Help setting up grow room

Hi Jheezy,
How have you been?. I hope all is well with you. My girls are doing good. Just started the vegetative stage. Out of the six planted only 5 grew. Lighting, humidity, and temps look good. Lighting schedule 18/6. I have been watering every other day 8 oz per plant, plus checking the soil for dryness. The Fox Farm Ocean Forest is working well and the PH levels look good. My question is when should I start feeding?. I have the dyna grow you use, but haven’t started it because the fox farm has a lot of good nutrients. My thought on feeding is wait until my plants get more leaves on them and are a little more hearty before starting any fertilizer. What are your thoughts on that approach?.
Regards
Rick0662

2 Likes

With autos in fox farm soil I’d go light on any pre flower nutrients. I wait until it has like four sets of leaves. I’d say the soil will keep it happy until it starts to flower. Maybe start nutes at 3-4 weeks? After battling heat since April now I’m wondering about the cold. Got to be 45 last night. So much for my prediction on a warm fall season. Plants should be fine as my cabinet has been about 75 but my outside worms may have to come inside
Probably want to water more less often I usually give plant a half gallon drink every 2-3 days Wetting the soil will allow for roots to grow farther and stronger.

May need to zoom. I was using 2ml doses

Didn’t think about how old they are. 8oz good for a little sprout.

Thanks for all of your help.

Jheezy,
My girls are doing great. My question is some of them are at different heights. One is taller than the other 4. Should I be raising the light if the tallest reaches the light first or wait until the others catch up.

Thanks
Rick0662

I’d just bend it over and secure it with padded garden wire I lst a bunch

My tallest plant is about 6 inches from the bottom of the light. When I checked on my girls they all look like they are catching except one. All of them look healthy and my PH is around a 7 or less. I have to honestly say that the fox farm soil has worked out great, I have not had to add nutes yet. I suppose when they begin to bloom I will use some nutes. So when all my plants reach the light, that’s when I raise the light to 18-20 inches above the plants?.
Regards,
Rick0663

I never let them get that high I’ll measure tonight. They are sleeping right now. Lighting at night with the lower temps. Yeah I lst the crap outta them so never get to the light. Bending over main stem in veg creates more colas and when a branch gets too high I bend over so height stays about the same. Try googling light sweet spot or something like that to see if there’s a diagram for light penetration. I wing it a lot
“Fools go where angels fear to tread”
Ps. I’m a fool

Thank you for all of your help. Please let me know on the height of the light.

Got any pix of setup?

1 Like

nice setup! If I could make one suggestion…I would place the temp/humidity monitor down by the plants…maybe clip it on the edge of a pot… this way you have a more accurate reading of what the plants are experiencing

1 Like

Thanks I will do that. So is it normal to have different growth heights on these autos.

Hi
I am a first time grower. I am growin 3-Ak47’s and 3 white widows. Out of the autos planted 5 grew and one did not. My question is about different grow heights. Currently my Viparspectra 600 is 18-20 inches above my plants. It has been suggested to bend the tall ones until the others catch up.
My tallest plant is about 6 inches from the bottom of the light. When I checked on my girls they all look like they are catching except one. All of them look healthy and my PH is around a 7 or less. I have to honestly say that the fox farm soil has worked out great, I have not had to add nutes yet. I suppose when they begin to bloom I will use some nutes. So when all my plants reach the light, that’s when I raise the light to 18-20 inches above the plants?.
Regards,
Rick0662

absolutely… different phenotypes, age of seeds…exact composition of soil…lots of things can affect how fast they grow. I have three, and the one that came up first is about 1/3 smaller than the one that came up 12 hours later… for a few days there the last one to come up was double the size of the other two but they have caught up a bit in the past 36 hours or so…sometimes those that run small throughout the grow turn out to be the best producers too… autos are pretty cool but the science is not perfect so expectations are often incorrect, lol. we have a guy on here who had to grow his auto four months…over a month past the others because it just would not finish and it was near five feet tall when done. Lots of surprises!! But yours look good and healthy so I would not be concerned… if you are worried about space maybe try some light LST with the taller one?

Oak,
I just copied and pasted to your reply what I sent to ILGM. I would like your opinion. I just moved my temp/humidity gauge onto a pot.

What is LST?.

LST stands for “Low Stress Training”… it is the art and act of gently bending your plant over and anchoring it down… it helps limit height , but the big benefit is that it exposes lower areas of the plant to greater light so you get more growth out of the lower areas, bigger buds, denser buds,…and much more weight at harvest… look around the forum here and you will see lots of folks using lst…it is best done when young and is fairly simple…main point is to be gentle with your girl.
In regards to your light distance… hmmm…I would try to follow the recommended distances… but from the tallest plant…if you base your distance on the lower plant you may burn your tall plants… the lower plants will stretch to the light to catch up.
however… you can use lst on the taller plants…which will help fill out their lower areas… and that way your shorter plants do not have to stretch, so you get closer node spacing and bushier plants.

Thank you for the info. The lower plants seem to be catching up since I moved around the pots. Exposing the smaller ones to more light. I will research lst.