ILGM AK-47 fems ScrOG

This one comes fully assembled, or you can purchase individual components and assemble this way would cheaper to do. Both of these fixtures are efficient, and offer passive cooling with no noisy fans. Let us know if any of these options are worth pursuing. @muffybunny @dbrn32 is good at answering the technical questions if you have any. I can show you how I’ve wired my fixture if you need help. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I’m out of likes, sorry guys. What is the make and model of your 600w and 1500w lights? I’d like to go take a look at the light spectrum produced and actual power draw of your current lights. Just to see if I can get an idea of how to best fit them with future options.

@Covertgrower is right, you can save some significant money by doing a little assembly. I’m going to post a little video for you to watch, and let us know what you think. I don’t want to beat a dead horse, so don’t take it that way. But @MattyBear said the same thing, then watched video and said piece of cake.

HLG Quantum Board Kit Review: Part 1 - Assembly - YouTube

If you think you can do that, it will save you around $400 on the what’s pretty much the cutting edge of led lighting for horticulture applications. You can also buy the kits assembled for some savings, or buy that light posted above for like $1050.

Not to say it’s the only option, because it’s definitely not. But that’s the latest craze as far as leds go.

3 Likes

It was easy to put together! If you decide to go with QB’s I could offer some assistance if @dbrn32 isn’t around, but he’s forgotten more than I know about LED technology.

3 Likes

Ouch @Covertgrower . I can’t justify 1k even to myself unless I’m making money doing it (the dream). So I guess I have a budget after all. I’d like to stick closer to 1/2 that probably. @dbrn32 I’ll have to track the 1500 w down. I got it on eBay and eBay recently decided to reset my purchase history for no apparent reason.

The 600 -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071CZ5B5G?tag=greenrel-20

Yes, I overpaid. What an amateur! Lol

I found it, but it’s unbranded and I don’t think I’m allowed to post eBay links am I? Am I allowed to give the info for you to “stumble onto it”?

Ya, if you can even post a couple screenshots of the specs and if they provide a spectral graph?

Feature:
High efficient and much brighter 10W double LEDs. Energy saving led grow light, great replace for the HID/HPS/MH

Power: 1500W Equivalent, actual power comsumption: 340W only, energy saving. Long lifespan up to 50,000hrs

Full Spectrum Red:630nm-660nm; Blue:430nm-470nm; Orange: 590nm-610nm; White:6500K 3500K; IR:730nm; UV:380nm; bring proper wavelength that are beneficial to plants, best for both growing stage and blooming stage

Widely used in greenhouses, plant factory, greenhouse farming, flower farming, indoor gardens, water soluble breeding, pipeline cultivation, farm, potted plants, spray the plant, tissue culture and so on

Specification:

Chips brand: 10W Epistar double chips

Chips Qty: 150pcs (Red 100pcs, Blue 36pcs, orange 2pcs, white 8pcs, UV 2pcs, IR 2pcs, the IR led is not very bright but it’s helpful for flowering)

Power: 1500W, Actual Power Consumption: 340W, consumes less energy and much more brighter

Dimension: 41021072mm (16.14 x 8.27 x 2.83inches)

N.W/G.W: 3.5 KG/4 KG

Coverage Area: about 4x 4.5 Square Feet (The lighting area and the height are changeable according to different plants and environments)

Power Factor: >97%

Lumens:50000lm

Lifespan: >50,000hours

Worldwide Voltage: 85v-265v

Working Frequency: 50~60Hz

Working environment : -20~40??£?45%~95%RH

Package includes:

1X 1500W LED grow light

1X free power cord

1X free hanging hook

Here is how specific wavelength works:

280-315nm: Less influence for plant’s growth.

315-400nm: (UV)Absorb less chlorophyll, prevent stem growth.

400-520nm: (Blue): Absorb much chlorophyll and carotenoid, helpful for photosynthesis.

520-610nm: (Green): Absorb little chlorophyll.

610-720nm: (Red): Increase photosynthesis for plants, help growth.

720-1000nm: (IR): effect flowering and seed.

Over 1000nm: Change to heat.

1 Like

I have a 3rd tent-like structure I use for seedling/germination. The 600 is great for that. On my last grow, I got the 600 thinking it was enough for the 3x3. It wasn’t and that’s when I bought the 1500, which was great. I knew it, all by itself wouldn’t be enough for the 5x5. I knew this issue was coming as soon as I had the 5x5 set up. The current configuration in both tents is sustaining them. They’re bushy and healthy. Just short. My instinct is to put the 600 back where it works… germ/seed/clone, put the current 1500 in the 3x3, where I know from my last grow, it’s enough. That leaves me with a blank slate to figure for the 5x5.

1 Like

Oddly enough, you’re probably exactly right. The 600 is like 130 watts power consumption, not really enough to do much alone even in the 3x3. The other light would probably do ok in the 3x3 by itself if you’re looking to have vegging plants in there. I’m not sure it would have the power to create solid buds through flowering stage by itself though. So if you want to use your spaces that way with that light configuration, it should probably work out fairly well.

As far as the 5x5 goes, it’s an awfully large space to do anything cheaply in. Did you get a chance to watch that video I linked on the quantum board assembly?

