Let's talk DIY lights

I’ve pretty much committed to purchasing green crack. Mrs. Covertgrower has tried white widow, and it was an instantly her favorite. So I’ve been trying to pick the next selection based around white widow effects. Cinderella might be a consideration as well. Calico jack seems interesting. @dbrn32

2 Likes

I forgot about white widow, it’s a classic. I think the calico jack was maybe a house breed local to there. It wasn’t super impressive by normal standards. But it was good for what we were doing. Wife had very slight psychedelic effect and extreme case of giggles. But we were able to drink without losing our minds, which can be problem lol.

I would imagine the one @1BigFella recommended is good too. Which reminded me of Barneys tangerine dream! It’s a good one, but was a real pain in the a$$ to grow. Went way longer than recommended, like 13 weeks from flip if I remember. And I felt like I was constantly toxic or deficient on something. But man, it was a really good head buzz.

2 Likes

I was just looking at the seed page, and it has green crack listed as indica dominant. That wouldn’t be the green crack I had, it was very sativa heavy. So I’m not sure if there’s maybe a broad pheno range, or maybe an error on the description. May want to get some more info on that prior to ordering.

1 Like

Look what I found! @MAXHeadRoom

8 Likes

Great find. :smiley: Looks like the prices are the same as the HLG website. But at least they aren’t sold out like HLG is all the time.

1 Like

That’s what I was referring to. I thought it would be cool that they now listed the components on amazon, but it’s looking kind of like a mess. Boards, but no heatsinks. So now you have to get boards from amazon and heatsinks from hlg, without knowing stock quantities of either?

And the dance of drilling the 1000 holes…begins

6 Likes

At least you don’t have to worry about changing batteries lol. Gotta love the air drill

4 Likes

Luckily I purchased all my components already and have more than enough lights for my grow space.

I have 1300 true watts for a 4 x 6 grow space. Thats 54 watts per square foot.

3 Likes

@MAXHeadRoom @dbrn32 that’s exactly what I think I should have my Watts per square foot at eventually. Now this may be a dangerous thought but I know this is the right place to land it. So, now that I have this kit, I can’t stop staring at the holes in between the COB strings. I’m thinking what if I installed the quantum board two in each gap??? That should make good use of that space… thoughts? Otherwise eventually I’ll fill them with COB Kit eventually.

3 Likes

Last I seen you were doing pretty darn good indeed! You have a separate veg space correct?

I have plenty of components, but only 2 small fixtures built. Down to like 2000 Watts worth of drivers. There a shoebox full of xml2 and luxeon rebels, 6 3590, 4 3070, 4 2530, 9 Vero 18, about 20 various lengths of bridgelux and Samsung strips, and 2 qb 288.

I have a bad habit of adding things that I don’t really need lol. Those pesky bulk discounts and/or free shipping offers get to me. I just wish people that needed them lived close. It’s too much money for me to give away, but I would certainly loan them out. Just to see what they would do if nothing else.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what my next light will be. Qb with 3590 3000k 90 cri in each corner. If you scroll up I’m sure you’ll see me talk about it lol.

If you did 2 of the xl 260 kits, one between each row of cobs, you’d probably have enough light to call the 4x8 done.

3 Likes

Just saw your response after I hit reply. Is your grow space ever really done? Lol. I was looking at the 3 board kit, I’m not entirely sure about the length and width, but I could make it work. Might have to make a two board kit fit better. If I got two of those, one for each gap, I think it would be perfect. @dbrn32

3 Likes

It would. One thing I would suggest, sitting tight and seeing what the boys at hlg are up to. Doesn’t sound like it will be cheap, whatever it is. But they’re up to something. I believe Stephen’s words were “sphere data available soon” lol.

Whatever that means…

2 Likes

air drill is in the top of my box,it gets used a lot too!!
progressing well @Daddy

3 Likes

Yes i built a flower room 6x9 and a separate veg/clone/seedling area. I also made a drying area where I can put my dehumidifier and I ran clothes lines to hang the buds on. I use the China lights for the seedlings and clones because they are so weak, but work great for that purpose.

3 Likes

his is an integrated test sphere. I believe this is what he was talking about

4 Likes

Diy some strips or inexpensive monos if/when the China lights crap out. In my opinion, they ar the most fun to work with. I built 8.5 watt light for clones for something like $12. Works great, and was fun little project that took about an hour to do.

1 Like

@Covertgrower I’m right at a kilowatt so I can’t add anything more. That’s the limit on my controllers.

1 Like

I’m familiar with the sphere test. I was talking about what they have that will be going into the sphere. I should’ve been more clear.

There was some buzz a little while back about a qb elite. And testing of the 90 cri Samsung chips including the lm301b. But I haven’t seen anything solid.

1 Like