Let's talk DIY lights

I’m actually looking at 2 per tube for 5 total which ought to give me good coverage. I also figured that there is a LOT of surface area and aluminum has such a high thermal conductivity that I should be fine.

I tried to pick some up today but there’s a Delta IV launch today and he’s sitting on the console. I think it’s scheduled for 1:00 PM today.

I agree you’ll be plenty good, even if there were more strips. Looking at it from a coverage standpoint, I may even consider doing four bars of aluminum and putting three strips on the two outer bars and two strips on the two center bars. The middle will have highest density with help from the diodes on each side but you’ll have more diodes toward the edge creating a bigger overall footprint and more even overall light canopy.

You can do it either way and I think you’ll be happy. But the spacing I suggested will get you a bigger window to play with heights and also much less need to worry about a center hot spot.

Excellent point and it will reduce the weight by 20% too.

So WW doesn’t like the cobs any closer then 28 inches…

My Blue Dream has just grown up to within 11 inches of my Vero29 COBs. They are the high voltage ones running at about 1.22 amps, so they are about 82 watts each. About 15000 lumens. Plant looks fine.

Maybe they just need to be hardened to the different light source a little?

They have been at :100: for 2 weeks now both WW grew into the light a little bit and :taco: lol nice little curl on the edges too. I already seen that they can be a little finicky with heat and light so no big deal. Stepped the light up 8 inches and they will be fine. The other strains love the intensity.

My 30 watt photo red 660 nm COBs finally came in from China today. It looks like they each have 30 one watt LEDs on each one. They have about a 1.5" x 2" metal mounting plate on the back surface, so good thermal transfer should be no problem.

I am supposed to get a new camera arriving tomorrow. I’ll post some pics when I get one running.