1 Like

Firing up the tv right now to watch it there

@dbrn32 I watched it. It seems over my head, but I do have a friend that can help. However, I went to the HLG site to price it out and dang! They have a 320w for $450 and still won’t cut it for a 4x4 scrog in flower. It says 2x4 for flower. I love this hobby but can’t drop another grand on it unless it’s my business. Some day! Is there an alternative to HLG? I’m not opposed to the panel kit idea. Just want it cheaper. Don’t we all. Lol

There’s definitely other options. I was going to suggest two of the xl 260 watt kits if you decided to go that route. For a 4x4 space two of those kits would have similar par levels to having a 1000 watt hps fixture in there. That’s where the watt measure becomes a little tricky. The reason those are so costly is because of the amount of light per watt they emit. There’s a lot of fallacy behind the led tech. Things like they’re automatically equivalent to hid with less Watts, they run cooler, they produce more and stuff like that. While that can be true, it’s not automatic just because you have leds. A good example of that is your 600w led fixture right? I’m sure it was advertised as big enough to grow your 3x3 space, but it didn’t exactly work out that way. That’s why you hear people talk about actual Watts per square foot, led efficiency, and light spectrum. All of those things are important, and the better they get the prices usually go up. I try to avoid using the term because it’s not an absolute, but in a sense, you usually get what you pay for. Or maybe a better a term is sometimes more up front pays dividends down the road.

Par is photosynthetic active radiation, and is measured in umols. On a umol per dollar level the best value is pacific light concepts plc-6. It’s $800 and usually out of stock. The next best option for a reasonable amount of money is quantum boards. That’s why you see a few of us kind of point you in that direction. As @Covertgrower posted, pre built hang and plug in for 4x4 space is $1050. Not in a lot of people’s budget. To combat that, they offer those kits. With some minor assembly you can save a little bit of cash. If you break all of the parts down and source them separately there’s a little more savings. But for someone who is not exactly comfortable the kits are the best option.

Not doing a diy and not spending a ton of cash, your options are going to be pretty much limited to the typical amazon fixtures. There’s nothing wrong with that. I just like to point out that you’re not really getting a better deal that way, you’re pretty much just sacrificing cost for performance. If that’s where you want to be, I’d be happy to recommend a couple of them.

I do maybe have a third scenario I’d like to run by you. You’ve been to hlg and checked out the kits, how plausible would it be to maybe grab that 260 watt xl kit and throw it together with your friends help. Then run a grow in a portion of that 5x5 with it to see how it does, and if you’re happy with it grab another down the road?

1 Like

@muffybunny sorry about the prices, but we had to start somewhere. Sky is the limit when you said the budget was open.

3 Likes

Check out viperspectra lights fair price, great warranty 3 years. I have 2 600w they work great and have one of the highest power consumption rates at 275 w ive done 3 grows from seed to weed no problems with flowering i grow in 4x4 tent

2 Likes

Great lookong grow. I just started my first attempt at a scrog can’t wait to see how it goes.

2 Likes

Day 59 - Veg Day 41 (wk 6 d 6)

The pics don’t really show it because I’d just squashed/bent/arranged, but they’ve all gotten about 1.5” taller. Slow, but happening and the color and overall health are fantastic across the board. I’m close on choosing lights. I’m working on a pair of viparspectras on eBay. I want a deal and I’m being kinda hardline about it because that’s how my dad taught me. Lol

General Hydroponics

Nectar for the Gods

Heavy16

Mills

The Heavy and the Mills are beasts! Still shorter than I wish, but taller than the GH and NftG. Their trunks are fat and healthy. Tons of future bud sites. I can’t wait to see what they all do under better lighting. While I was typing this, the viparspectra guy countered again and I’m not giving in. So, my next choice is a set of Hi-Sdard. Order placed. They’ll be here Wednesday. :sunny:

3 Likes

Looking good! Are you gonna wait to flower until you get the new lights?

2 Likes

@MattyBear even longer than that. I need more height before I can scrog. Right now there wouldn’t be room to get between the net and the tops of the pots to water. I’ll wait as long as it takes. Impatience is my weakness and I’m determined to overcome it this time. I’m hopeful that the 2 bigger ones will be ready to scrog in the next week or 2. The 2 smaller ones, I wonder if I should give up the scrog idea. They just aren’t progressing like the other 2. I’m not going to decide anything until after at least 1 week, more likely 2, under the new lighting set up.

The 2 in the 3x3 will get my current 1500w led, which is what I used in that tent last grow for 3 plants. So I know that tent will be good to go. That’s where the shorty girls are. The 2 in the 5x5 are each getting their own 1000w. On paper, they should rock, but led sellers are either liars or they’re testing with plants that are super prolific no matter what you do to them (stonecrop, mint, morning glories, etc.). I feel like all I can do is leap and hope. I found tons of great reviews for the brand I went with. The bad ones tended to be about defect, not performance. If they’re defective, I’ll send them back. Unwanted hassle, but tech is imperfect. Stuff breaks. As long as the vendor makes it right, no harm. It’s Amazon, so…

In my shopping travels, I’ve noticed a consistent failure to list actual draw and/or lumens. I’m guessing that’s on purpose. We’ll see what happens. If they aren’t enough, I’ll give them to my mom for her non-mj indoor garden. Then I will probably bite the financial bullet and get quantums with my tax return.

2 Likes

Impatience is something I deal with too! You’re plants are looking really nice and I completely understand about the QB costs. We all do what we can, when we can.

1 Like

Day 61 - Veg Day 43 (wk 7 d 1)

I believe I may be in business on lights now

The 3x3 with the 1500w. This light only has 1 setup - on/off I set the height at 20”. I’ll adjust as necessary. Going from a 600w at 12-14” to the 1500w, I’m worried about burn, so I’ll see what happens.

The 5x5 with the 2 1000w. These have veg and/or bloom. Is that really a thing? That blue light seems like it would be ineffective. At any rate, that’s the setting I used and put them at 14”.

Any thoughts on heights and veg/bloom settings anyone? At this point, I’m guessing and watching closely.

3 Likes