Menojuana (aka: A middle aged woman’s attempt at a better quality life grow)

Yes freakie, just on the very tippy tip of a few leaves on one plant. barely noticeable but I am a worry wart lol

2 Likes

I would just plain pH water it the next couple of times

2 Likes

Thanks guys, @GetbackJoJo @FreakyDeekie @SmoknGranny. I hope it will not get worse, but tomorrow is water day anyway, so we will definitely use only PH’d water with maybe a little flush on the affected plant and see if that works. I am a worry wart. I worry more about these girls than I do my own kids ugh :crazy_face:

@Donaldj
Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA: Northern Lights Photo seems to be the only plant effected
Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? FFOF Soil
System type? N/A
PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? emphasized text_No run off yet, ph’d water going in 6.5
What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS 1/4 recommended Big Bloom and Grow Big TDS 600ppm
Indoor or Outdoor Indoor
Light system, size? 400watt MH 100%
Temps; Day, Night 80/day, 71/night
Humidity; Day, Night 50%/day, 60% night
Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size_Yes, 6inch vent fan

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, no
Co2; Yes, No no
Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you smile

The first time we added nutes was yesterday and went with 1/4 of the recommended strgnth for a 5 week grow. I think it was 1.5 teas and 1/2 teas of the Grow Big and Big Bloom.

Here is a picture. THis is the worst spot. There are a few others just barely discolored on the same plant. not all leaves. just like 2 or 3 leaves affected so far.

1 Like

@rodri59

If it is check this out…

Nutrient Burn :teef:

Nutrient Burn is one of the MOST common mistakes a new grower makes, reason for this is, because a newer grower will use a chemical nutrient most of the time and listen to the directions on the box. This is a NO NO! Depending on the age of the plant, size, strain and soil mixture you are using also has a factor. There is no set guideline when using nutrients, but I can give you a good example to start out with so you will not burn your plants. It’s always good to start out light, rather than feed heavy. Remember you can always add more later, but can not take out when you added to much. Chemical and Organic nutrients differ. Chemical nutrients are more readily available and can burn way easier than organics can. Organics are easier for a newer grower to use, most of the time, and lessen your chances of burning your plants.
I recommend not using more than ½ teaspoon of chemical nutrients per gallon of water. Unless the plants are very big 5 feet+, then it’s safe to use 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When your plants first emerge you want to wait at least 2 weeks before feeding your plants, unless your plants are in a soiless mixture, like pro mix. The cotyledons (its first set of round looking leaves) are what give the plant its food until they get the first 2 or 3 sets of leaves. If your plants are in a soiless mixture and are over the first week of age; you can feed a weak amount of nutrients, like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water. Soiless mixtures are different from soil plants and soiless plants need to be fed more when using this mixture.

I also recommend not feeding more than 1 time a week if using ½ teaspoon per gallon of water for chemical nutrients. You can feed every other day,( this goes for chemical and organics) at very weak amounts, but doing this may contribute to over watering, and for that I do not recommend feeding more than once a week. Some people feed 2 times a week using like ¼ teaspoon per gallon of water… Use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from the 2nd feeding when using chemical nutrients. It’s very easy to overdo it. When using organics, depending on which one you’re using, I recommend using 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. When the plant gets bigger you can work your way up to using more nutrients when the plants get bigger.

As for soil mixtures, there are a lot of different kinds of soil’s out there. Using a rich soil mixture is not recommended for seedlings. Seedlings that are under 2 weeks of age you do not want to start them in rich soil, using a seed starter mixture is one of the safer ways. Seed starter mixtures are weak in nutrients, so it will not burn the seedlings but will provide them enough to get past seedling stage, but the downside is you have to transplant into a better soil mixture after 2 weeks of age. If you decide to start with this mixture, do not put your seedlings into a big pot. Start them out with using a cup or a small pot.

Nutrient Burn causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. They can also be brown and twisted and crispy looking. Depending on the severity it can show many different symptoms and shows on lower part of the plant when its young, at older stages it can move anywhere on the plant.

To fix the problem when you have Nutrient burn, you want to flush out the plants with lots of water.

Soil

Soil should be flushed with lots of water, Use 3 gallons of water per one gallon of soil. Flush very thoroughly, after plant recovers usually after a week, you can resume using nutrients after a week or a week 1/2. When you flush your soil, you flush everything out, a lot of nutrients go with it, including the soil nutrients.

Hydro

Change out the reservoir, flush out any lines and clean out the entire system and replace with plain water for the first hour, then start out with lower parts per million (PPM)
Its good to clean out your system every 2 weeks and replace with fresh water and nutrients. Some people change everything every week!

Ahh, nute burn! Stop this by not adding to much chemical/organic nutrients to your water,foliar feeding. DONT feed more than 1 time a week unless using weak amount, use 1/4 strength for first feeding and then go up to 1/2 strength from then on when using chemical nutrients. Its very easy to overdo it. Causes leaf tips to appear yellow or burnt. NEVER give nutrients to plants that are under 2 weeks of age, at this age the soil nutrients are enough to suppliment them untill 2 weeks of age or more depending on how good your soil is. Using ferts before 2 weeks will almost likley kill your plants.

