Let's talk DIY lights

8 Likes

Oh snap! It’s hard to be disappointed in that lol. I’d say you’ve done well my friend, glad I could help.

You about ready to bring the buds?

2 Likes

That’s a healthy looking forest! I love it @daddy

1 Like

As a refresher @Daddy what type of COB do you have? Cree or Citizen?

@dbrn32 I’ve got lots of room and was thinking Feb 10th. But I have some issues I’m fixing on them before flower and am thinking maybe 7-10 days now before the flip.

Neither lol. But I’ll let @Daddy proudly describe his light.

@Covertgrower Vero 29s. 8 3000k 90cri and 4 4000k 80cri. Filled with the 320 meanwell.

1 Like

Sounds good to me!

Issues with the lights? I was going to ask you if you had a way to test the current on your drivers. My buddy supposedly found four d series cobs that have high enough fv to kick the 320 out of constant current mode. He’s kind of electrically incompetent though, he’s suppose to bring the light here this weekend.

1 Like

Very nice thanks @Daddy I have Cree CXB 3590 3000K 90CRI powered by MW. I love them. Puts my China fixtures to shame.

3 Likes

So far so good. All appear to be even output. No light bleaching even at 12 inches but did get some pretty good tacoing and curl. Plants supper hungry and just hard to keep them fed enough. They have been a hundred percent since week 3. About 70k lumens at 18 inches and good even spread.

1 Like

I know. I stalk your grows too lol

1 Like

No likes, but glad you guys @Daddy and @Covertgrower are both happy and bringing up some beauties!

1 Like

And @dbrn32 only wants to know when I go into flower because I told him I would start my journal then lol. He’s curious.

2 Likes

You betcha! I gotta be full service ya know haha. As much as I am curious, gotta keep following and learning too. If there’s something I or we really like or dislike, then I want to make sure we can share that moving forward.

3 Likes

A couple things I can tell everyone…although I really like the Crees, I don’t know if the extra cost is worth it. The Veros are workhorses and will do what ever you want them to. As thick and dense as my girls are, I’m still getting penetration to the soil which is insane. I expect then to stretch and open up when I flip them and will know in the end how good the penetration actually is. I am running active cooling as well and it seems to help. I could almost notice a drop in light when they were hotter(seemed about 5k-10k in lower unprofessionable measured lumens lol) plus it help keep my room at a uniform correct temp.

2 Likes

If you have a multimeter with temp probe you can probably find out exactly what the difference is in output from passive to active. Get case temps on both and refer to data sheet.

You’re guesstimate would be like 300-900 lumens per cob? Maybe, hard to guess even with a calculated eyeball lol.

You have a pc fan on each sink, or using a large fan to just blow air over all of them?

1 Like

1 oscillating 12" fan across the sinks. Cheap lumen meter at plant tops is showing me the drop and fan is dropping heat sink temps 15-20 degree f.

1 Like

Copy that! If you don’t mind me asking, what were or are the sink temps?

Having done most of my growing under the exact same cob and driver pairing, I’m wondering how much my tower fans played into cooling my sinks. They were there for the plants, but I’m certain that for majority of grow they were moving at least a little air across them. I think that would be considered semi-active at best, but is neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things I suppose.

1 Like

I have a fan blowing over my sinks, and since turning them up full power they’ve been a little hot to touch. Haven’t taken a temp. @dbrn32 @Daddy
I went with Cree based on the light output and efficiency at lower voltages.

1 Like

110-120 passive and 90-100 active.

1 Like