Lights, power/watts, heat and ventilation, HID and LED

I have the same problem " HEAT " an it was mainly from two sources.
From day time heat and most of all my two 1000watt. Hps
I fixed the heat from the lights by switching to two 400 watts hps for flower and I use two 300watt cfl’s for vegging and t5s for seedling and clones. I have an AC air conditioner witch is on 24/7
I put the girls to sleep at 7 am. EST and wake them at 7 pm EST
The vegging girls go to sleep at 12 noon till 6 pm
This all brought my heat down from 90 - 100 plus to 78 -87 degrees.
I vent heat up into the attic where my house AC came in.
I am posting a pic later tonight the results have been amazing.
I have also switched my nutrients from Roberts to PH Perfect nutrients.
I saw change within 3 days. Awesome stuff and for the fraction of the price.

B Safe
Will

I’ve got to actually put my oldest plants in five or seven gallon pots, veg them for a little longer, or at least half of the oldest plants. I have two ducted style hps assemblies with ipower ballasts, at $600 watts each, but I don’t really want to use them, cause 600 watts x2 is 1200 watts, I mean, even 600 watts seems like a lot of juice for just 6-7 plants flowering. I have no experience with hps, how much heat they make, maybe it would be a good thing, like flowering from 9pm to 9pm, when the air is cold outside.

Its too bad I have to go buy some larger pots, 5 or 7 gallon, cause the oldest plants, most of them, need more time to veg and repair from the former cramped area, plus I have switched to different fertilizers, the organic stuff, like also need to start using the microbial root enhancers, get them all built up extra, then use the organic flowering fertilizers, and maybe even work out some sort of co2 thing, as a rookie I wasn’t gonna do it, but maybe yeast fermenting could do it. Technically, I need to take a bunch of clones off some of them, since they are mother plants. I mean, this problem will likely never happen again, …needing to use five gallon or larger pots, maybe. Large plants, seven of them, take up pretty much most of the spare in a 4x8 foot grown tent, in case anyone wants to know. I may have to crop the tops on all of them, then of course they will need some sort of scrog setup before I flower.

I moved 6 posts to an existing topic: No nutrients yet in soil from seed 25 days

I moved a post to an existing topic: No nutrients yet in soil from seed 25 days

I moved 2 posts to an existing topic: Two 250 watt cfl one at 6400lum one at 2700 lum

I moved a post to an existing topic: Two 250 watt cfl one at 6400lum one at 2700 lum

Hello.
I’m starting to grow with 20W CFL 1305 lumen light bulb. Its temperature is arround 6500K.
The plant hasn’t showed up yet, I planted germinated seed yesterday(soil), gave it some nutrients (NPK is 15:15:15).
It is in a box (2x2 feet), that’s inside well-covered with aluminium foil.
Is the light strong enoug for one plant, and does the plant have good growing conditions?

First…never give newly germination seeds or seedlings nutrients.
You should wait till the seedling has at least 5 or more true sets of leaves.

B Safe
Will

1 Like

If you growing in soil straight out the bag , make sure you run ph water through until it’s ph between 5.8 -6.2 . Fresh bag soil of any kind can be to hot for germinated seedlings . I tested all brands of soil and each one first water run off was 7.1 which can cause early nitrogen burn or the seedling not grow at all . The best method I learn is to start seedlings in coco coir and perlite , keep lightly moist until first 3 nodes of fan leaves grow and transplant , and just ph water until the 5 node than top , after its topped , than start half of 2.5 ml nutrients of any brand until stalk gets girth or thickness , once second two nodes start growing after topped , it should be safe to start 5 ml of nutrients to plant with 5 ml of molasses or cal-mag …Happy Growing !!!

1 Like

question for my fellow growers my ballast has a 100, 75, and 50 percent rating on it by turning it down to 50 percent is this like running a 500 to 600 watt HID at 100 percent my light is1000w

Yes, 50% of 1000 watts would be 500 watts. I doubt it would be equivalent to a 600, as 6 one thousand watt lights would not be equal to the amount of light 10 six hundred watt HPS lights would put out. The average 600 watt HPS light has a special place among HID lights, being that it is about the most efficient when comparing light intensity output or PAR as compared to the amount of watts it needs or uses to provide said light.

But yes, that is what those percentages will do, you can fine tune the amount and intensity of light for your plants’ needs and their size of development.

hope this helps,

MacG

I’m jumping in a little late! I have a 300 watt LED, 300 actual watts drawn, that is rated at 432 watts. It works well in my 2x4x5 foot tent. I used it to grow some awesome buds on my last grow. It did heat up the tent a little but was always around 79-82 degrees. Overall, I have not used any other light in growing but limited CFL and then only LED lights for last two grows.

I also have a set of LED lights that I lower around the bottom of the plants to make sure the penetration is good. I am reasonably sure the 300 watt penetrates to the bottom but I may have increased the buds on the lower branches by using CFL and LED drop down lights in addition to the big light. I am pretty happy with the LED and will stay with them.

1 Like

Can one add cfl lightscan u use LEd lights and ÇFL together during flowering?

Yes you can use them both together .

Hey tx, I have a room ,15 ft tall,length,andwide, how many leds ,should I use ,or should I break room in different spaces,for different things

Personally, I would divide the room into several smaller rooms. It depends on your experience in growing and the desired amount of product you want each grow. I would divide into three rooms: one for vegetation, one for flowering and a small one (with no lights, just ventilation) for just for drying and curing. Did you go through the information that MacGuyverStoner posted in the beginning of this post? I would look at those posts and I believe your questions will be answered there. He is one of the best experts on growing on this site. Latewood is also in the same category and many of us have good input just from growing and getting information from them.

Take home answer is HID lights require 50watts per square foot and LED 30-35 watts/square foot. The entries in this blog also discuss the value of being able to move the lights closer and get more kick out of smaller lights. Another very valuable source of information is the free e-book that Robert has on the site for Growing MJ. It has a lot of information in it. Review the entries posted above and I believe you will get your answers on lighting. As far as dividing the room, it is personal choice and level of experience that will tell you what to do. Your level of experience will come to play in this also, it is a lot of work keeping up with that much space and your lighting and cooling bills may be prohibitive. Good luck on your grow. Jerry

Hello Mr Macgyverstoner
I have a 15ft wide,tall, and long room, how many leds should I have there, I already have 1000 watt led,shpuld I break room up, I do want a variety of plants, I also.want to clone basically I dont want them to stop coming, I heard u were the man, to talk to, hope u can whip me in shape fir this one, will b a reward at the end if the rainbow frim me, appreciate ur time

Sorry, I wouldn’t tell you any different than what I’ve said above. However, I might use a little more than just 30-35 watts per square foot for LEDs, but that is just me.

Happy growing,

MacG

Gteat info

If you have any specific questions in regards to the stuff I wrote up top, feel free to ask, and I agree, TxGrowman has made some good suggestions.

Happy growing,

MacG

1 Like