My simple yet effective ventilation system

Below you’ll see my ventilation setup. Maybe this will help someone get started but this setup is specific to my lay out. Let’s start with the filter. 8in carbon filter with dust cover duct straight up through ceiling with 8in round pipe. Then elbow in attic attached 8in 600cfm fan and a short piece of pipe. If condensation forms on the pipe in the attic simple wrap it with duct wrap insulation. The fan is plugged into a drop cord that’s ran down beside the pipe and plugged into wall outlet.

7 Likes

By exhausting air into the attic I’m able to keep the smell in the grow room only. As long as the fan is on there’s a constant vacuum surrounding the tent. Best noted when you first walk in the grow room.

1 Like

I found that blowing air thru the scrubber covers the smell more than exhausting thru the scrubber . So I pull air from the tent with an open flange than it blows out the fan into the carbon scrubber , no smell at all . Now when I had the carbon filter in the tent and pulled air out you can get a small scent of the plants in the room .

2 Likes

Folks, Im stuck trying to figure this out. Grow tent 5’ x5’ x9’ is set up, Using a 1000w LED + 2 90w UV/ flowering lights, all hydroponic system., in my garage. After setup I quite successfully grew a 4 Tomato plants as a test before proceeding to the intended crop. The whole bloody house smelled like tomatoes. my darlin wife thru a fit. I have to find a workable solution to proceed to the goal. Being an old outside gorilla farmer its frustrating… Any suggestions ?

1 Like

The answer is right here in this post. You need a ventilation system. Imagine if u were growing the “intended crop” first lol.

@Countryboyjvd1971 or one the other HVAC gurus can help you with the size fan u need and probably recommend something off of Amazon for ya.

1 Like

Just get some 6in round duct 4in minimum with an inline fan. Then use a carbon filter in the tent or on the exhaust side to eliminate the smell. Before the carbon filter my attic would knock you down but now just dusty attic smell. @Jesse7

1 Like

My ventilation system is overkill for the tent due to a math error on my part but if I ever turn the whole room into a grow I won’t have to change my vent system

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback, guess I didn’t let ya’ll know is I have 3 oscillating fans in the tent 1 6" intake, 1 6" exhaust , filter in the tent,
Is there a reason I can’t daisy chain Carbon Filters ?

1 Like

I hate the smell of tomatoes for sure ! The intended crop aroma I can smell all Day ! Obviously gotta be cool or there will heck to pay aside from divorce !!

1 Like

How old is the filter? Shouldn’t be any smell outside your grow if ur using a carbon filter. Is it inside your tent ie pulling air thru it and does it have a pre filter? White cloth outer layer? Like in pic above?

How many cfm was your exhaust fan.

I’d get divorced over tomato stink for sure lol

1 Like

You can but it may cut down on your cfms then heat and humidity may become an issue. Personally I don’t have a supply air fan just exhaust. This creates negative pressure in the tent which keeps the odor in the tent. The supply air may be blowing odor out of the tent before it can be filtered

1 Like

how big is your filter and fan and where do you exhaust it to
@bob31 made a good point is charcoal filter new ?

the filter is a about a year old. Given to me by another “Horticulturist”. Really don’t now its make. NO it does not have an outside fabric , its aluminum cased, i have it inside the tent attached to the exhaust duct. To the idea of cutting cfm and pulling the intake is an. interesting idea …the exhaust goes through the filter vents through duct to my garage… Clamps are tight , no obvious, leaks

I’m no expert, but if you’re getting odor, it’s probably one of two things. Not enough CFM pulling the odors out/ not enough negative pressure or that filter is no good. I’ve heard you can rejuvenate them somehow but I don’t recall where I saw them. From what I hear those filters only last about a year or so.

1 Like

I agree with your logic, ordering a new carbon filter for sure. Also going to drastically reduce intake. My tent temp are good right now so so I may have to increase exhaust fan size to maintain . Heck, I keep messing with this indoor stuff I might get good !! LOL

1 Like

I think the life of a carbon filter is about a year so get ya a new one and let the exhaust fan do most of the work and I think you’ll be good to go

You might consider exhausting outside so you’re not reusing the same air

A lot of it is trial and error and what works for you may not work for me and in many cases their are several ways to achieve the same results. I only run a 90 cfm fan but my grow area is small 2x3x6 and only one girl at the moment.

Most carbon filters have a 12 month life span so that would explain why your house still smells
You’ll need to purchase a new filter Amazon has them for as little as 43$ for a 4 inch connection
Good luck :cowboy_hat_face:CB

Like the setup

1 Like