I have a question about autos

I got some WW auto seeds from ILGM. I have some miracle grow for seedlings and was planning on putting it around 3 inches deep in 3 gallon buckets and filling the bottom of my buckets with potting soil. I was wondering if I would need to use any Big Bloom since their life span is so short or just wait for like 30 days and use only Grow big and Tiger bloom like half strength? It’s an outdoor grow. Thanks!

1 Like

@EarlyPearl. No no no miracle grow

4 Likes

I was told on here that miracle grow soil for seedlings was OK. I wouldn’t use it for my medium. The potting soil would be for that. I figured it would have enough nutes to get me through the first 25 to 30 days. Also, I start all my seedlings in it and have done well. This is my first time growing autos though.

@EarlyPearl. Now here is why. Miracle grow soil is what they call too hot. Meaning there is too much nutrients in there for seedlings. Also, it is time released over I believe 6 months. Now, if you were gonna vegg a plant for say 5 months to use up all the nutes, then ok. But, you are growing autos. So a lot of people use fox farms happy frog, or ocean forest. Something like that. But y want to let the auto grow for about a month so it can use up all the nutes in the soil (should be all it needs) not positive though, I grow in coco. MJ wants nitrogen in vegg and more pk in bloom with less n but anyways, let the plant use up the provided nutes in the soil before you add any. Autos are picky, and if you stunt them then your yield with be nil

2 Likes

Now, a couple times, when I first started growing, I’ve used miracle grow soil. But I am positive everyone says not to use it. When a seedlings first pop up, those two small round leaves have enough nutes in them to get them going. I’ve never personally grown, or started autos in mg so this is just my opinion from what I’ve read, which is a lot

1 Like

Thanks for the input and I appreciate it.

@EarlyPearl. Yeah, miracle grow won’t be good. Again, I believe it’s time released and autos normally switch gears after about a month and start to flower and I think the remaining nitrogen in it will message with the flowering cycle. I’ll tag a few people for you, just give them at least a day to respond. I don’t know where you are but it’s getting late in the states

@Countryboyjvd1971. I think you grow autos, you too @Hogmaster. Can you help this person out. Maybe you too @dbrn32

1 Like

Thanks again, I’m in the Appalachian Mountains.

3 Likes

All right. Appalachian outlaw. I hated that show, had to have been scripted. Farming country myself. Love it

2 Likes

I dont watch much TV. I grow corn, green beans, tomatoes, etc. I live off the land. I had a supervisor at work about 25 years a go ask all of us what we would need to survive in life and I told her about 25 acres of land. I think I could of been right.

3 Likes

That’s the dream right? Install solar panels, grow your own veggies, hunt your own meat. I tell my ole lady all the time, I swear I was born in the wrong century. I know I like the forum here, but I think, "I wonder what the kids now a days would do if the internet shut down for a couple days

5 Likes

I had a wife one time, but her husband came and got her. I’m still thinking my setup will work though. I would think seedling soil would be very mild on nutes.

6 Likes

I know there’s a mg seed starter that’s reasonable to use, is that what we’re talking about?

If you layer in like the bottom half of your pot with a proper soil and then top off with that seed starter you shouldn’t need to feed at all for a little bit, few weeks probably. The starter leaves on plant will feed until roots have a chance to get down into soil. As long as it’s a relatively fertile soil in the bottom, that should contain enough to feed a couple of weeks. After that I would pick up the fox farms schedule where you’re at.

You want to make sure that when you place your seed or taproot it’s not too deep though.

4 Likes

I plant about a 1/4 inch deep and that’s why I thought 3 inches would get the girls through the first few weeks without adding any nutes. I could be wrong.

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GTDIDBU?tag=greenrel-20

Gotcha. I misread and thought you were planting 3” deep sorry. I don’t want to sound like a hypocrite, because I rarely use mine. But even a cheap digital ppm meter will help you out with when to feed. It takes a lot of the guessing out.

I usually use ffof soil that I cook off on grill for a bit, and then mix with something to help fight compaction. Perlite, coco, or even a soilless mix. And it will still be good for a couple weeks. If you went straight with a decently amended soil, I’d say more like 3-4 weeks. But there’s so many variables that can change things up, so it can be different from grower to grower.

When I’m doubt, it’s always easier to wait a little longer on feed than to fry a plant in my opinion.

2 Likes

Good info. I just figured it might work, I grow for my family and friends. I’m not trying to impress anyone. I grew some Strawberry Kush from here the last 2 years and they were impressed.It’s all good thanks.

3 Likes

It surely does, plenty of people layer growing media. I’m just not one of them.

1 Like

I understand.