Nutrient burn on new transplants

Just a quick update.

I figured out the cause of the problem; the potting soil that I bought is from the same company that I buy my seedling mix from.
This new mix is called “Professional Potting Mix”
from Culterra.
I usually buy their outdoor potting mix which contains larger bark chips.
So this time around I asked the owner of the plant centre for a finer mix. She suggested that I try the “Professional” -type. Unbeknownst to us this mix contains slow release fertilizers. So when I added my own compost to this mix, I accidentally overloaded the soil and made it very “hot”.
Thusly, three days or so later the soil started releasing it’s own fertilizers and everything went to hell.

I have re-potted nd rebagged them with the old outdoor mix and they seem to be recovering.

I just want to thank you guys for the quick replies and awesome feedback :relaxed:.
As a new grower, I really started panicking - especially at the fast rate that things were going wrong.

I did get hold of a ph and tds meter so I am feeling way more confident.

1 Like

Glad you got a hold of the meters they will help tou understand what going on in the pots and im happy you they seem to be recovering
Also you can definitely flush your soil if needed
It might be a goid idea to di a slurry test on soil before you pot anything else in it to get a base lune reading ? Just a thought

Keep us posted @WhiteMamba

Just a quick update. After repotting into a much milder soil that I mixed up, they seem to be happy again.
They are showing new growth and they look stunning again.

Once again, thank you guys so much…

2 Likes