How often to water coco coir

i like using coco croutons large or medium size they hold water well and have a good drainage properties more like hydroton/coco husk hybrid there isnt much info on watering schedules for it but ive been mastering the medium so i can share my research with all and let me tell you im blown away by how well the plants are acting allows you to flood and drain every 3 hours in flower and the plants love having the constant water and nutrients being delivered using cal-mag and elite nutrients first run looking as good as any professional grow ive seen online and the trichome production is off the charts i would love to upload pics but i cant right now maybe ill have someone do it for me i would reccomend using coco husk croutons to anybody considering using coco coir as a medium

all and all i can say i will not be switching anytime soon ti anything but coco croutons large or medium like the prococo husk mix has fibers chunks etc. just flush it well i got about .3 ec of disolved solids out of it then soaked in a cal-mag solution for 2 days before use in system ph balanced etc,
hope this helps anyone trying to find the very best properties of a medium.

1 Like

I’m using a coco blend that looks like dirt and I really like it. Maybe ill try the croutons on a future grow. I look forward to following your progress.
:v::green_heart:

1 Like

Alright gents, I’m still quite confused by this.

At first for me it was feed, feed then really light feed at about 1.0/0.3 ec during veg allowing them to dry out till its noticibly lighter before feeding or watering again.

I started to get a deficiency (mag) but it was right before flower when I’d step the nutes up anyways so I waited before buying calmag as my ec for my tap water is quite high anyways and just skipped the watering and jest fed them.

Now I’m in my 5th week of flower (flipped em 6th Nov)they were on 1.4 ec for 3 weeks and now they’ve been getting cal mag for the past 2 weeks knocking up the ec to about 1.5/6 and it still hasn’t completely gone but now I feel it may be nute lock out but it’s only the mag deficiency still and the top leaves are starting to become quite dark like early nitrogen toxicity but not real signs of burn :s

Any one know what the best solution would be? Any help would be great!

Also does every body drain the run off or allow it to be absorbed back in?

Where’s the coco master when you need him lolololol I’m also in coco and been hearing a lot of different things so what I’m gone do is buy more seeds and if I fxxx up I know not to try that again and go another way with it…but ass of right now I’m feeding all week and flushing with what my nutrients came with and hoping they don’t start tripping lolololol

My schedule is nutes, water, repeat. They get something every day and the excess is removed. On water days, cal mag is added. I don’t know if this is the “correct” way to handle the nutes in coco but my plants are amazing. Everyone says when the plants are happy, keep doing what you’re doing - so that’s what I’m doing😉

5 Likes

Give me an example of what your nutes regiment started as and how often/much it increased by?

My pals on a commercial thing n he told me straight 1.0 ec on cuttings during veg and don’t go above 1.6 during flower but he goes straight from 1.0 to 1.6 no increments, feed, feed then water.

The Fact they’ve had slight nute burns while also havin the mag Def confuses me specially now it’s been getting 1ml of calmag per litre of water for a few weeks lol

1 Like

I’m in coco. I nute water every day, just in small amounts and weaker doses. Right now I’m veg week 2 and giving them 1 cup a day at 25% what the manufacturers’ feedcharts say and at exactly the ph the charts say. I don’t track ec at all - I’m not recommending that, just stating that’s what I do. You cannot think of coco as dirt. It’s not. It’s hydro. Instead of a pump cycling your nutes and water constantly in a bucket, you are manually running it through. And it does run through, leaving everything it ran through damp with what it will live on until you do it again. It’s not drowning in a pool of suffocating water. Make sense? Believe me I struggled with this concept too. I almost killed them. Further up in this thread are my comments from my 1st grow. When you’re used to dirt gardening and it looks and feels so similar to dirt, it tough to break that mindset.

With that said, I throw in a day of rest every week where I do nothing but look at them and talk to them. I have no basis for this really. If I had to name a reason, it’s in the name. Let them rest. See how they react to it. Sometimes there’s benefit in what you don’t do. I also may be full of crap and it’s more of a superstition. Lol

2 Likes

@Thatgingerpothead @Nell1 What nutes are you using and what is mixed it with your coco for aeration? It’s usually perlite, but not always. Mine is coco and cork shavings.

Your tds values can safely come down. I’m in the end stages of a coco grow that saw a veg tds of 800 to 900 ppm (.4 ec) and in flower 1,100 to 1,300 ppm or. 5 to .6 ec.

My plants are the healthiest buggers you ever saw!

Most people run too high a solution concentration. Lower numbers and always water to runoff. Whether you are on a feed feed water schedule or something else, let the plant tell you what it likes.

5 Likes

Your post didn’t make any sense at all yet somehow it did.

1 Like

I’m using Cyco and I’m in a 70/30 mix perlite

2 Likes

I’m using general hydroponics flora micro, grow, bloom. I started feeding when the round leaves had yellowed, with less than half the amounts recommended on the labels. After a bit it was bumped up to half then full strength. I don’t usually test for td or ppm though I do adjust the pH after the nutes are added. The three girls split 2 gallons daily and the excess is extracted with a wet vac.

Disclaimer… I’m not really sure if I’ve answered your questions and I wouldn’t claim this method or feed schedule is the way to do it in each situation. I feel like I’ve had the best beginners luck :wink:

2 Likes

@Nell1 I’m intrigued with cyco. I’ve researched it and want to check it out some grow. They had a rep at my garden shop’s open house and he was one of the few freely talking about what we’re really all growing. No “tomato” talk. Anyway, as long as there’s aeration, like I said… every day for me. I’m sure a grow could be completely successful with less. It’s just my preference. Frequently I think growing mj is more about being consistent once you choose your method. One of the things I like about every day is that I love growing and I am doing something every day. And they love it. If they didn’t, I’d stop.

This is my Mills Nutrients plant…

2 Likes

I like GH and let’s see some pics of how they look I’m fina post mines with cyco

Ok here a pic of my girl in cyco

3 Likes

I’m using canna a and b. And a cal mag I can’t remember the line tbh it’s what they had in my local shop at the time :joy: My ph sits around the 6 mark but if you’re flowering and feeding under 1.0 ex maybe I’ll bring it down a touch but so far the mag def seems to be progressing. Think I’m gonna give em a big flush and start feeding 1.1. Here’s a question for ya’s though! My cal mag says keep the same nutes regiment and add this on top but it’s kinda. Nitrogen heavy at 3.8/0/0 should my feed be brought down when I add it so if my aim is 1.0 for example should I add less or get to that and then add the calmag anyways?

1 Like

these are mine btw [quote=“DieHigh55, post:1, topic:10994, full:true”]
these are my girls this was a few days ago

2 Likes

Your ppm is low for coco. EC of 1.0 is 500 ppm. I’m on the low end of the nutrient chart and my EC is 1.6 in veg and higher in late flower.

Ph should be 5.5 to 5.8.

Canna a and b, calmag and the mix is about 70/30 apart from 2 of them as I ran out n thought I’d see the difference which so far there isn’t really any that I can see compared to my last few grows lol cheers for linking me to that diary looks like a super nice harvest!

My ec is 1.4 ATM I was gonna bring it down cuz you mentioned lower nutes for yours? Lol looks like I’m sticking at 1.4. All I know is my pals running a very successful commercial grow and another has a small personal one both said the same no more than 1.0 for veg and no more than 1.6 for flower lol. What do you suggest?