Horticulture Lighting Group HLG 550

Interesting design. unless you are adding the 3rd channel in red I would just stick with the QB boards. Just because wiring 3 channels could become difficult for a beginner
@dbrn32 @Rugar89

1 Like

Depends a lot on the application for sure. But I was thinking the opposite lol. Even if you went with all white, wiring the 3 channels in series isnā€™t really any different than wiring 3 boards in series right?

I think if you went with the reds on 3rd channel it becomes more difficult. Due to the different fv and current rating, you would definitely want to run channels 1 and 2 from one driver and channel 3 with the reds from a separate driver. Then you would just plug in red driver when you flipped light schedule. But agreeing with you, this becomes a quite advanced setup here. Especially running multiple boards, it could become a wiring mess fairly quickly.

I think there are some advantages to be had with the cutter board. Like better spread and more available output. But theyā€™re not advantages that will apply to everyoneā€™s ideal lighting. Either way, Iā€™ll never complain about having more options.

In @Rugar89 case, going with all white he still has the option of mixing 2 different color temps. And 4 of the cutter boards can easily provide good coverage for his application, which would essentially fix the multi driver issue. But having to source and fab heatsinks is a real pain in the butt compared to buying ready to go.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 @MAXHeadRoom

So what are the chances we can make this set up work with separate timers?
Really wanting to go this route if you guys think it will work.
Other thought was going to two 4x4s, but am really wanting a 5x5. Two 4x4s would really raise the price tag up.
If 6 304 boards on timers didnā€™t work, I could always get two more 304 boards and 1 more driver and have a light for each 4x4 tent.

They had 4 slate 3s in stock last night (all gone now), but wanted $17 shipping. Didnā€™t want to pay that much for shipping twice when they become available again. Most likely would still be the same shipping price to send all 6 at once.

Thoughts?

6 QB 304 Quantum Boards @ $75.00 X 6 = $450
6 Slate 3Heatsinks @ $12.50 x 6 = $75
3 HLG 240H-C1050B Drivers @ $69.00 x3 = $207.00
3 Cased Potentiometer with Knob @ $6.00 x3 = $18.00
3 3-Prong US Power Cord (6ā€™) @ $3.00 x3 = $9.00
Misc. connectors and wire $10.00?
Aluminum for building light frame $25.00?

My battery is about to die, but Iā€™ll try to respond later.

1 Like

I bought 4 QB 304 (3000K) boards last night and 4 slate 3 heat sinks, I was just waiting at 6 when they said there was a re-stock. most of the stock sold out in hours. You have to be fast to get what you want, So you will have until next re-stock to figure it out

4 Likes

OK @Rugar89, sorry about the delay. I just knew there wasnā€™t going to be a short answer haha.

Personally, I think the timer staggering will work. But I donā€™t know for sure. @HappyCamper may have just run into a similar issue, and I believe he has a light built. So we can kind of see what happens over there?

As it sits, Iā€™m somewhere above 50/50 leaning optimistic. I come into a hang up with a couple different things. You have 2 15 amp circuits right? Would you be able to dedicate one entirely to the lighting? Or could we run 2 drivers from one circuit, and 1 from a different circuit? If you figure when 2 of the drivers are powered it will be consuming 1/3 of the available power, would the inrush current of the 3rd be enough to trip the breaker? Iā€™m still not sureā€¦ what else do you have that would need to run on your available power? Most fans arenā€™t too bad on consumption, but they also have high inrush current on start up. Just like ac and dehumidifiers. If youā€™re using any of them, they could all create potential issues.

My biggest concern is you dropping all that cash, and then it wonā€™t work. What would be your course of action then? I think this is where the decision needs to be made. You can sacrifice 5-10 watts per board now and go with the 288 diode boards 3 per driver, or plan on potentially having to have some electrical work done. It really makes no difference to me which way you go, Iā€™ll continue to help anywhere I can. The cash is coming from your pocket, and you need to be happy in the end.

Weā€™re the potā€™s coming from hlg as well? Iā€™m just wondering if they have an option to dim all 3 from one pot. So far Iā€™ve only found mixed information.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 your thinking sounds like the thoughts in my head on nights I canā€™t sleepā€¦ Iā€™m hope youā€™re not losing sleep over this. Itā€™s the worst.

