may be a good spot for some of those to grow well

1 Like