Lets talk about PH Meters

Thanks for all the great information and options @latewood
I will be doing some more researching before ordering. I don’t mind paying a little more for something that’s reliable and works as intended. (with in reason)

2 Likes

I have had a lot of bad luck with ph meters I got the $60 Hanna meter followed all directions never dropped it never put it away dry or dirty it just stopped working after a couple months I kept it to long couldn’t return it so I orderd one of the yellow ones for $20 two weeks ago its giving me trouble already I calibrate every time with clean solution I think most of the problems I have had with my grow is th ph being off My Hanna h19814 will be here on Friday :thumbsup: its only my second grow first was autos I’m done with the cheap meters :v:

1 Like

so I’m the anti everything!

I own the yellow el-cheapy from amazon

I have dropped my meter several times

I never store it in calibration fluid and the directions that came with it don’t tell me to do that

I sometimes forget to wipe it off but I always give it a quick swish of water before I hang it up and let it drip dry

I do calibrate it every couple of weeks, but it has been 100% spot on every time i have checked it in the 7.0 calibration fluid.

@Countryboyjvd1971 @Rugar89 Zombo @Hogmaster @Lia @Majiktoker @garrigan62 @TokersHaven @Niala

Sorry to hear you guys are having these issues!

12 Likes

I think I just have bad luck I got the two broken ones out of a million lol as I ph my water I’ll stick the probe in 7 solution it just won’t stay calibrated I’m just frustrated with having to check it every singl time I have gone threw 2 250ml bottles of solution in 4 weeks it’s more money but I won’t have to worry about calibration every time its the main tool for the grow and hopefully it will last and I don’t get the broken one

2 Likes

@eric2

I’d say the odds are in your favor brother! Hope the next one is a keeper… Either that or me and @Countryboyjvd1971 got the last two good ones!

2 Likes

@eric2
I’m really liking that Hanna H19814 Well everything but the price. Looking like $199.00 or did you find it cheaper? I was going to try and stay at $100.00 or below, buttttttttttttttt More decision’s!

2 Likes

I’m really new at growing but I figured it is the main tool that you need so it was eather upgrade lights or get a good meter so I’m getting the meter i I get 10% off for life at the store I go to it’s $180

1 Like

@eric2 They are both vital tools. Maybe consider clicking Amazon Links to see if you could get a cheaper pen like @ktreez420 has, and still get a light. I think he uses an Apera brand meter. It’s possible to get both and still stay within budget.

3 Likes

I use the Apera PH20 that I bought on Amazon. It comes in a nice hard kit, is easy to calibrate and actually has a light that tells if it needs calibration again. I have had mine for 6+ months and have only calibrated it once. I thought that it might not really be holding the calibration so I tested it on pH 7.0 and 4.0 and it was perfect readings.

Quick to use and accurate. I am happy with this meter. I got a good price of $46 on it but I see it is $66 now. In my estimation, well worth $66 ! Sailed through the last grow with no pH problems.

Hope this helps. Jerry

http://aperainst.com/pocket-testers/value-series-pocket-testers/ph/ph20-value-ph-pocket-tester/

9 Likes

I’m right there with Jerry @TxGrowman, I absolutely love my Apera pH meter. It’s been extremely easy to use and I also only calibrated once so far since owning the meter and it’s been accurate ever since! The meter cap holds solution for the actual probe, so it’s always kept moist with the correct solution. I recommend it to every single person who grows cannabis!

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

@ktreez420

So you guys using the expensive Pen style PH meters, what are you using to check the PPM?

1 Like

Not expensive at all, I highly recommend them to every one because they work like the expensive meters but this one I got was only $45!

I use the cheap blue PPM meters still, I have two and they both always read around the same PPM when I use them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOHN8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

5 Likes

I have a Mudder TDS-3 for PPM. It came as a set with the pH meter but it has never given me a problem. It compares perfectly with a friends TDS meter that was expensive…

The yellow pH meter was a piece of crap. I used to have to calibrate it every time I used it and still did not believe the readings. I am completely happy with the Apera PH20 and will get another if I have to. The best pH meter I have ever used.

5 Likes

I own an El-cheapo yellow one too from Amazon , @bob31 , and, as you and @Countryboyjvd1971, never had problem with it, I do too have to calibrate it about ounce a month, and it never deviate for more than 0.10… Its the double digit precision one from Dr.Meter and paid 20$ CDN, so, about 15$ US.

And, like @latewood said, the probe, if taking care, can last from 8-9 months up to 2 years if stored in distiled water or at least rince it good with distilled water and let it dry completely, or, stored in the pH 7.01 buffer solution…

A cheap meter can do the job @Rugar89 , for 3-4 growth, but, the problem with cheap ones, the probe is not replaceable… With a good one and more pricey one , you can replace the probe, however, the price for a replacement probe is about the same as a new cheap pen and more…

So, it’s a question of oxydation of the probe that make the difference and the material the probe is made that will dictate the lifespan of it…

Oxydation prevention is achieve by either let the probe be in a buffering solution at pH 7.01 or distilled water (change it ounce a month), or by give it a good rince with distilled water (RO and filtred water too) also pH’ed at 7.0 and let it completly dry before recap it… City tap water has chlorine and some metal that will contribute to oxydation…

Anyway, if you choose to buy a priceyer pen, you still have to follow those rules. And if you received a pen that give you pH swing reading from the start, return it.

P.s. When you test pH, espacelly if you have pH’ed it and/or put nutrients in solution , give it a good stir and let it sit for at least 1 hour, question for all thing setup and then, do your pH reading.

Hoping that’s helping…

~Al :v: :innocent:

7 Likes

I also check mine @Niala at least once a month in fluid and against my other more expensive meter one I can replace electrodes and yeah the new probe costs about half the amount of the whole meter around 48$ Ea for mine meter was around 100 when I bought it
Any way it’s never if morethen a few points so I’m not sure why some of the peeps have so many issues ?
Al

2 Likes

John, either a bad pH pen or simply bad storage habit, my friend :wink: Some of the “cheaper” pen do not have the quality too, I always recommand that you go with a double digit precision one, or if you prefer, one that have a hundredth of precision, minimum, @Countryboyjvd1971:wink:

2 Likes

Yeah mine reads 100 the expensive one
And I want thinking storage or defcive also @Niala

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096N8OWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc

This is the meter I bought after breaking the cheap yellow one. Its a great pen and is self calibrating. It has foam in the cap which you fill with storage solution. I am really taking care of this pen and no problems so far.

7 Likes

i have the yellow jellas meter and treat it the same as Bob with the same results. stays calbrated pretty well. I have had to adjust twice in 6 months

3 Likes

Looks OK but, I would buy a Hanna or Milwaukee (all I use) I use MW 802. I think it is listed in Buyers guide.

Also Blue Labs is considered by many to have the best meters. Check them out. Will have to get some links going for Blue Labs

5 Likes