How is my Plant doing?

@krackyz,

The roots will grow through the holes and end up in the reservoir on the bottom.

@latewood can chime in if he wants, as maybe he some experience with some of these type pots, but as I said, any “pooling” or sitting stagnating water is not good around an indoor cannabis grow. You are just giving places for fungus gnats, molds, mildew, and potentially even worse pathogens and pests to get a foot hold in your grow.

I started with using similar “self-watering” pots too, like way back in my beginning, like 17 plus years ago. And I always had problems with fungus gnats, it was pretty horrible, and I also kept wondering why my plants kept getting sick, until I discovered my plants were having all the symptoms that come along with over-watering.

I understand the feeling of “but I paid good money for these pots!” and I’m not exactly telling you what you want to hear, lol. But I would rather the good money and time you invest in the plants works out for you than tell you something that I’m not sure about. These might have a better design and maybe work better than the ones I used – almost 20 years ago, but I still wouldn’t let water sit in the tray(reservoir) at the bottom.

~MacG

All I can say, is that I used that type pot, and had excellent grows. I think of the water in the reservoir as the same as bato buckets, or simplified hydroponics with a 1’-2" weep hole.

However; This is soil…right?..And with that said; What I did was add a layer of rock in the bottom to proactively allow for oxygen in the bottom of the root zone. I also put the ppot in a “Saucer”, even though it had a reservoir. I did this so I could fill it untill it overflowed. Then I did not have to water for almost 3-4 days in Veg, and 2-3 days during flower.

I would sweat it. I woudl grow it. If it does not appear to you as a good gorw method. Adapt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Okay that sounds great! I will add rocks to the first layer of soil before i transplant them. Unfortunately, i was not able to water it for three days and i saw my plants in a dehdrated state and one spider mite crawling on the outside of the pot. Is there anyway to use like an aqua globe to maintain self watering?
Based on how fast the water is being absorbed i think its time to transplant.

The problem is; That you have only half the pot filled with soil. This would be real easy of you had an extra pot.

Gently remove from current pot and set on some newspaper. Add some well rinsed lava rock, or any nice clean small rock and fill 1/2 way up in those pots you have. Set the plant back into pot on new soil, and back fill. Generously water in.

Now your plants will maintain moisture for an extra day or 2…For now. Plants will fill out after new roots migrate into the new soil, and then you will need to transplant into bigger pots.

If you replant into bigger pots now, with plants as is; You are wasting good soil. Happy Growing, :slight_smile:

Hi latewood,

As per your instructions i pulled out the plants added rocks i rinsed with water and added some more soile before putting my plant cake back in the i topped it with more soil and i filled it with water.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Why the leaves are looking like this?

Hi Latewood,

Should i remove those bottom leaves which are curling? So the Green and Blue plants are nearing one foot. I’m running out of ideas on how to raise the lights to keep them 2 inches away. I plan to have move them to the bigger pots i guess in a week or two once they stabilize. Is there anything else i should worry about for these plants?

When you transplant try to fill the pot close o the top, it will give you more root room. When I change pots I wet the soil some so it sticks together around the roots.

You can remove damaged leaves; Especially any that are below the main secondary branches. I do generally clear this out. I do it for air circulation. This helps keep down pests, too. Just be careful and do not do your 1st re-potting in too large a pot. Happy growing

Hi Latewood,

I was still planning to put it in this pot for the next transplant. Do you think it will be a problem?

Not as long as you The plant tin the little pot is planted way too deep in the pot. Make sure you fill the pot up, so plant is 1/2" below rim of pot. Peace

Hi latewood, i got it. So here is my most recent picture taken this morning.

Should i remove the twisted leaves highlighted?

Also, the plants survive the weekend but become really dry, but i will be going on a trip for 5 plus days soon. So should i get an aqua globe since no one will be able to help me water them?

Hi Latewood,

Here is a picture of how my plants are currently doing. Should i continue to let them grow or are some of them ready to go to flowering?

1. i also noticed that the roots are growing down through the drain holes to get water, (pass the rocks and soil) see picture below. Is there anything i should do to keep these roots alive?

Personally, I would go with bigger pots, and also use smart pots, but that’s just my preference. The fabric pots allow for air-pruning, so the plants don’t get root-bound.

I like the air pots, or whatever they are called too, but you cannot change what our friend here has…No need to waste time advocating for something that this grower is not using.

Hey K,

Remind me of the soil and nutrients you are using. Plants look like they need some nutrients, or are being over watered. Do you have any Liquid Karma? I always water in re-potted plants with Liquid Karma. :slight_smile:

…Just sayin’…

~MacG

Hi latewood im usong the following.

Hi mac g and latewood thanks for your input as well. Truth be told i have had left the plants for 3 to 5 days unwatered before due to vacation so this is why you see the bottome leaves all malnourished. If you look at the top of the plants they are green and healthy looking.

Is this plant ready for flower stage? I am planning on reporrting them to the big pot soon.

Id say they arent long into there veg state you have a while before they are ready to flower… U will notice early preflowers forming on the third or fourth nodes i think a week or so after this they should be ready but i think all plants are different so you have to go with what you thinks best for your plants health but those are defo not at flowering stage… I am only a basic user on my first grow so take what i say with a pinch of salt but i have only in thd last few days introduced my girls on a12 hour flowering cycle