Light change effects

Hey everyone. I recently took on the challenge of growing my own plants. Right now i have a grow tent thats 3x3x6 (feet) and a pretty small LED growing light made by vander. I bought the light for a quick fix and was planning to get a ballast and some high pressure sodium bulbs later. My plant is just starting its 6th week of flowering and i am actually impressed how well the little LED light works. I believe its 150w. Regardless i still want to upgrade. So i was wondering if i started using high pressure sodiums on the flowering plant, would it cause too much stress on the plant? Or should i just stick with the LED until the end and wait to use the high pressures on the next crop? Thanks for your time and response. Im new to this website and growing

2 Likes

@Licksore if you have the option to get a dimmable HPS you’ll do just fine. If you don’t have the option for dimming, just start it out farther away than usual. The main reason is as not to light bleach the leaves. If all of these are taken into consideration adding additional light will in no way harm the plants. You may not get the full benefits of having additional light, so late in flower, but it should help. Happy growing!

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Yes space isnt the issue. I was just curious if a different light source would stress the plants out and ruin the flowers. Thank you for your advice!

Hello @Licksore

Many growers use LED as a support for the HPS, by placing it on the laterals of the plant in order to boost the side production. So if you have a HPS as well, maybe you can use it as a main lamp, and then use the LED as support by placing it on one of the side of your area! Or you can put it also on the side of the HPS to offer a wider spectrum, but I never experienced that directly!

1 Like

You won’t stress your plant by doing so, as far as you keep your light cycle

1 Like

Awesome thats great news! Thank you for your help. I was just worried because one of my plants is so close to being ready. Didnt want to mess it up at the last minute. Everyone is very helpful on this site and i cant wait until ive had enough experience to help others!

1 Like