1 Like

@Covertgrower

I have a feeling that @dbrn32 doesnā€™t loose any sleep over this stuff. I think he eats and breathes this stuff! And I truly appreciate all the help, effort, and advise that he provides!

1 Like

Well I do consider it fun, and no I definitely didnā€™t lose any sleep lol. But I think some beer helped that along. @Covertgrower

4 Likes

I live, eat, sleep maintenance. (My occupation) But sometimes when Iā€™m engineering things, a lot of unsolved variables affect my sleep. Even though in reality I have the problem solved, I just over think it and I create problems. @Rugar89 @dbrn32 Iā€™ve read through his LED post, and understand most of it. Iā€™ve considered making LED panels, for automotive uses, now horticulture lighting? Why not? Itā€™s something Iā€™m considering, because LEDā€™s are here to stay. I remember when they first started coming out. Theyā€™ve come along wayā€¦ (shows my age a little right there)

3 Likes

@Covertgrower there are so many options, itā€™s almost silly not to. Especially with your background. I spent the first half of my working days doing industrial maintenance. Then automation, and now i kind of do a little both.

Whatever youā€™re thinking, I probably have at least tinkered with it a little, and I can probably at least help with some ideas. The first couple of lights I built were using colored discrete diodes. Then I did one with white xml2, and quite a few cob builds since. Within the last couple months I did a couple with Samsung and bridgelux strip too. A buddy is planning on doing something with pcb boards maybe next year, but I havenā€™t built any yet. They are pretty much condensed strips, so same process applies.

If you want to throw around some ideas just let me know, Iā€™d be happy to help.

1 Like

@dbrn32 I appreciate that. I glanced at some of the pricing for LED/driver building and i thought it would be best as a first time grower to purchase a premade unit and then learn from there. At least financially, because it was a set price. Not a ā€œoh now I need that tooā€ kind of thing. I glanced on Amazon, and e of bay for a few LEDā€™s and drivers. I wasnā€™t confident with out crunching numbers whether I could get something that would work well. Those panels you purchased looks high end, and would work very well. Iā€™ll have to scroll back up to research some of the LED links that you posted. Iā€™ll be sure to tag you if I decide to build my own. Ps I have a local boat building shop with unlimited shapes and sizes for sources of aluminumā€¦

1 Like

It really comes down to what youā€™re trying to do, and in how big of an area. If youā€™re somewhat flexible, you can usually typically get into some pretty good stuff for $1 a watt or less.

What I try to suggest is starting small. Rather than lighting for a 5x5 Scrog on your first build, light a 2x2. Or even a corner of your 5x5. Obviously not everyone is growing in a 2x2 or 5x5, but something that applies to a relatively small investment and commitment.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 $1 watt doesnā€™t sound bad. I should take your advice start small, problem with that is, I thought I was going small by planting 15 plants! Man did I learn that wasnā€™t small. Time commitment is the biggest issue, I donā€™t have a lot to myself after work. But DIY Lighting in my opinion is best, because itā€™s engineered to what your specifications are, and exactly how much you need. COB LEDā€™s I think are where itā€™s at. I would like to build a light compareable to a the illumitex light. But for cheaper and brighter.

1 Like

I have one 15amp circuit powering two rooms. And its loaded heavy as it is.

Currant tent with 400 true watt light and fans running.
12000 BTU AC Unit.
My PC
TV and Cable box
Two stand up fans
and three lamps.

Another option though.
IF we could run three 240H-C1050 Drivers on one 20amp circuit, even if we had to hook up three timers (probably only need two?) How much of that would I loose if I was to run a 75ā€™ extention cord from the pool circuit into the house to run the new tent on? Might be able to run both tents off that circuit with nothing else running on it? Nothing runs on it right now.

@dbrn32 @MAXHeadRoom

Canā€™t you just add a new breaker to you fuse box

As in replace the 15amp with a 20amp? Would the existing wiring handle that? Or are you saying run new wiring to the room? If the latter how would I get it there? Its all run in the walls.
@MAXHeadRoom

So what Iā€™m saying is the fuse box has your breakers in it. Just add another breaker. And yes you will have to run it through the wall. How far is the room from your fuse box and is it up stairs or downstairs

Fuse box is on the complete opposite side of the house. I would have to go thru 4 rooms to get there. That wouldnā€™t be a option.

Do you have a basement