Let's talk DIY lights

Marketing @dbrn32 marketing. People that don’t understand what they’re purchasing, and don’t research it. I promise you though, I could almost sell that kit to you if I were selling it. I may have a maintenance background, but I have sales skills too. Haha

1 Like

Believe it or not, prior to getting into the maintenance field I worked in sales myself. Started in the audio business, then new cars. Left the car business when we found out baby mama was pregnant. Decided to move back from Phoenix to Chicago area where we had family. Otherwise there’s a decent chance I may still be doing it.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 Most of my sales experience falls into the apartment category. I helped a little when all of the leasing agents were busy, and paid attention to their seminars. You’d be amazed what people purchase at a suggestive comments and making them touch things. I would imagine cars wouldn’t be much different.
I also sold food from a local store in the deli. I worked in produce mostly, but the owner caught on my salesmanship even in the produce. Lol. I boosted his deli sales, just by working there on lunch instead of produce. I loved selling stuff people that had no idea they even wanted to buy it! I loved the store owner and the store but he never had any drywall that needed fixing. Lol Plus I got paid more to play in the mud.

Ya lol, you got that right!

1 Like

did some looking around on the web and I’m going to go with the Quantum boards. If I attach the light panels to 12"x12"x1/8" aluminum(polished diamond plate) will I need additional heat sinks or cooling? I have attached a sketch a doodle of what I think it will look like. The blue is the first phase of the light…I will add the red section later. I’m thinking about putting the drivers between the lights on each bar. I will need some help with some dimensions as far as length of bars and placement of lights. Materials of construction will be aluminum T-slot bar for the frame.
I got locked out of the forum lastnite…I guess I can only make so many post on the first day.
light

1 Like

Going with QB’s, you won’t be disappointed! I love mine and I haven’t heard a single bad review. Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

Kind of depends on how hard you want to push them. At roughly $20 per heatsink, I think they’ll be worth their weight in gold at any current. I’m willing to bet you will see a significant decrease in performance and possibly be limited on output below where it makes the most sense to run them.

You may want to simply purchase the proper heatsink if using a QB. Driver might benefit from being on a heatsink too.

Ok…went back to my first post and re-read everything down from there. I like the QB’s…however, after re-reading I’m now looking at the EB strips (BXEB-L1120Z-35E4000-C-B3). 15 strips run by 3 drivers (hlg-240h-c1050a)? Looks like availability of strips might be an issue. @dbrn32 do these parts look right?

1 Like

Looks about right. I can go double check.

Part number you have listed is for 3500k, but you stated 4000k. I may have already asked, but why specifically 4000k? I’m guessing this is going to be primarily a veg space?

If you didn’t catch it, at that current you should mount them to some sort of aluminum to help disperse heat a little. Won’t take much though.

Edit… arrow electrics has them in most color temps.

1 Like

i laid out a tape measure and laid out 15 1" spaces about 2" apart…looks like it will cover everything…LOL…this might be a stupid question…should I run all 3500k…or should I mix other colors?

lights will be used from start to harvest so looking for a color range that works best. strips will be mounted to aluminum,

We usually do all 3000k for that. But if you were wanting to do something a little different, I would maybe suggest one 4000k for every two 3000k or something along those lines. If not, I would definitely go with 3500k over 4000k.

1 Like

I will go with the 3000K if I can find them. I found 2 here and 3 there …need 15. Do you foresee heat issues if the strips are mounted to aluminum angle?

Nope should be good. Did you check arrow electronics? Also make sure you’re getting all gen 2 strips, the gen 1 strips have different forward voltage and don’t fit drivers the same way

I checked Arrow…they only have 4…looks like a tough item to get

They’re new is the problem. Limited supply and all the led nerds wanting to get their hands on them.

1 Like

We’re not moving on something

1 Like

found them…I was one number off…
Double checking that (hlg-240h-c1050a) is correct for the driver…in a quantity of 3.
what do you think about remote dimming? can I run 1 dimmer pot to control all 3 drivers?