Old grower, new to here, first experiment with growing autos. It

Good afternoon from Kentucky. I thought I’d post these up and get to know the nice folks here. I helped my uncles with their crop the first time 29 years ago and have been growing continually outdoors since then. I have ZERO experience with autoflowering genetics, however.
First, I’d like to thank Robert and Team ILGM for the timely delivery of some very viable seeds. I popped 29 of 30 within 24 hours of them hitting the water. That’s the best ratio I’ve ever had from purchased seed. I’m interested in crossing some of our local genetics with autos from the homegrown strains we’re famous for in the area. Growers worldwide are familiar with our local Ballard County homegrown. I’ve chosen Northern Lights and Blueberry because of success with photo plants in those genetic lines in the past. The Amnesia Haze will be a new one for me. We sampled some last summer and it had excellent results fighting the pain of fybromyalgia. Thanks in advance for any kind words and advice that might be offered as we take this little ride together. The babies are 1-2" high at the moment and were started from seed 5 days ago. Happy growing.

14 Likes

Welcome aboard there are a great bunch of folks here, they will help you, I dont grow auto’s or should I say I like Indica and better sativa’s lol

1 Like

Keep us in the loop. We all enjoy each other’s experiences. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Welcome here and hello from NorCal to Kentucky…
You will have a lot of fun with experimenting with autoflowers…
Iam growing White widows autos and Fast & Vast autos, started them in greenhouse and now they are outdoor…
I like the White widows so far very much…

Happy growing !

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Some of the first bud I smoked came from Kentucky back in the mid 80s. I’m not sure what strain it was, but it was called “Kentucky Baby Bud” around here.

Fantastic little balls of pleasure around 1" in diameter! A hint of citrus skunk with a great social stone. I would love to know what it was so I could grow my own! :wink:

I’m not sure what your question is on the autos. They grow like the rest, just on an accelerated schedule.

The ones I have grown, Blueberry being one of them, seem to start transitioning to flower between 4 and 6 weeks from sprouting.

There is an Auto experiment topic going on right now by garrigan62 that would interest you, I’m sure.

I’m finding that mine don’t care much for full Sun all day with our heat. Plus our humidity has been unusually low this year which may be contributing to the heat stress one of mine is displaying.

It seems like the one that gets the full Sun, along with a 1000w HPS streetlight at night about 30’ away, is finishing much faster than one under shade with a proper dark cycle.

I have two more that only get full Sun until around 4 now with an hour of shade at the Sun’s zenith. They seem to like that schedule so far.

Again, I’m not sure what information you’re looking for, but I hope I’ve helped a little.

Alot of posts already, but that’s the auto experiment…

3 Likes

Just planted a blueberry auto in my dwc last night. My first auto/hydrogrow/real grow in general lol. It’ll be cool to see how yours do outdoors compared to my indoors(: keep me in the loop. maybe we can share pictures :wink: lol

1 Like

Oh ya n hello Kentucky from mass :wink:

1 Like

I don’t suppose I have any questions yet. Right now I’m treating them as I would any seedlings starting out. Airy medium, no nutes, and all the Kentucky spring sunshine they can gather. I’ve considered putting them under a light at night to promote a little extra growth, though I haven’t yet. I’ve been curious about the autos for a long time. I live in a very rural area. When I say VERY rural, I mean our entire county doesn’t have a traffic light, unless you count the blinking 4-way stop by the courthouse. LOL. We have hundreds of acres of remote public land. It is either too difficult terrain for most people to want to go there, or it is too snake infested in summer by copperheads and rattlesnakes for people to want to hike there. Those factors work in a growers favor if you’re a good woodsman. I was raised in these hills and know every foot of them by heart. I see the autos as a potential to have as many as three crops annually with much lower potential of being found. Photo strains here can get huge. If they are late finishers they stick out badly when the leaves come off the trees in late fall. I started the post as a safeguard for myself in case I make a bad mistake later on. If everything goes good maybe some rookies can glean some I formation out of it. Thanks guys. And I’m a huge Red Sox fan Tonyb! They need to get the bats going. GO SOX!!!

6 Likes

Lol not much of a baseball fan… But daammnn did the cletics make d-wade look old knocking him out of the first round of the playoffs. I work right out side of Boston so I definitely hear about the Sox though lol. I know they won Friday. Went to work Saturday n asked ppl if they knew the final score for the game (Celts) n I just kept getting the final for the Sox >.<

1 Like

Sounds like Eastern Kentucky. I’ve been on I-75 through there and it looked like my kind of countryside. If I could only move that land down here! :wink:

The mid season harvest is why I wanted the autos too. I have a light for indoor, but I’m rather fond of growing where the plants belong.

If you think I can ever help, just tag me by placing the @ before my name without a space. I’ll respond quicker that way if I can help. Often another will respond sooner with a good response. I tend to not respond if I can’t add anything else.

Enjoy this wonderful community…

1 Like

@FloridaSon. Appreciate that brother. I live west of there along the Ohio River. Black dirt and huge natural cane thickets along the creeks. 60 foot sheer cliff sandstone bluffs with little creek valleys in between. Where the valleys get sunshine they grow a bamboo type cane that’s 15-20 feet tall. It’s heaven to garden in. Just keep their feet from being too wet and the creek bank does the rest.

3 Likes

@Touretteboy and @Tonyb I will add you both to journal on Auto Flowering plants

will

2 Likes

Hey bud welcome to ilgm. I grew up across the river and west a bit of the big city. Been in MA since the mid 80s but I miss the area. I used to do a fair amount of running around in nky in my teens. I’m glad to hear there are still one blinking light counties in this country. Maybe one day I will land in one again!

My brother lived in KY for awhile in Taylor Mill. Sounds like the area you described though they had a full stop light I believe.

My cuz lives in ft thomas

1 Like

Was born in upstate NY, my town didn’t have any lights lol
N @garrigan62 ty man :smile:

1 Like

I was born and raised in the Ithaca NY area

2 Likes

I got some extended family out there. I was born more north massena, grew up is parishville though

2 Likes

I was born in Lexington Mass, but grew up In Norwell Mass.

Will

3 Likes

Work moved me to mass bout a yr n a half ago, living out in attleboro

1 Like

Welcome @kentuckylucky I just purchased that seed mix from ILGM so I’ll be following your Grow, feel free to tag me :nerd_face:

1 Like

@Touretteboy another Ithaca native here! I was born and raised in Ithaca but Moved to the Hudson Valley when I was 11. Left NY 11 years ago, now in MA 9 years by way of VT

1 Like