Long term storage

Hello one and all - I have looked over the categories here and can see any questions pertaining to long term storage.
Ever since I’ve grown I have always left my buds dry but still a little pliable and sticky, stuck them in jars and stashed them in the freezer. My wife and I don’t smoke that much but we are everyday puffers, so when we do take out our little nuggets its just like smoking just harvested bud.

Now my wife is reading some junk on WikiLeaks stating that my practice is all wrong… Need the gurus of ILGM on this one.
My thinking is out of the light, heat, and air – all helps with slowing the degradation of THC.

Thanks

MotaMan

1 Like

I dont know the answer to this question either, but I’d be curious to find out :slight_smile:

Have you thought about vacuum sealed bags?

Sealed in mason jars.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-FM2000-FFP-Vacuum-Sealing-Starter/dp/B01D5TMBE0/ref=sr_1_5?tag=greenrel-20

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0023-01-Wide-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B00005TN7H/ref=sr_1_2?tag=greenrel-20

4 Likes

That jar sealer is pretty slick @Rugar89

2 Likes

If you freeze the bud the trichomes become brittle and break off with very little effort. Cool, dark, dry place; 62 % RH is about perfect for long term storage. @MotaMan

5 Likes

Thanks for the input – but I do know that trichomes will detach if frozen - but that really only happens if ya jostle the jar or keep handling the bag. Still they can be collected (can be done but difficult) and smoked for a great buzz. My main question was does freezing degrade THC not the bud itself…

Thanks again
MotaMan

@MotaMan I think the only way to know for sure would bee to have it tested.

Landed on this post yesterday.
Has anyone tried those bags before?
Seems better than ziplocs…

Thanks

hello motaman & ILGM members great site & forum Ive been growing for 35 or so years now i guess im called a seasoned grower over the years i have grown outside & inside ; soil & hydrophonics & to many strains to list. MOTAMAN you are doing evrything right i have found over the years that thc does degrade over time no mater how u store it. {your wife is right} ive done it all i have had good results storing it { popcorn dry vacumed 1 gallon glass jars in freezer } THC or potance will be good for 6 to 8 months but start droping after that quite fast buds are still good but potance is less. To store loooong term i make it into consentrate mostly oil for up to 2 years { still hits strong} sealed & in fridge hash & butter 1 year sealed in fridge BUT THE BEST WAY IS just grow enough to keep a healthy stash till the next crop fresh is best hope this helps. THE BUSHTIGER

Thanks BushTiger – I used to make oil in my barracks back in 79 using my Isomerizer . I still have that baby and the heating bulb still works. All I’m missing is the reclamation pot that fits inside, once I find a workable sub I will making oil once again. I’d rather smoke than ingest myself. I just switched back to indoors after 30 plus yrs outside… I only like to grow once maybe twice a yr - too many grows - too much attention – rule of thumb I’ve always adhered to.

Thanks for the advice

MotaMan