Mystery layer in my Oil

I’m trying to make oil and this is my second attempt and I’m noticing a layer that I didn’t see the first time. So the picture speaks for itself. Is this layer something I should keep or should I filter it out.
What is it?

@TheDuke @Majiktoker @Donaldj @peachfuzz @garrigan62 @bob31 @ktreez420 @NTMAREMACH @Nug-bug @Countryboyjvd1971

4 Likes

Is the color accurate? Looks White-ish? @MAXHeadRoom

I don’t know what it is, but if you want to work through the process you followed maybe we can figure it out?

2 Likes

Yes the color is right. It is off white. Could it be the empty trichome sacks. I’m trying to get a sample to look under the microscope but its difficult. @bob31

I would think those would just dissolve under the alcohol. or maybe they are still breaking down? @MAXHeadRoom

I would see if it dissolves if not filter it out

1 Like

The more I shake it the bigger the layer gets. This is the trim from my harvest so I threw it all in there. I cooked it for 2 hours at 240 degrees first.
@Majiktoker @bob31
I can’t really see anything under the microscope

Then yes id filter it buddy

So whatever it is, it’s no good, waste. The oil will be in the alcohol

Safe to say if its a film yes

1 Like

Ok, Thanks, Didn’t want to throw away something that was good.
@Majiktoker @bob31

1 Like

My pleasure buddy, gotta get back to work

Happy growings my friend

1 Like

How long does your recipe call for to keep the trim in the alcohol? @MAXHeadRoom

I let this set for 24 hours, shaking it periodically. The first time I just shook it for 15 min. It was the lower buds that I took off @bob31

what can you strain it with? A coffee filter?

1 Like

I have a fine mesh filter that gets the big stuff, then I filter it through 2 coffee filters. Then evaporate the alcohol off
@bob31

That should be fine. Then you can examine the “film” a little more closely. What kind of alcohol are you using?

I think the same as you @bob31 Isopropyl 99.9%

Heres some pictures. Looks like some sort of sediment that needs to get filtered out

Fri Sep 15 15-08-31

Fri Sep 15 15-11-11

that looks like the cellular material from inside the stems @MAXHeadRoom

1 Like

OK that makes sense because I threw everything in this batch, stems and all. You never know what the benefit of the stems have, if any, but I put them in anyhow.
Thanks Mystery Solved. @bob31 @Majiktoker

Heres the best picture of what it looks like.

Fri Sep 15 15-36-22

It kinda looks like a bunch of empty trichome sacks

2 Likes