Marijuana lighting difference between sativa's and indica's

A question from a fellow grower:

I have indica’s,sativa’s,and hybrids. Since Sativa’s are grown closer to the equator do they need 13 or 14 hours of dark in the end of their cycle? I know Indica’s need 10 (some) but mostly 12 since they’re from the northern hemisphere. So I am not sure if 12 hours is suitable for plants grown from different parts of the world. Please help, because everyone is always running 12 hours for plants that are from all parts of the world.

Interesting question! I’ve never even thought about it that has me very interested to find out,
I have grown hash plants and Afghani’s with the standard photoperiod and they done well.
Can’t wait to read what latewood or MacGyver has to say on this one!

Most sativas do just fine with 12 hours of darkness to flower. Think about this, if you are at the equator, you will get nearly a 12/12 light cycle all year long. I have never heard of even the most difficult sativa needing more than 13 hours of darkness to flower. You should be fine with the traditional 12/12 cycle for flowering all your plants.

Actually the only places that get more a whole whole lot more than 12 hours of darkness or a whole whole lot more than 12 hours of light at certain times of the year are near the Arctic or Antarctic. For example in the northern hemisphere, some places near the Arctic get 24 hours of light in the summer and 24 hours of darkness during the winter, this does not happen near the equator, as I said above, they get nearly 12/12 all year long.

where are you located?