Wrote by
Stitch
Posted by
Garrigan

8 Likes

Thanks for the ticket and picture if you have nutrient burn it is extremely minor though an overall look at plant would give better idea as to size and the likely odds that it is large enough to handle nutrients also a run off is best way to know when you should be adding nutrients. FFOF is a nutrient rich soil which has charge which gets most growers 6-8 weeks into grow before needing any help. That is judged by tracking run off ppm :wink: as ppm drops over time and plant starts to slow growth rates then we feed.
I suspect at so low dose the nutrient burn will not worsen much and a simple straight water next cycle will get her back on track

4 Likes

@rodri59 I too have made the mistake of nutrient burn. Only a few plants have it, but I did just water this time around. It’s not just you!

1 Like

@Donaldj here is the picture of the Northern lights that is affected It was taken last night after her feeding

We topped her about a 10 days ago. She is about 5.5 weeks old from germ

2 Likes

HAH @Covertgrower thanks for posting that. Makes me feel better. I know I am not alone, but your picture drives that point home :slight_smile: you are the best!

2 Likes

Anything for you @rodri59! Us first timers have to stick together! Seriously, I check on my plants a lot, and observe almost every inch to see what they might be trying to tell me.

2 Likes

@rodri59. And where exactly “down under” are you headed for. You will love it here. I’m on the east coast, in Newcastle, not far from Sydney. Weather should be nice when you get here. Say hello to my girls, I’m sure they’re waving.

7 Likes

Hey @chewie57 Your girls look AH- mazing :slight_smile: :wave: at the girls!

We are going to be spending a week in Sydney and then fly up to Mackay (hubbys sister lives in Mackay) and
spend a few weeks there, Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

I am really looking forward to it although the flight is a bit daunting. I have never been. Hubby is a Kiwi, but seems like most of his family (the important ones anyway lol) all migrated to Aus. So we are doing Australia this go and maybe New Zealand next year or two. I would like to see where he grew up.

How far is Newcastle? We are going to be staying in the Potts Point area and of course hit all the “yank” touristy places. Any recommendations?

:flight_arrival: :new_zealand: :australia:

2 Likes

@rodri59, your plant looks fine IMO. You did get great advice on nutrients though. Your plants look great! Deep breath.

2 Likes

Thanks @Myfriendis410. This morning, they look the same as they did last night. Doesn’t seem to be spreading or affecting the other plants…sooooooooooo.

We water again tonight, so will definitely do just ph’d water only. I am a bit more relaxed today. I tend to be a perfectionist in things, drives my fam :crazy_face: Turns out growing weed is no different. :sunny:

2 Likes

@rodri59 what is bullet-proof coffee?

@Ross14 ONLY the most AH-mazing thing in the world!! Well it might be second to support hose and those new hearing aids that fit deep down in your ears - but than there is the ear wax issue, so I think BP coffee is second, but a very close 2nd.

Its like a meal in a cup really. I am diabetic and it has become a good, low-carb way to start my day…

It is also a good way to use cannabutter, if you have a mind to make it.

BP coffee is really coined from the fact that many people make it with their nutri-bullets; you know those little mini blenders?

You pour your cup of black coffee into the blender (and I use a full size blender or a stick blender - doesn’t have to be a nutri-bullet) then you add grass-fed organic butter (maybe a Tbls) a cpl of Tbls of heavy whipping cream or half and half, sweetener of your choice (I use flavored stevia). You set the blender at medium to med-high speed and let it do its thing for a minute or so. What you end up with is basically nectar of the Gods. It is frothy and creamy and AH-mazing.

Some people use their cannabutter instead of the store bought butter. If you like coffee you will like this. Some people also add MCT oil, like coconut oil, but don’t use too much or your will get a bit of an oil film on your lips.

Rodri :coffee:

4 Likes

Can’t wait to make this!

1 Like

Let me know how it goes! Honest to goodness I go to bed looking forward to waking up and drinking my covfefe now lol.

PS. Welcome to the padded room! (my journal)

4 Likes

…WARNING: off color words and meanings ahead. Read at your own risk…

WORD OF THE DAY:

SAUNA BOMB

Running into a sauna naked and pooping on the heat source

I was having a relaxing schvitz when Trump totally sauna bombed and blamed it on Obama.

#poop

2 Likes

I would wager that most of us on here share your feelings haha. I’m no different: retired with the wife still working and 2 cocker spaniels for company I devote a fair amount of time to the plants.

2 Likes

Just got to the end of this journal. Have been reading it for the past 2 or 3 days. What joy! I’m just going to leave my browser window open so I can follow daily. It just a breath of fresh air reading all the comments, tips and suggestions. I had been going to youtube for most everything, which I’ll still do but this is such a warm, friendly and funny forum.

It’s just been in the last 2 months that I started researching covert growing etc. and I’ve been blown away at how much is going on. I was freaking out a bit about the money that was going into equipment etc, but now I’m just looking at it as an investment. If this first grow is a success then it’ll just be seed money for the next while. I haven’t attempted any LST or fimming because I’m growing autos and this is my first time and, and, and…

Kudos all! Kudos!

6 Likes