Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550

What I was suggesting was running 6 boards in that area as opposed to 4. So there would be two boards in the 4’ direction and three boards in the 6’ direction. Instead of using three 240 drivers to run all 6 you would use two 320 watt drivers.

That would keep your par levels closer to ideal in that area and allow the boards to run a little more efficiently.

1 Like

That’s perfect. What do you think the cost on the build for 24 boards would be? What size breaker would be good? I’m new too led and want to try them out.

I guess I ment to say parts list, I wouldn’t know the best configuration of heat sinks, slate 3?, driver model and things of that nature. Thanks again.

Like $600 in drivers, $1600 in boards, and another $500 ish in heatsinks. Just guessing another few hundred for frame, mounting hardware, wire, power cords and miscellaneous stuff.

I’d have to go look, but I’m sure titan has a controller you could run all 8 drivers from something like 240 volt 50 amp circuit. Otherwise you’d probably want four 20 amp.

2 Likes

Yea found one, titan has that controller like you mentioned. 240 volt and 50 amp breaker. What model drivers, heatsinks and q.b (304?)., and dimmers, should i get? I see some with different pins. As for the misc stuff, what is used for the frame, and mounting? What size wire would work? Do I need Molex connectors. Extremely new as you can tell but I tried putting parts list and there’s too many options for me to not fumble the order.

If you wanna do three boards per driver in series wiring, you’ll need the qb 288. The driver to get the most out of them will be hlg-320h-c1750. If you want remote dimming the driver model number will end with “b”, so hlg-320h-c1750b. Heatsinks I would go with slate 2 or slate 6 both rated for 150 watts per board. If you get the triple board sink, there wouldn’t really be any need for a frame. Mount 3 boards and driver to each and you can hang as own fixture. If you want single boards and to make frame, most of use 1/8” aluminum angle. Get 18awg solid conductor rated for at least 300 volts for the boards. Get something like a 14-16 awg 3 conductor power cable for intput side of driver. You can use two port wagos on dc side, and waterproof barrel connector for driver to power cord connection. If you go with remote dimming drivers, you’ll need a 100k potentiometer to dim each driver too.

Obviously, different boards would need driver. So you can do something else, but will change other things too.

1 Like

@dbrn32 Thank you a lot, your help is priceless… can’t say it enough. I think q.b. Will be the only thing scarce to find for the moment. Can’t wait to dig into something new like this. May even replace the t-5 for veg. :v:

1 Like

Depending on area, the smaller boards work real good for that. Like the qb 120 4000k. They’re usually available in 4 packs on amazon

1 Like

Yes that is exactly what I’m looking at for mothers, looked at my t-5 and says 465 watts and my little t5 is 96 watts…after looking into parts I ordered the qb120, and am considering qb96 to replace my small t5. They com in packs of three and was thinking of four qb96. Hope they good for seeds.

1 Like

Lots of options with the drivers tho…:frowning:…so I’m trying to figure that out at the moment.

1 Like

For a qb 120? I can find you driver. Do you know if board has molex connectors or the dc barrel jack? They’re available with both.

1 Like

Wow…thanks. They have Molex connectors.

Gimme a few

1 Like

So you just need a driver for the one qb 120 right?

1 Like

On the qb120 I want to find one I can run to wall outlet, 120volt, that runs four boards and is dimmable? I am also trying to find a driver (or other options) for the qb96 that I can plug into the wall, 120v. I want to control two 96 boards at a time total of four and be able to turn off two if I need to.

They have qb 96 for sale by itself? I hadn’t seen that.

1 Like

Meanwell hlg-240h-c2100 will run 4 qb 120’s in series up to about 50 watts per board. Available with built in dimmer 50-100% or remote dimming to hook up your own dimmer. You’ll just need to figure that out, and will need a 120v plug attached to input side.

I haven’t seen specs yet on qb 96 sorry. But in order to do what you’re looking for, you would need 2 separate drivers.

1 Like

I seen packs of three at the hlg site for 75 or something. I would just have to buy 6 boards and have two extra boards, maybe give to a buddy to try out.

Okay for the driver on the 120 boards, the a and b at the end denote dimmable and non dimmable? So I would go with th b version? Thanks again.

Nope, they’re both dimmable. A has built in dimmer. B has remote dimming leads, and requires you to hook up your own dimmer.

1 Like